Brewer Fanatic

2010 Arizona Fall League -- Season for Brewers now complete

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm usually alright at guessing. My thoughts for this year:

Taylor Green/Brett Lawrie, Eric Farris, Erik Komatsu/Caleb Gindl, Shawn Zarraga. If that's the case, the latter two will need to be in AA by Aug 1st, although I recall they wanted to change things. Also, there's the secondary AZ League this year, since the Hawaiian League is no more.

For pitchers, Jeffress and Anundsen need to make up time. Maybe Ramlow and Willinsky. Probably 5 pitchers, so maybe Scarpetta or Lamontagne

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I would think the town of Surprise could come up with a much catchier team name than Rafters.

Options:

Surprise Party

Surprise Attack

Surprise Surprise Surprise (for fans of Gomer Pyle)

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

JohnBriggs, as I stated, I agree with you. If there's any team Canada competition, Lawrie may do that. Otherwise, I would expect him to go. The trick will be that he'll only go to the AFL as a priority player. I originally assumed Schafer wouldn't be back in time, so I listed Komatsu/Gindl. Really, the Brewers can't go wrong with any of the three. Farris would also seem a lock as the rosters need utility/fringe-starter types. He could likely be a 6th IF and 5th OF, playing 1-2 times per week, although one year we only had three healthy/available IF's in the AFL. Most teams will have 4 catchers, so I included Zarraga as a DH/1b/C.

The pitchers are hard to project this year. The Brewers used to love throwing relief prospects (Sarfate) and veterans (Wolfe, Bausher). I can't see Rogers going, since the barometer for success for him is making it through the year healthy. With a strong second half, I could see them tapping into Arnett. But most likely look for 1 starter, 1 starter/swingman, and 2 relievers to go. I think my last year working in the league, each team sent 7 guys. And as I mentioned, with the defunct Hawaiian League, I'm curious if the other Arizona League will be sort of a minor leagues for the AFL. Maybe AFL rosters get 6 players from each organization, with AFL2 getting 7 or 8 from each organization.

1e Corbeau, I remember they talked about having big reforms. But I believe they always allowed one player that had yet to play in AA. Others must have been AA, AAA, or MLB on August 1st, I think.

I didn't mention him, but Lamontagne could make sense as a power reliever.

Good call on Gamel - would be a good opportunity to try him out at RF or 1B.

Gamel, Jeffress, Farris, Green, and Schafer and Anundsen if they are healthy are just about locks. 50/50 on Lawrie - I think he could use some rest.

Dark horses - Butler, Kintzler, McClendon, Merklinger, and Periard and Wooten if they are healthy. I'll bet at least one of that group goes.

no, he's not from the US/Canada. Generally, players from Latin America will play in their nation, unless the nation doesn't have a Winter League. Escobar was an exception, since his winter league didn't want him as an A-ball kid at age 18.

Archived