Brewer Fanatic

Sheets, Spurling, Balfour, Parra - Latest: Partial Tear

Mass Haas

I heard Coshun saying that too Peavy. He sure made it sound like

Sheeter was going to be out up to 6 weeks http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif If that's the case, the Crew NEEDS to add an arm somewhere.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The very fact that we seem to have the "Is Sheets injury prone?" debate so often itself suggests that maybe he's not the most durable guy around.

Is he as brittle as Mark Prior? Of course not. Has he irreparably torqued his shoulder? No. Nonetheless, there's no denying that he has run into a succession of debilitating physical problems over the past couple of years.

In the immortal words of Bill Belichick, it is what it is. I don't necessarily blame Ben -- it's not like he wants to keep getting nicked up like this.

Torn tendon..... oh dear

That's what the Brewers were expecting. The key is just how bad the tear is....if its like the one they saw on the MRI today, its the two-three week recovery. If its totally torn under the knuckle, its six weeks or more...supposedly those tests are coming tomorrow.

Just as a word of comfort, every time something is "sprained", something gets torn. Its just a matter of how bad it is.

You were relieved to hear that instead of missing 3-4 starts, he'll likely be missing somewhere between 4-10?

I was guessing 4 starts / 3 weeks to begin with, so it just didn't sound that bad to me. I knew he was having the MRI today, so I was happy to hear that while he may miss 6 weeks at most, he has a good chance of coming back much sooner.

Glass half empty/full thing, I guess. Hopefully my optimism proves warranted.

For some, injury prone just means, "having several injuries in a short time." Others take it to mean, "having a higher probability of injury in the future." Still other think that's one in the same. In the end, it's just a subjective label, like "ace". Probably not worth arguing about.

Link

Here is the WebMD definition of a sprain. Once they announced it was a sprain, they announced it was at least a noticeable stretch or slight tear. The fact that today's MRI showed no further damage means the MRI showed what they thought it would.

If there is a silver lining about this whole thing though, it's gotta be that as least we have depth with our starting pitching for once. In years past, this would surely sink the Brewers. This year we have a couple guys that can step in and get the job done.

hurricane(dietec)-that's me, the one and only

Ugghhh....

Ben's supposed torn tendon (and out for up to 6 weeks), coupled with Yo and Parra rapidly approaching their innings limits, coupled with the Cubs acquiring Jason Kendall, coupled with upcoming doubleheaders...

... time to turn some of these prospects for an arm. Dillard, Moss, Escobar, Irribarren, Nelson, Fermaint, Sarfate, any A/A+ OF not named Gillespie... whatever you can get for them. Go get an arm Dougie. (You picked the wrong week to sell Oxspring to Japan.)

There is a good crowd saying the Sheet is injury prone and a good crowd saying that is ridiculous.

Does anyone outside of Brewer fans not see him as an injury prone guy?

I think that is a pretty good unbias indication.

If anything, the fact that his injuries are unrelated points more to the fact that he is injury prone. If they were all related you could at least point that it might be something that can be resolved in the future.

Boy is he good when he is on. But having your ace miss 5 - 10 starts a year is a really tough task to overcome.

The Cubs' acquisition of Jason Kendall is no reason for DM to panic. Bowen had an OPS around .650, Kendall's is currently .542 and he hasn't been above his career norms in 3 years. We can only hope Kendall gets 2/3 of the starts on the North side.

The very fact that we seem to have the "Is Sheets injury prone?" debate so often itself suggests that maybe he's not the most durable guy around.

Amen.

I think it's a bit weird that people are excited about the call ups considering the reason.

It is tough when on you when your ace misses 5-10 starts a season. I think it is worse when so many starters can't go deep into games. Ben has the responsibility of being the one guy who gets into the 8th.

Quote:
According to ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney, a source close to Sheets said he is expected to be out two weeks and not several months like Detroit Tigers pitcher Joel Zumaya, who has been out since early May with a similar injury.

LINK

I sure hope that's good information.

Look in the early 80s Paul Molitor always seem to be hurt. Fans constantly got upset and bashed him because he could not stay on the diamond and contribute. Now back then it was word of mouth as there was no forums or internet.

I have been impressed with Ben all year long, but his injuries even if unrelated are starting to build up over the last couple of year. Bad luck on his part or what ever it is hurting this team, and this year maybe a shot at the world series. The Brittle Ben comment was made because it is frustrating to watch our ace sit on the bench over the past couple of years when team needs him.

coupled with Yo and Parra rapidly approaching their innings limits
I'd think that between Gallardo, Parra, and Villanueva, there'd be plenty of innings to spread around. They just have to be distributed properly.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

All he did was vent, which is a significant part of what this forum is all about.

"I came to this forum to escape the constant emotional rants of angry fans from all the other Brewer message boards. I'd rather discuss the implications of Sheets' injury, not tell everyone how angry he makes me for letting me down, once again. We all get frustrated at times but If that's what this forum is supposed to be about to any significant degree"

Russ:

I know I can discuss this with you in a straightforward manner, so I suspect you'll take my reply in stride..

But...what do you expect?

It's forum for Brewer fans. Literally thousands of them. You can't expect everyone to share your same measured, unemotional response to this. Some only care to predict/discuss the team's reaction to the injury, some come to vent, others come to vent at the venters. That's cool.

It would be pretty dull here if only a small handful of only the most reserved Brewer cognoscenti visited to discuss the ramifications of Ben's latest injury, without emotion. If someone wants to complain, let them and let it pass.

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

They gave Balfour #62... that's not a good sign.

OTOH, my Minnesota Twin fan roommates were pretty amped that he was returning to the league. They may be more inclined to flip the channel over to the Brewer game now that they might see him.

It's also good to know that the Brewers still have Aquino, Thatcher, Sarfate, Bray and Pettyjohn as decent options in AAA.

Russ if you have an issue with me calling him Brittle Ben so be it.

As long as I have been on this board I pretty much been anti Ben Sheets. That has changed a little this year. But this injuries are frustrating and even more this year with the team in the race.

Impact has yet to be determined with this injury if he is out for a while Brewers are in deep trouble unless they let Yo go over his innings.

Archived