Brewer Fanatic

2010 Arizona Fall League -- Season for Brewers now complete

No scouts like his bat, but he keeps hitting, he leads his AFL team in hitting even.
From SI article on the AFL...

Scout's take: "I might be going out on a little limb.... He is going to play in the big leagues and be a good player.... He swings the bat, plays the game, plays defense, has got a little flair but not too much.... Just remember that name: Eric Farris."

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BA posted their top 10 prospects from the AFL today (subscribers link), with Bryce Harper being named #1:

http://www.baseballameric...league/2010/2610958.html

Jeremy Jeffress didn't make the top 10, but he was mentioned as one of six others to watch:

Jeffress' AFL season was as inconsistent as his minor league career has been since the Brewers drafted him in the first round in 2006. Now working exclusively out of the bullpen, Jeffress fanned 14 batters and walked 12 in 12 innings. Even his velocity fluctuated during the fall, but late in the season he was regularly touching triple digits. His electric performance during a one-inning performance in the Rising Stars game was one of the highlights of the AFL season, when his rising velocity teased fans until the scoreboard at Surprise Stadium registered 99 mph, then 100 and finally 101 in his final two pitches. With Jeffress' well-documented personal issues hopefully behind him, he may be ready to contend for a big league bullpen job in 2011.

From a BA article on Eric Farris:

Brewers roving infield instructor Garth Iorg was on hand for several of Farris' AFL games and came away impressed with his glove work.

"He is an excellent defender," Iorg said. "He has plus range and he turns the double play very well. I think he's a heck of a player. He's a guy you want playing behind you on defense."

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"He is an excellent defender," Iorg said. "He has plus range and he turns the double play very well. I think he's a heck of a player. He's a guy you want playing behind you on defense."

If the Brewers really think Lawrie's long term prospects are at 2B, I've got to think they would at least try Farris at SS at AAA this year. Comments like that about his defense at 2B make you think that he should be at least adequate at SS.

If the Brewers really think Lawrie's long term prospects are at 2B, I've got to think they would at least try Farris at SS at AAA this year. Comments like that about his defense at 2B make you think that he should be at least adequate at SS.

I still think Lawrie's long term home is 3rd, but I'm hoping a Weeks extension will provide the same issues. I'd love to see Farris play some short, CF and 2nd base. If his D is that good at 2nd, you'd hope he could play short at least well enough to be a utility guy.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I think the entire issue with Farris as a shortstop would be arm strength. If he has a decent arm, he should be able to play solid D at SS. If not, he's limited to 2B & maybe 3B.
David Eckstien plays SS. I'm just talking about in a utility role.

And 3rd usually requires a stronger arm than short. I have no idea what type of arm he has, but I have to imagine he's got a good enough one to spell Escobar from time to time.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Well, I guess the AAA 2B spot just opened up for Farris... But regardless, it would be interesting to see him work at SS. Even if he couldn't handle SS everyday, just to spell the SS, he could profile as an excellent utility player.

Archived