Brewer Fanatic

Capps traded to Minnesota

ELCABALLO45

Well, I guess Ramos had a lot less value to Minnesota than to other teams, but even given his struggles this year (which I admittedly just looked up), this seems like a lot to give up for a mediocre to good reliever.

I live in Minnesota and am married into a family of Twins fans, and after discussing this, we came to the consensus that this is stupid. You can't find a 3.50 ERA guy for less than Wilson Ramos? If Joe Mauer tears his ACL tomorrow, Drew Butera is not going to be the answer to a playoff run. The Twins still had at least a year to give up on Ramos.

GREAT move for the Twins......

1) Ramos' stock has fallen like a rock

2) the Twins are still pretty good at catcher http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

To me, this is like selling a stock of a new niche company that has been raved about but is struggling to get their product to market. Its current value is $5, but was at $7 because of it's potential to explode. You've already got the king of that market in your portfolio but this other competitor in the niche market if they can market a different alley could blow up to $20 or $30.

You've traded it for a stock of a company that does paper mail and document printing solutions. They do not do it at a business enterprise level. Their stock just went from $6 to $7 because they landed a large deal with a company desperate for a quick and cheap solution, but this is not going to be a common thing going forward.

Is Capps even going to close? It's not like Rauch has been bad.
Capps will close, Rauch moves to the 8th inning, says ESPN.

I really can't wrap my head around this deal. It's so unlike the Twins to make a trade like this, and I would've thought if they were going to trade Ramos, it would be for a starter.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

If Joe Mauer tears his ACL tomorrow, Drew Butera is not going to be the answer to a playoff run.

Who cares? If Mauer tears his ACL, I would suggest Wilson Ramos is not going to be the answer to replacing arguably the best player in baseball either. If Mauer teras his ACL, the Twins are done, Wilson Ramos or no Wilson Ramos.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
To me, this is like selling a stock of a new niche company that has been raved about but is struggling to get their product to market. Its current value is $5, but was at $7 because of it's potential to explode. You've already got the king of that market in your portfolio but this other competitor in the niche market if they can market a different alley could blow up to $20 or $30.

You've traded it for a stock of a company that does paper mail and document printing solutions. They do not do it at a business enterprise level. Their stock just went from $6 to $7 because they landed a large deal with a company desperate for a quick and cheap solution, but this is not going to be a common thing going forward.

this hurt my brain... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Yeah, I dont get this. What it tells me is that pitching is extremely OVER valued, despite its admittedly high value otherwise. Price Fielder and/or Corey Hart cant bring back a comparable pitching prospect, but a reliever that is the definition of average and is overpaid to boot brings back the #2 prospect in the Twins system.

for all the grief I have been giving Melvin, i now want Bill Smith fired as well. This would be like us trading Matt Gamel for Chad Cordero last year... wow, just wow. Great trade for the Nats. Ramos + should have netted Lee, Oswalt, or atleast Lilly, and instead we got a mediocre reliever.

Maybe BF.net nation is correct, doing nothing is better than doing something stupid.

Doug's statements about trading pitching at the deadline ring very true. Capps is more like Todd Coffey than an elite reliever, as I showed at Ramblings last night. Nice addition, but worth a top C prospect? Hardly.

If the Twins wanted him so bad, he was available for free last winter. They're paying a premium for saves, which is just absurd.

for all the grief I have been giving Melvin, i now want Bill Smith fired as well. This would be like us trading Matt Gamel for Chad Cordero last year... wow, just wow. Great trade for the Nats. Ramos + should have netted Lee, Oswalt, or atleast Lilly, and instead we got a mediocre reliever.

Not picking on you but if the trade was made then obviously that is the value not what fans think their players are worth. I think it's a high price as well. We paid a premium price for a couple months of Sabathia. We did so because we had a first baseman and left fielder already so LaPorta was essentially a spare part. It got us four extra games and we all thought it was worth it. Years later most still do. I realize the difference between Sabathia and Capps is huge so was the price we paid to get him compared to Capps.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

"...I live in Minnesota and am married into a family of Twins fans..."

Looks like And That has constructed his own personal Hades.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Not picking on you but if the trade was made then obviously that is the value not what fans think their players are worth. I think it's a high price as well. We paid a premium price for a couple months of Sabathia. We did so because we had a first baseman and left fielder already so LaPorta was essentially a spare part. It got us four extra games and we all thought it was worth it. Years later most still do. I realize the difference between Sabathia and Capps is huge so was the price we paid to get him compared to Capps.

I would have zero problems if the Twins traded Ramos for a rental of Haren, Oswalt, or Lee. A big time impact player (even as a rental) is worth a premium prospects or a few premium prospects. Capps is NOT an impact player. Why anyone would trade a premium prospect for a rental of a medicore player is mind boggling

How much is a catcher with mediocre power who gets on base less than 30% of time worth? He never got many walks to start with and that got worse as he hit AA and AAA. Decent contact hitter with no patience. Maybe he's a great defensive catcher which would add a lot of value but I just don't see a guy who can't take a walk and has mediocre power being all that valuable. IOW he's not a slam dunk can't miss prospect.

I think sometimes people put too much stock into how high a guy is rated in the system vs how good he actually is.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I would have to agree with Backupcatchers... The Twins have always been a team that has been pretty good at knowing what they have in a player and getting the most out of their farm system. If they're making this trade one would think it's because they believe Ramos was overrated and wanted to get something before his stock fell off a cliff.

If Joe Mauer tears his ACL tomorrow, Drew Butera is not going to be the answer to a playoff run.

Who cares?

Twins fans, probably. If Mauer blows out his knee and isn't able to play catcher again regularly, you have to give yourself a fighting chance at catcher for the next few years. I don't think Butera has that fighting chance.

Who cares?

Twins fans, probably. If Mauer blows out his knee and isn't able to play catcher again regularly, you have to give yourself a fighting chance at catcher for the next few years. I don't think Butera has that fighting chance.

Ramos wouldn't give them a fighting chance either. He's a soon to be 23 year old with a 625 OPS in AAA. He is simply the most overrated prospect in baseball. I'm still waiting for BaseballAmerica to admit his ranking was a typo. His breakout season last year was a sub-800 small sample OPS. His defense might earn him a spot as a big leahie back-up, if his increasing size doesn't detract from that part of his game too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

KAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHNNNNN!!!!

oh wait, wrong team...right?

Haha, first thing I thought of when I read this was Bill Simmons and that Stark Trek clip.

Don't get this move at all by the Twins. What has Rauch really done to get removed from the closers role? He's 21 of 25 with a 3 ERA and a very good K/BB ratio. Seems pretty ridiculous. Oh and it hurts my fantasy team as Rauch was one of my closers. Damn.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Archived