Brewer Fanatic

Sheets, Spurling, Balfour, Parra - Latest: Partial Tear

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Nashville City Paper:

Parra promoted: Sounds starter Manny Parra, who was dominant during his time with Nashville which included a perfect game, will be promoted by Milwaukee today. Parra will replace reliever Chris Spurling, who is tending to a family emergency.

The Tennessean:

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070716/SPORTS0401/707160361/1328/SPORTS

Brewers call up pitcher Parra to fill void

By MAURICE PATTON

Tennessean Staff Writer

Manny Parra, who pitched a perfect game for the Sounds in his second Triple-A start, will join the Milwaukee Brewers today for their three-game series with visiting Arizona.

Parra left the Sounds during Sunday night's 2-1, 10-inning win over Memphis. He will fill the roster spot vacated by Chris Spurling, who has left the Brewers because of a family emergency.

"We're not sure how long he'll be up there, but it's good for him," Sounds Manager Frank Kremblas said.

Parra, who was scheduled to start for the Sounds tonight at New Orleans, is 3-1 with a 1.73 ERA in four starts. In 26 innings with Nashville, he has struck out 25 and walked seven.

"I don't see why not," Kremblas said when asked whether Parra could continue his success at the major league level. "All you're doing is making pitches. If you don't make pitches, they're going to let you know a little more often up there."

R.A. Dickey will move up a day in the rotation and start tonight against the Zephyrs.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Our best to Chris Spurling, for whatever that family situation may be.

MLB has a seven-day list that players can be placed on for this type of situation.

It looks as though, thanks to the Nashville media, Brewerfan has this news prior to the Milwaukee press or the Brewers' own site.

Well it stands to reason that they brought up Manny instead of Balfour because of Sheets uncertainty gives Ned another option to start. I'm a little torn though because going on the bereavement list would have to be about the worst possible way to get Pipped, but I'd love for Parra to come up and make it impossible to be sent down.

Gaah, I really feel for Spurling, whatever the problem is. I was at the KC finale (the 11-inning loss) and got there early enough to see the players and their kids take BP on the field. I remember Chris was out there with his young son I believe. Now I really wish I hadn't seen that...

As for Manny...Welcome to the Show!

I just heard on WSSP 1250 AM from Adam McCalvy that it isn't for sure a done deal yet. Manny boarded a plane for Milwaukee, but the Spurling situation may resolve itself today and thus Chris could return to Milwaukee to "bolster" the bullpen in time for tonight.

They are waiting awhile yet to be sure. Melvin will be on the Sparky show in the next half hour to an hour.

Hopefully if everything is resolving itself, the news can't be all that bad. I wouldn't mind Parra and think he would be a bigger asset than Spurling but I have always been in the minority that Spurling is not a bad guy to have, an innings eater to be used when the game is out of line either way.

Quote:
Sounds to me like they are indeed concerned that Sheets may end up on DL.

That really seems to be the jist of it, doesn't it? I didn't like what I read on brewers.com that Sheets couldn't bend the finger with some pain yet as of yesterday. This doesn't sound good to me.

I hope nothing is seriously bad for spurling and that sheets is fine...

that said...i couldnt be more excited about Manny finally hitting the bigs...he's been around forever and he's still one of the most exciting prospects in the system...

Archived