Brewer Fanatic

Sheets, Spurling, Balfour, Parra - Latest: Partial Tear

Mass Haas
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could they just be putting Sheets on the DL to be cautious for 2 or 3 starts and they brought up Para and Balfour to see how good they could be doing in the majors. If they struggle than they go after Otsuka and if they do well they stay up for the rest of the season?

Well, this stretch will be one to watch...if I'm a Cubs fan I see an opportunity here, with Hall and Sheets out and some questions elsewhere.

Balfour and Parra have pitched as well as you can in AAA, but it could well be a rough stretch for the pitchers.

If the rotation can remain solid for the time being, with Capuano and Suppan picking up some of the slack for Sheets and our minor league reinforcements adapting successfully, that gives the team options in a few weeks, whether that be in the trade market or for internal rearrangement.

But we've seen a lot of youngsters falter in this situation before, and I fear a cascade effect if starters leave early and relievers are taxed...fortunately we've had the break so arms should be fairly fresh, but there have already been a lot of bullpen innings this week.

If I'm a Cubs fan I see an opportunity here, with Hall and Sheets out and some questions elsewhere.

Yeah, the ones I know are practically throwing victory parties already.

I don't think this is the disaster they seem to think it is, but I can't really be happy about Parra or Balfour coming up given the circumstances.

Crazy.. beyond ZJ and Inman, who's left in the farm system we are excited for?

To use a game show analogy, it does kind of feel like we're using all of our lifelines, which puts me a bit on edge.

I'm (sort of) staying calm by keeping in mind how well Gallardo has performed so far. If anyone has to sub for Ben, I guess I'd pick him. Also, keep in mind that the Cardinals were without Albert Pujols for a couple of stretches last year, and things turned out for them in the end.

And the Cubs are no more immune than any other team to having something weird and bad happen to them.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

There are plenty in the farm system, guys like Jeffress, Solome, LaPorta, Gamel, etc. None of them are really close to coming up, but that is because we've called up something like 12 guys in the past 3 years.

Brittle Ben shows up again...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"With the chronic complainers and I-told-you-so crowd right behind him."

Sorry, Ry, but you can't blame him for venting a bit.

Again, this may just be 4 starts, and we may be able to sustain that, unlike in other years when Ben would get hurt, and we'd replace him with such luminaries as Gary Glover, Mac Suzuki or Allen Levrault.

But it's 4 starts!

Since the Cubs have forgotten to lose, and we're up only 3 1/2 games, simple math here alerts my central nervous system to soil my Sans-A-Belts.

If it's not an inner-ear imbalance, then it's a bad back, or it's a finger, or a shoulder, or a groin, or a torn muscle. We're still Ben Sheets fans, and personally, I'm proud he represented us in the All-Star Game, and I'm thrilled he chose to re-up with us for his most recent contract.

But disclaimers aside, I smells a pattern here, and being forced to make do without him for chunks of so many seasons is getting old.

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

Quote:
Sorry, Ry, but you can't blame him for venting a bit.

I'll gladly blame him, this is a baseball injury that has absolutely nothing to do with his other injury. This easily could have happened to any player on the team, its not somehow caused by Sheets being injury prone (as if one major injury in 6.5 years is prone in the first place).

Capuano has had more injuries than Sheets over the past 5 years and yet we didnt't have to hear jokes about him when he got hurt. There just is no need for a comment like that.

"...i feel our pitching will be fine even with Ben going to the DL again...other teams are drooling over the players in our call ups. we are deep"

MBB:

OK, I'll spot you Villanueva, no problem. Dominant, polished, nothing left to prove in the minors...fine. YoGa? Yeah, but not as much. I'd rather he were introduced gently into the mix, given his age (in January, he was 20!). Still, that's 2 guys I'll spot you right away.

But now we're getting into the Parra/Balfour part of the cornucopia, and I'm getting less and less confident. Playoff teams can't sustain depending on 4 Plus-Arms-With-High-Ceilings to "catch lightning in a bottle" (sorry) in the same season.

Again, it's entirely possible this will be short-term, so I'm not getting all excited.

Still....these 2 have been down there a bit long, and not for no reason. Parra was at Huntsville for parts of 4 seasons, and migod, Grant's 30 this year!

Doesn't inspire confidence...all I'm sayin'

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

You really can't criticize somebody for expecting a Sheets DL stint. He's left 2 games early this season (groin, blisters), and in 2005 and 2006, he had a few stints on the DL. No one's denying that Ben is talented, but you have to feel frustrated that he went down at a time when the Cubs have forgotten how to lose and Capuano has forgotten how to pitch. Yes, this injury has nothing to do with conditioning and it happens to pitchers, but Sheets has missed his fair share of starts during his career, and I don't think anybody really be surprised by this latest development.

"There just is no need for a comment like that. "

Hey, as Brewer fans, we're all stung by this news.

But in a discussion forum, Hauser expressed his frustrations as a fan, with a relatively well-paid player whom we have to make do without, pretty often. He didn't mount a personal attack on Ben, he didn't question his commitment or conditioning. All he did was vent, which is a significant part of what this forum is all about. Given some of the nasty rhetoric we've experienced around here, "Brittle Ben" is about as tame as we'll see.

I know some folks here get wiggy when anybody mentions the word "luck," but some things just aren't a matter of causal trends or bad character. He hurt his finger, and he had a blister before that. It isn't like his shoulder keeps breaking down, or like he has a crap conditioning routine that's resulting in predictable aches and strains. I'm only slightly less sedentary than Jabba the Hutt, and I hurt my arm typing. Sometimes stuff just happens, and all the lamenting in the world won't turn up a real reason that you can sink your teeth into.

Very cool to see Parra and Balfour. I do fear Sheets' absence (and hope Spurling's family situation isn't dire), but there's at least a decent chance that this could work out well. Come on, depth!

Greg.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

To me, the only injuries that get me all in a huff with a pitcher are those involving the arm or the elbow. Since Sheets has not had either I'll chalk this up to bad luck. I guess he may be brittle but at least he ain't broke.

Given the laundry list of ailments, he's starting to remind me of the hypochondriac kid in junior high that misses 1/4 of the year with some new mystery illness every semester.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It'll be interesting to see what Parra and Balfour can do in Milwaukee. As for my feelings on Ben, refer to the quote in my sig after his first injury scare this year. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Quote:
I think I'd rather have Parra or Villanueva make the next two-three starts for Sheets so they can keep Yo in the pen until August.

I'm in complete agreement with this. Doesn't Parra take awhile to get warmed up though? And wouldn't that make him the more likely candidate to be starting, especially given Villy's success out of the pen and the desire to keep Yo's innings down for when he's needed in the rotation?

Sheets' latest trip to the DL is frustrating, simply because it comes at a really bad time (yes, I know there's no good time for your ace pitcher to get injured). I hope these call ups work nicely and that our current starters continue stepping up and giving quality starts. At the same time, I hope Melvin is working the phones extra hard, and a trade for another proven starter or at least a reliever is maybe in the works to help down the stretch.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

In '05 and '06, Sheets started 22 and 17 games. This year, he'll once again fail to reach 30 starts.

Call it dumb/bad luck, but whether fair or not, "injury prone" is an apt tag for Benny at this point. It doesn't matter if none of the injuries are related, it doesn't. What matters is they keep him from starting games, and it now looks to be a problem for the third season in a row.

Sheets took a huge step towards being a true ace in 2004, and hasn't stayed healthy or lived up to the numbers (or really even come close) that he put up going on 3 1/2 years ago now.

This move wasn't just made on the basis of Ben's injury, but look at the bullpen right now. If another starter has a bad outing and the bullpen is taxed even more, Yo and CV might not be available if Sheeter has to miss his next start. Spurling out was the icing on the cake.

Give Sheets a couple weeks off to make darned sure that finger is healed and use the depth we have.

Quote:
In '05 and '06, Sheets started 22 and 17 games. This year, he'll once again fail to reach 30 starts

This is the real problem. If Sheets had been hurt earlier in 2005 still missed the same number of starts and not missed any of 2006 he wouldn't be injury prone anymore. For some reason the fact the injury bridged the end of one year and the start of another makes a huge difference to some people.

Over 2005/2006 only 46 pitchers averaged 180 IP per year out of those 1 retired and 12 have been on the DL this year. Minor injuries are just a part of pitching so an injury like this is going to happen to a good 25-30% of all pitchers in baseball each year. Sheets has still had one real injury in his career so there is no way I'd call him Injury prone. Injury prone is Burnett, Harden, Prior, Wood and maybe even add Carpenter now.

I mean is Peavy injury prone? He's missed starts due to an injured hand, sinus infection, shoulder, ankle, torn retina, rib, shoulder, hand, finger, sore throat, flu and groin since 2005. He still had 405 IP between 2005/2006 but he's had just about every thing imaginable get hurt somehow and yet doesn't have the label.

Folks, you gotta remember that while its true its not his arm or shoulder, it is his pitching hand...and since Ben's best out pitch is a sharp-breaking, 12-6 curveball, this kind of injury worries me, and it should worry others as well. Without a good curve, Ben's fastball is as hittable as anyone else's. If there is the slightest discomfort there as Ben throws that pitch, then Ben isn't going to be nearly as effective.

Likewise, he might be technically out for 3-4 starts, but how many will he need to shake the rust off? Just look at Capuano...he hasn't been the same since his trip to the DL. I think we all need to prepare ourselves for a six week or more trip.

All Im saying is that while it might be a nice, warm-fuzzy feeling to see Manny Parra and Yo pitch more, its NEVER good when your ace goes down. Never. And not when the playoff push is just starting to begin.

All he did was vent, which is a significant part of what this forum is all about.

I came to this forum to escape the constant emotional rants of angry fans from all the other Brewer message boards. I'd rather discuss the implications of Sheets' injury, not tell everyone how angry he makes me for letting me down, once again. We all get frustrated at times but If that's what this forum is supposed to be about to any significant degree

Tear, of the distal tendon. He'll have an ultrasound tom. If it's just a slight tear, he'll be out about two weeks. If it's more severe, 4 to 6 weeks. No surgery is involved.

Torn tendon..... oh dear.

I had the exact opposite reaction. If Coshun's explanation was sound, it sounded pretty promising. I was afraid we'd hear, "season ending".

Archived