Brewer Fanatic

Edwin Jackson traded to White Sox

Which tells you how little Hudson's value actually is. I also wouldn't assume Dave Bush is worth nothing. We haven't reached the deadline yet and could be buyers before all is said and done. It is very much a buyers market right now. I'm glad Melvin has stood pat until now from a trade perspective. On the other hand I kind of wish he'd been a part of the buying at cut sale prices. But then we never know as fans who has no trade clauses to which teams so maybe he has tried. I'm wondering if Melvin thinks the winter will provide even better deals for buying?

The Brewers seem to be a mess right now. Hope the offseason proves me wrong, but there is no evidence of a plan that I can see. Unless of course, treading water and finishing consistently at or below .500 while squandering the prime years of our talented guys is the plan. There is evidence of that.

I don't see anything that the Brewers could have offered the Dbacks that they would be interested in for Jackson and I am not sure that would have been a good idea to trade for Jackson. I don't think the DBacks would be interested in Parra maybe Butler or Rivas but the Brewers would have had to of added another prospect or two for that deal to work and I am not sure that is something the Brewers should do.

Agreed that I wouldn't want Jackson. Wondering, though, with the glut of pitchers we have now, why haven't we moved a guy like Bush, Hoffman, etc, to clear up the roster if nothing else. Those guys aren't coming back next year. Why are we hanging on to them? If it's to finish 3rd instead of 4th, color me displeased.

With Bush there hasn't been much in terms of action not many teams are asking about him or are not interested in him. The Brewers are going to have to wait until Lilly and others are off the market to be able to trade Bush and that will probably be after the deadline and will be a waiver type trade. Hoffman is going to be in the same boat as Edmonds in that the Brewers are going to ask them if it is OK for them to trade them more so with Hoffman it is just one of those unwritten silly rules in baseball about veterans.

Hoffman is going to be in the same boat as Edmonds in that the Brewers are going to ask them if it is OK for them to trade them more so with Hoffman it is just one of those unwritten silly rules in baseball about veterans.
I don't find it silly at all.

Some people around here (maybe it's just one who repeatedly states this) think the Brewers could have/should have traded for Edwin Jackson, but the reality is that he's had one good year so far. Despite the no-hitter this year he has an ERA over 5.00 and a WHIP of almost 1.50. He's just not as good as people think he is.

I'm super disappointed we weren't able to work a deal with the White Sox for Daniel Hudson. His ceiling might be a 4th or 5th starter, but is that a bad thing for this team?
Depends what you had to give up. We have quite a few minor league pitcher who will be at least 4th-5th guys.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Some people around here (maybe it's just one who repeatedly states this) think the Brewers could have/should have traded for Edwin Jackson, but the reality is that he's had one good year so far. Despite the no-hitter this year he has an ERA over 5.00 and a WHIP of almost 1.50. He's just not as good as people think he is.

Not only that, but Melvin should have lost his job because he didn't trade for this guy or similar young/cheap flamethrowers.

The one thing baseball has taught me is that pitching is a complete crapshoot no matter how you acquire it. No one can prove otherwise to me. Because of this I cannot fault Melvin very much when it comes to pitching acquired or not acquired. It's a total roll of the dice and Dougie hasn't have very much luck on his side.

logan3825 wrote: Depends what you had to give up. We have quite a few minor league pitcher who will be at least 4th-5th guys.

this is pretty ambitious thinking. just look at the language of what you wrote. according to that pitching problems solved we already have our 2nd-5th level starters in the system now with left overs to fight it out of the 6th and 7th fill in slots. I disagree, what we might have is odorizzi and maybe rivas who could be 4th or 5th guys, maybe a 2nd or 3rd for odorizzi, but not "at least".

not trying to pick a fight with you, I'm just saying clearly hudson is further along at this point and I think a better effort should of been made to pry him loose from Chicago.

Which tells you how little Hudson's value actually is. I also wouldn't assume Dave Bush is worth nothing. We haven't reached the deadline yet and could be buyers before all is said and done. It is very much a buyers market right now. I'm glad Melvin has stood pat until now from a trade perspective. On the other hand I kind of wish he'd been a part of the buying at cut sale prices. But then we never know as fans who has no trade clauses to which teams so maybe he has tried. I'm wondering if Melvin thinks the winter will provide even better deals for buying?
Hudson's first start with D-Backs: 8 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4K.

The White Sox got absolutely fleeced in this deal. I have a bet with a Sox fan friend of mine that Hudson will out perform Jackson the rest of this season. Only reason Sox made this deal is because they believe Don Cooper made Gavin Floyd and Cooper said he spotted a flaw in Jackson. It's all about the ego of the pitching coach and GM who would get more credit if Jackson pitched well than if Hudson (who's minor league stats are excellent) pitched well.

If Melvin backed off on deal with Sox because he believed Hudson to be a 4th starter, he's going to be proven wrong.

logan3825 wrote: Depends what you had to give up. We have quite a few minor league pitcher who will be at least 4th-5th guys.

this is pretty ambitious thinking. just look at the language of what you wrote. according to that pitching problems solved we already have our 2nd-5th level starters in the system now with left overs to fight it out of the 6th and 7th fill in slots. I disagree, what we might have is odorizzi and maybe rivas who could be 4th or 5th guys, maybe a 2nd or 3rd for odorizzi, but not "at least".

not trying to pick a fight with you, I'm just saying clearly hudson is further along at this point and I think a better effort should of been made to pry him loose from Chicago.

Why would we trade guys for a guy who is at best a 4th-5th guy. We have plenty of those guys already in our system. We have Josh Butler who has already pitched in the majors and could easily be called up right now if necessary. We also have several players who will be in AA next year which is also one call away from the majors. We don't need another 4th-5th pitcher. If we are trading for pitchers we should be trading for top of the rotation guys, not back end guys. You said yourself he is a 4th-5th guy. We already have plenty in the minors.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived