Brewer Fanatic

Is Hoffman or another relief pitcher being dealt?

Sounds like we won't activate Hawkins until Saturday so it does look like someone will be moved. Who do you think it will be? Logical choices are Hoffman and Riske. Do we get anything of value for either one of those two?

Hoffman has been pitching pretty well of late, and with his salary there is no way you can offer him arby for next year. We have a closer now. I'd take anything I could get for Hoffman. I'd be willing to guess you could get a decent A ball pitcher for him.

We would have to pay most of Hoffman's salary to trade him. Pretty doubtful.

Coffey or Riske would be the most likely target, IMO.

And we would have to pay all of his salary to let him continue to pitch in mop up duty for a sub .500 team.

I'd rather shell out the money (or Mark A's money) and acquire someone with potential opposed to keeping Hoffman for two more months so he can pitch on a team that is going nowhere.

I don't see the downside of paying the rest of Hoffman's salary this year. The money is already allocated. If it can help get a decent prospect in return, what's the real issue?

He should have some value. I saw a stat that said in his last 15 appearances, he has an ERA well below 2.00. Some team could use him down the stretch, I have to believe.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

There's an article on milwaukeebrewers.com about this. Hoffman has a partial no trade clause, so he has some say on the matter. As it stands, Villanueva has been sent down to make room for Hawkins in the 25 man, and Zaun is going to be sent to the 60-day to make room on the 40-man. McCalvy speculated that the Brewers may wait until Saturday to send Villy down in case a trade was made, but he was sent down after yesterday's game. I don't know if there are any service time issues, a la JJ Hardy.

I would think Hoffman could get traded, as could Coffey (one year of arby left). I doubt we'd see any takers on Riske. Hawkins' injury and the year remaining on his deal probably make him untradeable.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Invader3K[/b]]Assuming he is dealt to a contender, why would he want to block a trade at this point? It's not like he's playing for much in Milwaukee at this point.
Yeah, no kidding. He's pretty much pitching mop-up duty for a team not even in contention. Doesn't sound like much fun to me.

I have one of those friend-of-a-friend things, but in speaking with someone who knows Trevor, he is the type that likes to settle into a city/team. That's why he was willing to pay for something like $4MM in San Diego before they withdrew the offer, and why I don't even think he talked with anyone other than the Brewers this offseason.

That said, I'd have to think that he'd jump at the chance to be an "everyday closer" again, as he would like to get to 600. One would think he'd like a shot at the post-season as well, since he's not exactly young anymore, so his chances are running out.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

why I don't even think he talked with anyone other than the Brewers this offseason.

Could also be because he signed his current contract the day after the season was over and we paid him like an elite closer.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Ken Rosenthal tweeteth:

#RedSox asked about #Brewers' Hoffman; Theo knows him from days w #Padres. Red Sox are 1 of 5 teams on Hoffman's no-trade list and #Brewers not inclined to move him. Good influence on Axford, Braddock. Brewers also getting hits on RHRs Villanueva, Coffey
More dissimilar information on Hoffman's no trade clause. Good.

I'm not sure what sort of value the Brewers would get for Villanueva at this very moment. Maybe an A-ball version of Villanueva.

Hope they look at trading away Coffey and Riske, though. There are still some more guys in AAA who the Brewers should look at to keep their bullpen cheap (McClendon, Kintzler, Lofgren, Johnson).

Villanueva was sent down so nothing in neccesity at this point. Theres a report that BOS was interested in possibly acquiring Hoffman but the Brewers didn't have any interest in trading him.

Why would we have any interest in trading anyone... we have a 0.00000000003% chance at making the playoffs. We should be buying!!!

~Bill Walsh

If I was a GM looking for a reliever the only two I'd ask about are Axford & Loe ....I'd inquire about Braddock too because of his potential

....think about it, if a team is a legit playoff contender who else from the Brewers bullpen is currently pitching playoff-caliber ball? the rest are either bad, inconsistent or bad & expensive

Teams know that the Brewers won't trade their young, cheap, and good bullpen arms. Sometimes experience counts almost as much as results. Hoffman has been pitching pretty well lately, and he obviously knows how to close a game. I'm actually surprised the Brewers haven't given him a chance to close a game here or there lately to raise his value a bit. But I can definitely see why another team would ask about him. The Brewers wouldn't get much, but something is better than nothing.

If I was a GM looking for a reliever the only two I'd ask about are Axford & Loe ....I'd inquire about Braddock too because of his potential

....think about it, if a team is a legit playoff contender who else from the Brewers bullpen is currently pitching playoff-caliber ball? the rest are either bad, inconsistent or bad & expensive

You wouldn't get any of those three.

The Rosenthal(ugh) tweet states that we are not inclined to deal Hoffman. How could we not be inclined to trade a guy that only pitches if we have a .0003 chance of winning the game or if we have managed to score 15 runs. I completely understand keeping Hart, Fielder, and even Bush, but not burning up the phones looking to get rid of Counsell, Hoffman, and Edmonds is completely asinine.

It probably has something more to do with Hoffman having his no trade clause. The Brewers probably have already asked Hoffman if it would be OK for them to deal him or it was silently agreed upon when they resigned him that they wouldn't trade him. I am going with the first part where the Brewers asked Hoffman if he would OK a deal prior to talking about trading him and Hoffman said no.

Archived