Brewer Fanatic

2010 Arizona Fall League -- Season for Brewers now complete

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, those tricky folks in Arizona.

Two Brewer lefties, Dan Merklinger and Lucas Luetge, have been transferred to join newly acquired RHP Justin James on the Phoenix Desert Dogs squad. Each had been part of the Surprise taxi squad, meaning they'd pitch on Wednesdays and Saturdays only. Today's Wednesday, so Merklinger started and Luetge followed. Each probably hoped to fare better, but at least three of the four runs Merklinger were allowed were unearned. Saturday is the Rising Stars' game, so these two may have to wait another week to see action --

Merklinger: 2 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 1 GB vs. 1 FO, 43 pitches (31 strikes)

Luetge: 2 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 5 GB vs. 0 FO, 32 pitches (17 strikes)

The Desert Dogs lost, 8-0 to fall to 6-13.

Peo Saguaros Top of the 1st

• Ben Revere grounds out, second baseman Jose Pirela to first baseman Jerry Sands.
  • Eduardo Escobar triples (3) on a sharp line drive to center fielder Trayvon Robinson.
  • Dave Sappelt doubles (2) on a fly ball to left fielder Brandon Laird. Eduardo Escobar scores.
  • Jose Ruiz singles on a soft ground ball to shortstop Ryan Curry. Dave Sappelt scores. Jose Ruiz to 2nd. Throwing error by shortstop Ryan Curry.
  • Joe Benson strikes out swinging.
  • Leslie Anderson flies out to left fielder Brandon Laird.

Peo Saguaros Top of the 2nd

• Jason Bour reaches on throwing error by third baseman Stephen Parker. Jason Bour to 2nd.
  • Kris Negron strikes out swinging.
  • Andy Parrino singles on a ground ball to left fielder Brandon Laird, deflected by shortstop Ryan Curry. Jason Bour scores.
  • With Ben Revere batting, Andy Parrino caught stealing 2nd base, catcher Austin Romine to shortstop Ryan Curry to first baseman Jerry Sands.
  • Ben Revere singles on a soft line drive to left fielder Brandon Laird.
  • Eduardo Escobar singles on a sharp line drive to center fielder Trayvon Robinson. Ben Revere to 3rd.
  • With Dave Sappelt batting, wild pitch by Dan Merklinger, Ben Revere scores. Eduardo Escobar to 2nd.
  • Dave Sappelt strikes out swinging.

Peo Saguaros Top of the 3rd

• Pitcher Change: Lucas Luetge replaces Dan Merklinger.
  • Jose Ruiz grounds out, second baseman Jose Pirela to first baseman Jerry Sands.
  • Joe Benson grounds out, third baseman Stephen Parker to first baseman Jerry Sands.
  • Leslie Anderson hit by pitch.
  • Jason Bour doubles (4) on a sharp line drive to left fielder Brandon Laird. Leslie Anderson scores. Jason Bour out at 3rd on the throw, left fielder Brandon Laird to shortstop Ryan Curry to catcher Austin Romine to third baseman Stephen Parker.

Peo Saguaros Top of the 4th

• Kris Negron grounds out, shortstop Ryan Curry to first baseman Jerry Sands.
  • Andy Parrino singles on a line drive to center fielder Trayvon Robinson.
  • Ben Revere walks. Andy Parrino to 2nd.
  • Eduardo Escobar singles on a soft fly ball to left fielder Brandon Laird. Andy Parrino scores. Ben Revere to 2nd.
  • Dave Sappelt grounds into double play, third baseman Stephen Parker to second baseman Jose Pirela to first baseman Jerry Sands. Eduardo Escobar out at 2nd.

In your "regularly scheduled" Surprise game, the Rafters fell, 9-3, but no Brewers pitched, so that's OK.

Despite the loss, the Rafters turned six double plays, a few of the non-traditional variety.

CF Logan Schafer singled his first three times up, then had an RBI groundout as part of a 3-for-5 day. There were also these throws from Logan --

Scottsdale Top of the 4th

• Xavier Avery singles on a line drive to center fielder Logan Schafer.
  • With Steve Lombardozzi batting, Xavier Avery caught stealing 2nd base, catcher Salvador Perez to shortstop Cale Iorg.
  • Steve Lombardozzi flies out to left fielder Jared Bolden.
  • Conor Gillaspie singles on a soft ground ball to third baseman Hunter Morris.
  • Marc Krauss singles on a line drive to left fielder Jared Bolden. Conor Gillaspie to 2nd.
  • Ryan Adams singles on a sharp ground ball to center fielder Logan Schafer, deflected by pitcher Brian Broderick. Conor Gillaspie scores. Marc Krauss out at 3rd, center fielder Logan Schafer to shortstop Cale Iorg.

Scottsdale Top of the 8th

• Pitcher Change: Matt Hoffman replaces Brendan Wise.
  • Ryan Adams singles on a fly ball to center fielder Logan Schafer.
  • Bryce Harper walks. Ryan Adams to 2nd.
  • Caleb Joseph singles on a fly ball to center fielder Logan Schafer. Caleb Joseph to 2nd. Double play, center fielder Logan Schafer to shortstop Cale Iorg to catcher Salvador Perez. Ryan Adams out at home. Bryce Harper out at home. Caleb Joseph to 2nd on the throw.
  • With Ed Easley batting, wild pitch by Matt Hoffman, Caleb Joseph to 3rd.
  • Ed Easley walks.
  • Thomas Field flies out to left fielder Jared Bolden.

2B Eric Farris was 0-for-4 with a fielding error.

RF Caleb Gindl tripled in four trips. Half of his 14 hits have gone for extra bases (1.006 OPS in 44 AB's).

Hunter Morris played a clean third base (three chances), but was 0-for-4 with two K's.

And yeah, that Bryce Harper kid is pretty good, on base three times...

John Steinmiller -- Making Up For Lost Time: Eric Farris Looks to Return to Nashville in 2011

Also, this from John:

Please e-mail me with any questions you have for Brewers General Manager Doug Melvin regarding any of the players I have written about this week or anything in the Brewers farm system, I will be interviewing him next week as a wrap-up and will take questions from fans as well.

Eric Farris and Caleb Gindl are again batting 2-3, and Logan Schafer is in the 6-spot as Surprise is in action again Friday afternoon, game time 1:30 Central -- here's your Gameday link.

Sorry for the later post, Surprise fell 9-5 on Thursday, Hunter Morris singled in five trips as the first baseman. Brandon Kintzler continued his fine work of late, two perfect innings with four K's, 22 pitches (15 strikes) -- no Gameday pitch speeds.

His Phoenix team was smoked, 10-0, so it was a garbage time appearance, RHP Justin James (stat page) came in with two men on, one out in the 8th (one run scored, then another in the 9th). 1.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 35 pitches / 22 strikes, 2/0 GB/FB

Scottsdale Top of the 8th

• Thomas Field singles on a ground ball to left fielder Jerry Sands.
  • Charles Blackmon walks. Thomas Field to 2nd.
  • Charlie Culberson singles on a line drive to left fielder Jerry Sands. Thomas Field to 3rd. Charles Blackmon to 2nd.
  • Brandon Belt strikes out swinging.
  • Marc Krauss reaches on force attempt, missed catch error by shortstop Tyler Pastornicky, assist to second baseman Ivan De JesusJr. Thomas Field scores. Charles Blackmon scores. Charlie Culberson to 3rd.
  • Pitcher Change: Justin James replaces Lance Sewell.
  • Ryan Adams singles on a line drive to center fielder Cory Harrilchak. Charlie Culberson scores. Marc Krauss to 2nd.
  • Bryce Harper strikes out swinging.
  • Caleb Joseph strikes out swinging.

Scottsdale Top of the 9th

• Ed Easley grounds out, second baseman Ivan De JesusJr. to first baseman Stephen Parker.
  • Thomas Field doubles (1) on a fly ball to center fielder Cory Harrilchak.
  • With Charles Blackmon batting, passed ball by Austin Romine, Thomas Field to 3rd.
  • Charles Blackmon grounds out to first baseman Stephen Parker.
  • Charlie Culberson singles on a sharp ground ball to left fielder Jerry Sands. Thomas Field scores.
  • Brandon Belt strikes out swinging.

Eric Farris (stat page) a fine day (2-for-4, triple, walk, two RBI, SB), that's six steals in as as many attempts.

Caleb Gindl (stat page) a walk and a sacrifice fly.

Logan Schafer (stat page) with a walk, and nice to see, stolen base.

It's now 11.1 consecutive scoreless innings for Mike McClendon (stat page), who is really looking to solidify a spot in April's Brewer bullpen. 22 pitches, 18 strikes, just one hit allowed in two innings, but Surprise fell, 13-5.

Mesa Top of the 6th

• Pitcher Change: Mike McClendon replaces Brandon Sisk.
  • Josh Harrison singles on a line drive to center fielder Logan Schafer.
  • Jeremy Moore grounds into a force out, second baseman Eric Farris to shortstop Cale Iorg. Josh Harrison out at 2nd. Jeremy Moore to 1st.
  • Brandon Wood flies out to left fielder Jared Bolden.
  • Tony Sanchez grounds out, second baseman Eric Farris to first baseman Eric Hosmer.

Mesa Top of the 7th

• Kirk Nieuwenhuis strikes out swinging.
  • Jordy Mercer flies out to left fielder Jared Bolden.
  • Joshua Satin strikes out swinging, catcher Jose Felix to first baseman Eric Hosmer.

Gindl gets the start in LF, but fans twice so far (on 2-2 and 3-2 counts) -- had to face lefties in both AB's. Baseball America's John Manuel is so well-spoken, too bad he's only in the booth for an inning or two, unfortunately during Caleb's 2nd AB, the player discussion focused on others.

From the game story / video recap which included Jeremy Jeffress' final pitch at 101 MPH:

Brewers reliever Jeremy Jeffress created his own jam for the West with a leadoff walk in the seventh, but worked out of it with a pair of strikeouts to end the inning. Displaying perhaps the most impressive heat of the night, he struck out Laird on three consecutive fastballs after falling behind 2-0. Laird didn't offer at one of them, and the last was clocked at 101 mph.

Here's your Gameday link which includes all of Jeffress' speed counts (7th inning).

Video of Jeffress

Caleb Gindl would later ground into a 1-6-3 double play (ball was hit hard, against his 3rd southpaw), popped out in the 8th (finally a RHP), played the whole game.

Goodness gracious, please don't overanalyze, Brewers, and make sure this kid is developed as a starter initially --John Manuel at Baseball America --

In the seventh, righthander Jeremy Jeffress (Brewers) showed off one of the minors' most electric arms, blasting 99 mph heaters past Belt and then hitting 101 mph on scouts' radar guns to strike out Brandon Laird.

"I've faced that guy before," Belt said, "and he was throwing more like 94-96 with movement. Tonight every fastball was 99 and moving, and he dropped in a good curveball too. That made it a little tough. He was pretty good."

Jeffress said he's thrown 101 before, but never had received a standing ovation for it, as he did from part of the crowd Saturday when the stadium gun posted "01" on its two-digit speed-pitch readout.

"I'm really here to work on throwing more changeups," said Jeffress, who made his big league debut this season for Milwaukee, pitching 10 innings with a 2.70 ERA. "I put it in my back pocket for a while, but they wanted me to work on it some more here."

Jeffress' manager, Mike Guerrero (Brewers), said in the pregame that when Jeffress has his breaking ball and changeup to go with that special fastball, "He's unhittable." That was the case Saturday night.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Jeffress is still having command issues as evidenced by his k:BB ratio. Like Gallardo though, he can get around it by striking guys out. He'd be unreal if he could harness that arm.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

John Steinmiller with some reactions from Jeffress and Mike Guerrero, along with pictures of Jeffress and Gindl:

http://brewers.mlblogs.com/assets_c/2010/11/asgjeffress-thumb-360x436-2520471.jpg

http://brewers.mlblogs.com/assets_c/2010/11/gindlASG-thumb-360x447-2519851.jpg

Surprise wins, 6-5 -- Gameday Link includes "pitch-by-pitch" for starter Michael Fiers (his stats page).

Hunter Morris (stats) was 0-for-4, no chances while at third base.

Fiers had his second very good start -- he'll feel good heading into the true off-season --

5 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 1 HR, 64 pitches (47 strikes), 9-to-2 GB-to-FB

Peo Saguaros Top of the 1st

• Ben Revere grounds out, second baseman Johnny Giavotella to first baseman Eric Hosmer.
  • Eduardo Escobar flies out softly to center fielder Derrick Robinson.
  • Leslie Anderson grounds out, shortstop Pete Kozma to first baseman Eric Hosmer.

Peo Saguaros Top of the 2nd

• Devin Mesoraco grounds out, second baseman Johnny Giavotella to first baseman Eric Hosmer.
  • Chris Parmelee singles on a ground ball to center fielder Derrick Robinson, deflected by second baseman Johnny Giavotella.
  • Jose Ruiz grounds into double play, second baseman Johnny Giavotella to shortstop Pete Kozma to first baseman Eric Hosmer. Chris Parmelee out at 2nd.

Peo Saguaros Top of the 3rd

• Kris Negron strikes out swinging.
  • Jared Mitchell grounds out, second baseman Johnny Giavotella to first baseman Eric Hosmer.
  • Andy Parrino grounds out, second baseman Johnny Giavotella to first baseman Eric Hosmer.

Peo Saguaros Top of the 4th

• Ben Revere flies out to center fielder Derrick Robinson.
  • Eduardo Escobar grounds out, second baseman Johnny Giavotella to first baseman Eric Hosmer.
  • Leslie Anderson reaches on throwing error by shortstop Pete Kozma.
  • Devin Mesoraco grounds out, second baseman Johnny Giavotella to first baseman Eric Hosmer.

Peo Saguaros Top of the 5th

• Chris Parmelee called out on strikes.
  • Jose Ruiz doubles (3) on a sharp line drive to right fielder Joey Butler.
  • Kris Negron homers (2) on a fly ball to left field. Jose Ruiz scores.
  • Jared Mitchell strikes out swinging.

Steinmiller with Hunter Morris on his position change:
"It was a much easier transition than I thought it would be," Morris said. "There is always work to be done and always room to improve and I want to continue to get better, but to me, it didn't feel like it was the first time I had played third base since high school. It went a lot smoother than I thought. To be honest, I am more comfortable at third base than first base. It will be great to have both (first base and third base) as options moving forward and will only help me out. I have about four gloves in my locker just in case!"
http://brewers.mlblogs.com/assets_c/2010/11/morrisfielding-thumb-288x317-2516861.jpg

LHP Dan Merklinger (stats page), who turns 25 in ten days, just makes it easier and easier to like him more and more. It's unlikely he sees Huntsville in 2011 (considering he was held back at Brevard for 25 of his 27 appearances this year -- 19 starts at high-A), so here's to what will hopefully be a successful campaign in Nashville's rotation next summer.

In his start today, three hitless, scoreless innings -- nice job in the 2nd inning after the first two reached...

3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP (no Gameday pitch-by-pitch speed data, not a priority with Merklinger)

Scottsdale Top of the 1st

• Charles Blackmon strikes out on foul tip.
  • Greg Miclat grounds out, second baseman Jose Pirela to first baseman Jerry Sands.
  • Conor Gillaspie grounds out, second baseman Jose Pirela to first baseman Jerry Sands.

Scottsdale Top of the 2nd

• Jordan Pacheco walks.
  • Ryan Adams hit by pitch. Jordan Pacheco to 2nd.
  • Michael Burgess flies out to right fielder Michael Taylor.
  • Ed Easley strikes out swinging.
  • Thomas Field grounds into a force out, shortstop Ryan Curry to second baseman Jose Pirela. Ryan Adams out at 2nd.

Scottsdale Top of the 3rd

• Xavier Avery called out on strikes.
  • Charles Blackmon walks.
  • Greg Miclat pops out to second baseman Jose Pirela.
  • Conor Gillaspie grounds out softly, second baseman Jose Pirela to first baseman Jerry Sands.

RHP Brandon Kintzler (stats page) with another scoreless inning in Surprise's 5-1 win Tuesday (boxscore, no Gameday speeds):

Mesa Bottom of the 6th

• Pitcher Change: Brandon Kintzler replaces Eric Hurley.
  • Kai Gronauer singles on a ground ball to right fielder Joey Butler.
  • Andrew Romine singles on a sharp ground ball to center fielder Derrick Robinson. Kai Gronauer to 2nd.
  • Josh Harrison grounds into double play, shortstop Cale Iorg to second baseman Eric Farris to first baseman Tony Cruz. Kai Gronauer to 3rd. Andrew Romine out at 2nd.
  • Brandon Wood strikes out swinging.

RHP Jeremy Jeffress (stats page) attempted to close things out with a 5-1 lead, but had a less than effective 9th inning appearance, facing four batters, recording no outs, although one play was a fielder's choice --

Mesa Bottom of the 9th

• Pitcher Change: Jeremy Jeffress replaces Brendan Wise.
  • Josh Harrison walks.
  • Brandon Wood walks. Josh Harrison to 2nd.
  • Matt Rizzotti singles on a ground ball to center fielder Derrick Robinson. Josh Harrison scores. Brandon Wood to 3rd.
  • Kirk Nieuwenhuis reaches on a fielder's choice, fielded by third baseman Davis Stoneburner. Brandon Wood scores. Matt Rizzotti to 2nd.
  • Pitcher Change: Fabio Castillo replaces Jeremy Jeffress.

2B Eric Farris singled and walked twice. Caleb Gindl was in LF again (boo to that), he walked in five trips, scored a run, but fanned three times. Suddenly he's at .275, a bit less gaudy than earlier this fall.

As I type, Surprise is trying to hold on after Jeffress' outing. Look for a final score update from myself or anyone else who wishes to chime in later on for our readers unwilling to click http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif .

Yikes, that didn't go well, did it? Jeffress' ERA shoots to 4.82 with the four runs allowed.

Pitcher Change: Fabio Castillo replaces Jeremy Jeffress.

Offensive Substitution: Pinch runner Ryan Flaherty replaces Matt Rizzotti.

Jordy Mercer singles on a bunt ground ball to pitcher Fabio Castillo. Ryan Flaherty to 3rd. Kirk Nieuwenhuis to 2nd.

Andrew Lambo hits a grand slam (4) to right field. Ryan Flaherty scores. Kirk Nieuwenhuis scores. Jordy Mercer scores.

Merklinger's three hitless innings lead Dogs

Brewers left-hander makes second start after switching teams

By Danny Wild / MLB.com

It was only 15 days ago that Dan Merklinger went three innings in his third Arizona Fall League start against Phoenix. On Tuesday, he logged another three frames -- for the Desert Dogs.

The Brewers prospect held Scottsdale hitless in his second outing since swapping uniforms as Phoenix beat the Scottsdale Scorpions, 7-4, on Tuesday.

"I was happy. I was going after guys, attacking with my fastball and working on off-speed pitches," he said. "I felt good out there."

The Seton Hall alum began the fall with Surprise, but got an opportunity to start more consistently with Phoenix. It was an easy decision to switch teams, especially since it wasn't really made by him.

"I was basically told by the Brewers and my coaches, and I said fine, I'll just do whatever they want," he said. "I'll play wherever. Wherever it is, it is."

Merklinger, who appeared at three levels in the Minors in 2010, joined fellow lefty Brewers prospect Lucas Luetge on the Dogs staff.

"The Phoenix team was down on pitching and I've been a starter all year, so it was a good opportunity for me to start in the Fall League," he said. "It's different -- you're always more comfortable with teammates you've been playing the season with, but I don't have a problem getting along with anyone. Everyone's been real nice and warm here."

Merklinger needed 58 pitches to get through three frames Tuesday after grinding through a couple long at-bats.

"A couple batters really put up a good fight," he said. "One was about a 10- or 11-pitch battle, and there was another long at-bat. There are just some good hitters up here. They were fighting off some good pitches."

Merklinger, Milwaukee's sixth-round pick in 2007, said he came to Arizona with the hope of getting his fastball over for strikes consistently. He said that was the key Tuesday.

"I was locating my fastball a lot better than I had been, throwing off-speed pitches for strikes and keeping the hitters off balance," he said. "I definitely wanted to continue attacking with my fastball, throw my breaking ball for strikes and develop my changeup. I think I've done a pretty decent job.

"You're also facing talented hitters and getting that experience is something I was looking forward to," he added.

The lefty walked two and hit a batter after working a 1-2-3 first. By the fourth, Phoenix manager Don Mattingly made the call to the bullpen.

"I always want to stay in," Merklinger said. "You've got to yank me by the collar to get me out of the game."

Dan Merklinger started the year for Surprise, but moved to Phoenix to help the Dogs pitching staff. (Jordan Megenhardt/MLB.com)

http://brewers.mlb.com/images/2010/11/09/UxBnkNqh.jpg

RHP Justin James' (stats) save for Dan Merklinger Tuesday --

Scottsdale Top of the 9th

• Pitcher Change: Justin James replaces Justin Miller.
  • Ed Easley singles on a line drive to center fielder Cory Harrilchak.
  • Thomas Field grounds into double play, shortstop Ryan Curry to second baseman Jose Pirela to first baseman Jerry Sands. Ed Easley out at 2nd.
  • Xavier Avery grounds out, second baseman Jose Pirela to first baseman Jerry Sands.

LHP Lucas Luetge should be part of the mound crew for Phoenix in the night game Wednesday. Surprise plays this afternoon.

Archived