Brewer Fanatic

Top Pitching propects on the radar gun / Rogers hits 101 in latest start

jjjf44
Rogers is throwing 93-96 this evening according to Montgomery's scoreboard, and has touched 97-98.

That is some serious, serious heat for a starting pitcher.

No kidding. I guess I hadn't realized Rogers was that much of a fire baller at this point.

Would be nice to see him in the spring training mix.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

A Brewerfan reader who was in Montgomery last night wrote us -- he was sitting behind the Huntsville pitchers charting with the gun.

Mark Rogers was consistently between 97 and 99. He was throwing extremely hard, and apparently even the pitchers keeping the gun and pitch count were excited. At one point, Rogers had a string of about five pitches at 99 and then jumped to 101 for three pitches.

That's right, folks -- 101.

Wow, that is impressive. Usually I'm hesitant to trust stadium readings because they are historically inaccurate, but if that comes from the pitchers charting the game, even if they were using a JUGS gun (which are typically 2 mph higher than a Stalker) that's mighty impressive.

Of the other players on the list, we heard Lasker was 88-92 earlier this year. I watched Miller's game from Sunday, and while there were no radar gun readings, nor did the announcers mention one, he was clearly throwing hard. The mitt was popping loudly, and it was obvious compared to the Chukars' starting pitcher (Peacock?) that Miller was throwing a lot harder in comparison. I would guess low-90s easily.

That's right, folks -- 101.

you have to hand it to Rogers. He must have followed his rehab plan to a T. I remember hearing good things about his demeanor/work ethic while he was rehabbing so it makes sense. I'll tell you one thing, after this terricffic season for the system, the people questioning the medical staff have dissappeared.

Well, Mr. Rogers, my excitment for you has jumped two-fold in the last 5 minutes.

ahhhh!! that 101 makes me nervous! the higher the gun readings the more nervous i get for injuries! especially after strasburg highlighted it and that blog article "the pain of ptiching". what do we know of rogers mechanics? didn't they change his mechanics two years ago which led to the slap lesion or whatever shoulder injury? crossing my fingers.

Roger's appears to be back to claiming his pre-injury prospect status.

This is huge news.

Rogers really did not get hit hard most of the year. Only 89 hits in 119 innings. IF he can keep the walks down while throwing that heat, watch out!

Roger's appears to be back to claiming his pre-injury prospect status.

This is huge news.

Rogers really did not get hit hard most of the year. Only 89 hits in 119 innings. IF he can keep the walks down while throwing that heat, watch out!

And he only gave up 3 homers all season. He won't fit in with the Brewers staff.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

And he only gave up 3 homers all season. He won't fit in with the Brewers staff.

He throws above 90 so he wont fit with anyone other than Gallardo. But he does struggle walking people so he will fit in that way.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I believe the Space Coast Radio guy said Merklinger throws high 80's low 90's.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived