Brewer Fanatic

New Plan for Gamel

crossface21

Or even better, move both guys and get a real 3rd basemen.

Unfortunately, I think this is the real solution. I still believe in Gamel's tools at 3B, but it sounds like he just isn't realistically progressing on defense. To me, McGehee profiles best as a utility player to handle 1B, 3B, & be the emergency catcher. Like rcon notes, his bat doesn't play well enough to be a 1B, and his defense at 3B is very poor. At least Ash lent a glimmer of hope that the Brewers aren't necessarily content with Casey at 3B:

Asked if the decision also was an endorsement of Casey McGehee at third base in the majors, Ash said, "I wouldn't read it that way. You just don't want to limit your options."
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Maybe I have completely missed this somewhere but would Taylor Green be a viable replacement at 3rd base for 2012? Or is he not in the conversation though because he's sitting at AA, was injured last year, or it's still too early to tell? I know it would mean at least another season of McGehee or a crappy replacement, but at this point next year is going to be a rebuilding year anyway.

I guess my only question is why did it take them this long to move Gamel off of 3rd? This should have been the plan before the season even started.

They also better figure out what they want to do with Weeks real soon because Lawrie may need a change of position as well.

I think they'll try to extend Weeks. Haudricourt hinted at that recently, if I'm not mistaken. I think the general feeling is that the makeup of the team for the next season or two is really up in the air, and at least they're trying to keep their options open.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I was really hoping Gamel could pull it together at third, but if he can be an average right fielder, this move will probably be a good thing. McGehee is borderline terrible defensively, but he has produced at the plate and is probably a bit too portly to move anywhere but first, where he would have little value. Taylor Green is having a bounce-back season in AA this year, and Lawrie could probably move over as well, although I'd rather have him stick at 2nd unless Weeks is extended.

I was wondering today (assming Prince gets moved) if Hart to 1st, Gamel to RF and another year of Casey at 3rd is what (currently) is the plan.

I don't see how this improves the defense much.

Yeah hopefully now they take the same steps with Lawrie. Let him play first base and right field for a little while. That way you'll be able to look at Lawrie and Gamel and see which one is a better fit for each position. It's nice that they are finally somewhat acknowledging that they will need to replace Fielder soon.

Here's a blurb from McCalvy on the situation. This proves the theory of Lawrie being a solution at 3b.

Gamel to play some first base, outfield

HOUSTON -- Top Brewers prospect Mat Gamel made his first career start in right field on Saturday for Triple-A Nashville, and it's not the only new position being added to his repertoire.

Gamel will continue to primarily play third base, but starts in right field and at first base will be "sprinkled" into his schedule, assistant general manager Gord Ash said. It's an effort to speed Gamel's ascension to the Majors and cover the Brewers in case they trade right fielder Corey Hart or first baseman Prince Fielder.

"You don't want to limit your options," Ash said. "I went there three weeks ago or so, and we talked about the fact that in order for him to come to the big leagues and get at-bats, he's going to have to play a few different places. So we've gone from the practice to games."

Gamel has been practicing in the outfield and at first base for weeks. The Brewers are in the beginning stages of a similar project with 2008 first-round Draft pick Brett Lawrie, a primary second baseman. Lawrie has been taking grounders at third base and also working in the outfield, but probably will not play those alternate positions until after this season. Lawrie could be a candidate for the Arizona Fall League.

Gamel, meanwhile, will need surgery early in the offseason to repair a left big toe injury that's similar to the one suffered by then-Brewers outfielder Laynce Nix in 2006. So far, Gamel has been able to play with the pain.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

For years now, Gamel's been seen as being nearly as bad or worse of a defensive 3B than Braun was. Errors may hardly paint the full picture, but they're not to be fully ignored, either. Simply put, Gamel doesn't have killer range at 3B and is still an error-making machine. So I don't get how suddenly he's seen as being a far better defensive option at 3B than McGehee.

I see Hart quite possibly being around for a few years (staying in RF), and Weeks even more so (staying at 2B). It's Fielder who seems most inevitably gone. To me, Gamel at 1B only makes sense and gives you the best chance for defensive infield success given the players we currently have.

For years now, Gamel's been seen as being nearly as bad or worse of a defensive 3B than Braun was. Errors may hardly paint the full picture, but they're not to be fully ignored, either. Simply put, Gamel doesn't have killer range at 3B and is still an error-making machine. So I don't get how suddenly he's seen as being a far better defensive option at 3B than McGehee.

I see Hart quite possibly being around for a few years (staying in RF), and Weeks even more so (staying at 2B). It's Fielder who seems most inevitably gone. To me, Gamel at 1B only makes sense and gives you the best chance for defensive infield success given the players we currently have.

What about Gamel in RF and Hart at 1b. Hart's not exactly great in RF. I think that would yield similar results. But I think that Gamel will be put at 1b as you said. Lawrie will be McGehee's replacement at 3b.

I'm not sure where you've seen or heard this, but it contradicts every single thing I've read. Gamel has huge range, and is a MUCH better defender than Braun ever was at 3B. His errors are almost all throwing/footwork related, which is why it has frustrated Don Money so much.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Assume weeks get an extension. there are 3 players for 3 positions (1B, 3B, and RF). what is the ideal combination for McGehee, Gamel, and Lawrie???

I am thinking Lawrie 3B, Gamel RF, and McGehee 1B.

But now Hart has gone public and says he wants anextention. More assumptions... Hart stays in RF, Weeks at 2B, Lawrie moves at 3B, and Gamel at 1B. I am taking out McGehee because he has the lowest ceiling.

I there a better combination?

Assume weeks get an extension. there are 3 players for 3 positions (1B, 3B, and RF). what is the ideal combination for McGehee, Gamel, and Lawrie???

I am thinking Lawrie 3B, Gamel RF, and McGehee 1B.

But now Hart has gone public and says he wants anextention. More assumptions... Hart stays in RF, Weeks at 2B, Lawrie moves at 3B, and Gamel at 1B. I am taking out McGehee because he has the lowest ceiling.

I there a better combination?

No, I like that combination. I'd leave McGehee out as well.

Gamel has huge range, and is a MUCH better defender than Braun ever was at 3B. His errors are almost all throwing/footwork related, which is why it has frustrated Don Money so much.

This is what disappoints me so much too. His range at third can be downright jaw-dropping. Even in his brief stint with the big club last season, he made a handful of plays that I doubt many other 3Bs in the league could have made. He has the range & arm strength to be an elite defender at 3B. Whether it ultimately comes down to that he hasn't or won't put the effort in, or that he just isn't able to 'figure it out' no matter how much he works, ultimately Brewers fans shouldn't be too upset if he winds up in the corner OF. His bat will play well enough imo to be an asset at any position. The guy is probably, right now, the ideal #2 hitter for almost any MLB lineup.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

TooLiveBrew wrote:

The guy is probably, right now, the ideal #2 hitter for almost any MLB lineup.

Unless of course you have a left handed lead off hitter. I would agree though, he would be a top of the order guy on almost any club.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

PrinceEatMeat wrote:

Unless they deem that Cain or Escobar can leadoff, which I don't see happening right away.

Are you suggesting they learned something from batting Gomez #2 for a good part of the season?

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived