Brewer Fanatic

Would Wolf be claimed on Waivers?

Oshkoshian

With a number of teams looking for starting pitching do you think someone would claim Randy Wolf if he was put him on waivers. I know he isn't very good but if a team really needed a starter do you think the brewers could get rid of his contract by putting him on waivers.

(edit: made title clearer --1992)

the brewers technically could move him without having to put him on waivers. that being said i don't think anyone is going to want to pick up the 3 remaining years on his contract after how he has performed this year.

With a number of teams looking for starting pitching do you think someone would claim Randy Wolf if he was put him on waivers.

Well, I guess we'll find out, because they most assuredly will put him on waivers. Somehow I suspect he'll be a Brewer on Opening Day next year.

With a number of teams looking for starting pitching do you think someone would claim Randy Wolf if he was put him on waivers.

Well, I guess we'll find out, because they most assuredly will put him on waivers. Somehow I suspect he'll be a Brewer on Opening Day next year.

The Brewers should get a little creative in moving him. If one of the big market teams wants Prince or Hart, they should have to take Wolf as well. I wouldn't have a problem taking a bad contract back in return provided it ended this year or next year.

If one of the big market teams wants Prince or Hart, they should have to take Wolf as well.
At which point, we don't trade Prince or Hart to that team.

Wolf's value has almost nowhere left to go but up. Not that anyone would trade anything of value for him right now, but I'm guessing that we might be able to get more for him at this point next year, even if only because his contract will have one less year on it.

I think a trade of either Hart or Fielder to include Wolf would be genious. It's sort of an NBA style trade. Next years contract commitments prior to arbitration raises would be 16 million. Prince and Wolf for a low level, unlikely to ever produce minor leaguer would be a tough sell to the common fan but all of that payroll flexibility... Is there a rule against this sort of trade? They could even try to get a team to take on LaTroy Hawkins and his 4.25 million bringing next years payroll under 12 million.

What's the point of making our payroll that small? It won't help land a top tier FA like Cliff Lee because of the risk involved with so much payroll going to one player. All it would do is give us the flexibility to sign more Wolf and Hawkins type players. If that's all we can do why not just keep the ones we have?
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I think the Suppan contract makes Wolf's contract seem worse than it really is. Wolf is getting less and is a better pitcher. I wouldn't be all that surprised if he actually earned (earned being a relative term) his money in the future years.

Full disclaimer. I wanted the Brewers to sign Wolf two years ago and was happy to see them sign him last off season. So I may very well be biased on that.

i agree in principal that trying to get rid of dead money is a good idea, but i think it'd be a bad move for the Brewers if we did that. we wouldn't have much of an addition by subtraction because then what do we do about finding another starter? we'd be replacing Wolf with essentially Wolf, only cheaper.

and what do we do with all this salary we save? fielding a cheap team that loses 90 games (figuring we lose good players like Prince and don't get much in return) brings back too many bad memories. no, with all that budget room, the fans would demand we sign somebody big like a Cliff Lee. and if we did and Cliff Lee turned out to be a Randy Wolf, then we've just put ourselves in the same bad situation but worse.

you'd probably get Melvin to agree that you can't build a winning team through free agency. so where does that leave us if we're selling Fielder for a nothing prospect just to get rid of Wolf?

Well if they could dump Wolf with Prince, they could use the $9 million or so due to him in 2012 to help lure Prince back once he realizes how much he misses Milwaukee.

Seriously, dumping Wolf would free up a lot of cash to go towards an extension for Rickie, and leave a bunch of extra money of the books to play around with.

With Lawrie in the minors I don't think Weeks is replaceable after next season. Especially given his injury history. I could see them trying to do a trade for someone like Oswalt to bring in a legitimate stud with a big contract with the money saved but really that's the only way they could spend that much to get good players in the short term wihtout screwing up the salary long term.

Seriously, dumping Wolf would free up a lot of cash to go towards an extension for Rickie, and leave a bunch of extra money of the books to play around with.

I don't think Weeks is likely to get more than $8M a year. 2B don't get paid much. We really don't need to free up money to sign him.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Even the Yankees wouldn't take on that contract. It was a lot of money for his career year production last year in a pitchers haven, what could we really have expected from a guy with HR issues at a HR haven ballpark?

I still don't think Wolf is all that dis-similar to Ted Lilly. Both give up a ton of HR. The difference is that Wolf's walks are way up this year. There's plenty of interest in Lilly as a rental. If Wolf were to put together 3 good starts in a row, given his history, there would likely be some type of market for him, but the return in players wouldn't be much because of his contract. Given that Brewers are dropping plenty of payroll already, I doubt they are that motivated to move him.

I think he would almost definitely be picked up by someone. He has had a bad year but doesn't have a bad track record and a lot of playoff caliber teams have worse guys starting for them.

Archived