Brewer Fanatic

Corey Hart gets 3 year, $26.5 million contract extension

Invader3K

Hart gets his wish.

While his name was being bandied about on the trade rumor mill in

recent weeks, Hart repeatedly said he wanted to stay with the Brewers

and sign a contract extension rather than being dealt to another club.

That wish came true Monday morning when the Brewers announced that

Hart agreed to a three-year extension through the 2013 season. The deal

buys out the final year of the 28-year-old right fielder’s arbitration

eligibility in 2011 as well as his first two years of free agency.

No financial terms were released but the deal is probably worth close

to $25 million. Hart is making $4.8 million this season, and probably

would have been in line for a $6-7 million salary in 2011 after a big

2010 season.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I'm ok with this.

Taking into account the newer info about the Brewers working with Lawrie and Gamel at different positions, I'd like to think that between these three guys we'll have RF, 1B, and 3B taken care of well. It also makes me think they're working on an extension with Weeks.

...but not to take this off course already...congrats to Corey, I sure hope you keep it up for the duration of your contract.

I have to admit I didn't expect to wake up this morning and see this but I think I am happy with the news. I thought they might wait until the offseason to see what his trade value was and then decide whether or not to extend his contract. It sounded like Corey really wanted to stay in Milwaukee which is always nice.

I think it's a bit of a risk, but a calculated one.

And yeah, it was definitely nice to hear repeatedly how much Hart wanted to stay. It's nice as a fan to hear a player be so enthusiastic about wanting to be part of the team long term.

The article also mentions they will probably try to extend Weeks, which I know a lot of people here would love to see.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I think I'm ok with this.

Me too. I'm glad it's only 3 years, so that if "Old Corey" comes back we're not handcuffed too bad. It probably also keeps him somewhat tradable as well, assuming there is no "no-trade" clause. Not that that matters, since the Brewers seem to be against trading veterans if it hurts their feelings.

If Hart keeps performs near what he's done this year, this deal will be good for everyone. Hopefully we're not buying high on one of our own players.

I'm okay with this as long as they plan on moving Gamel to first base and Lawrie to third. Reasonable contract money-wise too.
They could also try to move Hart to 1B, but you are right a corner OF spot seemed likely for at least one of those two. Hopefully one can stick at 3rd and the other 1B or RF. If they lock up weeks long-term the lineup should be pretty set.

1b- Gamel/Hart

2b- Weeks

SS - Escobar (as long as he improves)

3B - McGahee or Gamel with Casey becoming a trade chip after this year. In 2011 hopefully Lawrie will be here

LF - Braun

CF - Cain

RF - Hart//Gamel

C - Lucroy

The rotation still needs a lot of work, hopefully Prince being dealt can get us some arms.

With my fan cap solidly on, I'm delighted by this news...though I actually wondered for a moment if it was an "August Fool" post.

But echoing others, Corey, please keep producing. Don't make me look like a doofus!

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

As someone repeatedly said here, actions speak louder than words. Hart wanted to stay, and he did. He just wasn't going to sign for less than he believed he was worth.

Assuming Prince isn't going to stay, and I don't know anyone who thinks he will, the Brewers will have money to afford Hart and retain all their current players, plus have some money to spend on free agents. And given that it's a three year extension, he will be a free agent again when most of the young talent that will be on the team will be in the arbitration years, or before.

Really, really surprised that its only 3 years. This emans that Hart isn't goign to eb able to get a big money deal that carries him to his mid 30s. I winder if there isn't a 4th year option that vests with palying time.

$8m per is also really cheap, I wonder if Haudricort knows something because how its written it could be just him guessing. I'd think 3yrs/$30m would be more in line but we'll see.

If it is 3/$25, I'd be pretty thrilled. It's not a ton of money, and it's a short enough deal that it makes sense for everyone involved. The Brewers buy out two years of free agency, while Hart will have this deal to prove that this season isn't a fluke. He'll be 31 when this is up and still would have a good chance to sign a "big money" deal.

The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if this is a sign the Brewers not only know they won't be signing Prince to an extension, but won't be worrying about paying him $15 million+ next season, either. But that's a thought for a different thread.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I really don't think they are going to move Corey to 1st. He's an All star in RF and he hasn't played 1st base since what AA? 6 or 7 years ago. Brewers would be dumb to do that.

He was an all-star RF because of his bat, not his glove. His OF defense is not irreplaceable. That being said, I don't presume to know what his long-term defensive future is. Sounds like Gamel is going to get exposure at 1B too so it's not as if Corey to 1B is a foregone conclusion. My preference will be for whatever gives us the best defense.

So long as Corey stays committed to working hard and performs well, I'm happy to have him on the team in whatever capacity helps us eventually win a championship http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

If it is 3/$25, I'd be pretty thrilled. It's not a ton of money, and it's a short enough deal that it makes sense for everyone involved. The Brewers buy out two years of free agency, while Hart will have this deal to prove that this season isn't a fluke. He'll be 31 when this is up and still would have a good chance to sign a "big money" deal.

The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if this is a sign the Brewers not only know they won't be signing Prince to an extension, but won't be worrying about paying him $15 million+ next season, either. But that's a thought for a different thread.

The Brewers will have more money than they could likely spend next year, so this has no bearing on being able to afford Fielder.

Really, really surprised that its only 3 years. This emans that Hart isn't goign to eb able to get a big money deal that carries him to his mid 30s. I winder if there isn't a 4th year option that vests with palying time.

$8m per is also really cheap, I wonder if Haudricort knows something because how its written it could be just him guessing. I'd think 3yrs/$30m would be more in line but we'll see.

That is what I thought as well. 8 million a year seemed really cheap. I mean what was he going to get in arbitration next year? If it would have been around 6 or 7 million that means we essentially signed him for 2/18 which seems really good.

If it's $25 million, is this a bad sign for Prince / Boras? Is someone really going to guarantee Prince $100 Million more than we're guaranteeing Corey Hart, when Hart is coming off a better season than Prince at the plate (and Hart being more valuable on defense and at the plate than Prince)?

I'm happy to hear this one, I'm a sucker for guys with a good speed/power combination.

I think the team took their best shot at signing Prince, and have now moved on to keeping Hart and Weeks.

Gamel is changing positions, and I believe Lawrie is as well.

Mr Weeks...please report to Mr Melvin's office.

Archived