Brewer Fanatic

Ludwick to Padres, Westbrook to Cardinals, prospects to Indians

And That

they must think Jon Jay can give them pretty close to Ludwick's production. Jay, Rasmus, and Holliday is probably the OF of the future, so Ludwick wasn't going to be in STL much longer. With his salary probably getting up to 9 million in arbitration next year, he'd be tough to trade in the offseason.

Agreed that Westbrook isn't quite equal return though, I would imagine the prospect has to have some potential.

Ludwick has had a total of one completely healthy and productive season in his career. I think the Cards selling high on Ludwick -- from watching him play and hearing about his long circuous route to the majors I don't envision him having a long career.

There's gotta be something in the water in St. Louis. It just seems like they throw Poo-holes and now Holliday out there with a bunch of other guys and the other guys guys play lights out. I doubt that Ludwick is going to do much anywhere else.

Like this trade for all parties involved.

Padres are having a bit of a "fluke" year (not saying they aren't a good club, but a lot of things have gone their way late in games) especially for a team that was cost-cutting last year. Go for it while you've got the chance. I don't like them giving up prospects TOO much, but fine.

The Cardinals are what I wish the Brewers were. Even if they're in it, they're making a move for now and in the future. They still contend without Ludwick and get get some salary cleared and an eye on the future.

The Cleveland Indians will be better than the Brewers next year. They may have to struggle through some lean years, but they know how to build a contender in a small, dying market.

I'm not saying the Brewers had amazing options out there, but I've disliked every Milwaukee deadline in the past 4-5 years aside from CC and Ray Durham. And no, not retroactively, I really didn't like spare part relievers when the ship was sinking or standing pat when you're clearly out of it.

Ludwick has had a total of one completely healthy and productive season in his career. I think the Cards selling high on Ludwick -- from watching him play and hearing about his long circuous route to the majors I don't envision him having a long career.

Westbrook hasn't had a healthy season since 2006 though and has really only had 1 good healthy season in his entire career. This trade could just as easily be a net loss for the Cardinals. This is basically saying Jay is a better replacement of than Suppan is a replacement pitcher and they are probably correct unless Jay totally falls apart.

the indians will not be better than the brewers next year. and i'm not even optimistic about the brewers.
They are only 5 games behind us with selling off assets and no Grady Sizemore.

Masterson might be a very reliable #2 or outside shot of an ace by next year. EDIT: I guess he's not that good. Still may be alright.

They're locked in at SS and leadoff with Asdrubal Cabrera

LaPorta has looked good lately. Good enough to be a reliable 4, 5, or 6.

Santana is a stud.

I'm sure they are loaded with other pitching prospects. And if they want, they have money to spend. Knowing them, they'll spend it on a 2012 run when they start to arrive.

1. SS Cabrera

2. CF Sizemore

3. C Santana

4. RF Choo

5. 1B LaPorta

6. DH Hafner

7. LF Brantley? (Maybe he doesn't fit as a corner OF or #7)

8. 3B Probably some prospect

9. 2B Probably some prospect

They are loading up their pitching stock to go with Masterson. Talbot isn't great but he's probably alright as your #4 or #5.

Masterson is a #3 at best I don't see how you can say that he might be a very reliable #2 an ace is extremely out of the question. When did a low 90's throwing 4.18 FIP pitcher become a reliable #2 or an ace? Masterson is no better than Dave Bush he has nearly the same peripherals as Bush has and you are calling him a future ace possibly or a reliable #2?

I had

a nice response to that all typed up, and then i lost it somehow. To

summarize: I think they've only sold one asset this year, and that was

Westbrook a few hours ago (could easily be forgetting something) and

they probably got better when Sizemore got hurt...he was awful. Anyway,

the lineup looks really nice, I dont think they have the prospects

ready to fill out a good rotation, so theyre still going to struggle

there quite a bit. I agree they're putting together a very nice team,

but its still one, probably two years off. I think the brewers are an

80ish win team next year, the indians probably still have another year+

of growing pains.

the offseason can change all that though (as far as a brewers projection. or the indians i suppose)

Wrong thread, but I do think the Indians will be better than the Brewers next year.

I just don't really see where the Brewers are an 80 win team next year

unless they drastically revamp their pitching. Given that there isn't

much out there for them to do, it is going to be tough. Trade

Fielder/Hart for pitching you say? I just don't see a contender giving

up what Doug wants in valuable MLB pitching and if he finally caves to

the smart idea of AA pitching, then we've wasted another 1/2 year of AA

pitching that could be ready to help given that we'll likely be picking

from the next crop up for 2011.

Masterson is a #3 at best I don't see how you can say that he might be a very reliable #2 an ace is extremely out of the question. When did a low 90's throwing 4.18 FIP pitcher become a reliable #2 or an ace? Masterson is no better than Dave Bush he has nearly the same peripherals as Bush has and you are calling him a future ace possibly or a reliable #2?
My bad, I hadn't checked up on him in quite a while, last I saw he had a great month of June and early July.

You're right, Masterson isn't that good but I'm still banking on the Indians being better than the Brewers next year. The only reason they aren't is that they hold off for one more year and are leaps and bounds better than the Crew in 2012.

I just don't really see where the Brewers are an 80 win team next year

unless they drastically revamp their pitching. Given that there isn't

much out there for them to do, it is going to be tough. Trade

Fielder/Hart for pitching you say? I just don't see a contender giving

up what Doug wants in valuable MLB pitching and if he finally caves to

the smart idea of AA pitching, then we've wasted another 1/2 year of AA

pitching that could be ready to help given that we'll likely be picking

from the next crop up for 2011.

AA pitching = MLB ready pitching. All the offers Melvin has gotten for Prince have been players in A ball.

Archived