Brewer Fanatic

Royals extend Yost through 2012

Atlanta may be his dream coaching job, but why take the risk of being unemployed again when you have long-term (at least for an MLB manager) certainty sitting in front of you? Once Fredi Gonzalez got fired, I think he became the early leader for the Atlanta gig, and Yost at least knows the Royals organization a little bit more due to being an "advisor" for the club for quite a few months before being named the manager there.

I'll add another good luck wish. Kansas City has a lot of good young talent set to hit the majors in the next couple years, if the front office stops signing the Kendalls of the world. I'd like to see him get them back to respectability in that division, like he did with the Brewers. You could probably argue he has more immediate help coming in KC than he did in Milwaukee, so maybe this gig will end better for him.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Atlanta may be his dream coaching job, but why take the risk of being unemployed again when you have long-term (at least for an MLB manager) certainty sitting in front of you? Once Fredi Gonzalez got fired, I think he became the early leader for the Atlanta gig, and Yost at least knows the Royals organization a little bit more due to being an "advisor" for the club for quite a few months before being named the manager there.

And would being under contract with the Royals stop Yost from still pursuing the Braves vacancy?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

He might have a gentleman's agreement with the KC front office that he can pursue the Atlanta job if it becomes available, too.

I've heard rumors that Cox may back off his "I'm retiring after this season, period," stance, especially if the Braves go deep in the playoffs this year.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

He benefited from low expectations his first few years in Milwaukee, then got a pretty decent influx of talent. I don't think his teams ever dramatically overachieved. Low expectations go with the territory in KC so he should feel right at home.

I will go so far as to blame Ben Sheets' injury problems directly on Ned Yost overusing him drastically. And despite that, and many other reasons that I was not thrilled with Yost, I would take him in a heartbeat over Ken Macha

Archived