Brewer Fanatic

Time for Wolf to step it up

I know most have given up on the season, but I still hold a small glimmer of hope that the team can get back into the race. It has seemed that all year long that whenever the team picks up some momentum, Wolf 'Soups it up', and turns in a stinker start putting them in a hole early. I believe that the Brewers need to sweep the Reds this week to can get back into things- this is their last chance. The Cardinals will be going on the road against a scuffling Mets team, but one of the matchups is Soup vs. Santana. If Wolf can show up and pitch a good game tomorrow night, they have Yo going on Tuesday. Point being, it's time for Wolf to earn his money.

I believe that the Brewers need to sweep the Reds this week to can get back into things- this is their last chance.

Their last chance was several weeks ago even though very few people want to admit it.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

It has seemed that all year long that whenever the team picks up some momentum, Wolf 'Soups it up', and turns in a stinker start putting them in a hole early.

I'm curious if this statement is actually true. Randy Wolf is hardly going to key a push as massive as the one the Brewers would require to get back into the playoff race.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I believe that the Brewers need to sweep the Reds this week to can get back into things- this is their last chance.

Their last chance was several weeks ago even though very few people want to admit it.

Yeah, we've been hearing, "This string of games will make or break the Brewers' season", for like the last month and a half.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

It has seemed that all year long that whenever the team picks up some momentum, Wolf 'Soups it up', and turns in a stinker start putting them in a hole early.

I'm curious if this statement is actually true.

Technically, I guess it's true that it "seems" true to RockCo, but in reality, there is really no evidence of Wolf being a wet towel on any string of success the Brewers have had this year. He was the starter on two occasions when the Brewers ended a winning streak of 2 games or more. Once was a horrible game against the Cubs and once was a moderately bad game against the Mariners (4 ER in 5 IP and we were only down 1 when he exited).

Community Moderator
If they can get to .500 in 2-3 weeks and the Reds/Cards do nothing, they should get their playoff chance up to 5% or so. I'll be happy if they can recover to get a 5th 80-win season in the last 6 years.

Wolf is not going to save this season, nor is Parra, nor Narveson, nor Bush, nor Capuano, nor Davis, nor any other starter the Brewers put on the mound to start a game. Without a quality rotation, any streak the crew ride is most probably a statistical aberration. We don't have the starting pitching to carry us into the playoffs, and hoping that any one pitcher's improvement can lead us there is akin to the mis-guided optimism that will lead Melvin to refuse good trade offers for Hart or Fielder.

End fury against hopeless-optimism.

I'm not basing my future happiness on the 2010 Brewers playing beyond October 3, but I would welcome a return to play that more resembles on-field respectability. In that regard, Randy Wolf can be of some help by stepping up, and I'm glad he had success Monday night.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Wolf is not going to save this season, nor is Parra, nor Narveson, nor Bush, nor Capuano, nor Davis, nor any other starter the Brewers put on the mound to start a game. Without a quality rotation, any streak the crew ride is most probably a statistical aberration. We don't have the starting pitching to carry us into the playoffs, and hoping that any one pitcher's improvement can lead us there is akin to the mis-guided optimism that will lead Melvin to refuse good trade offers for Hart or Fielder.

In Wolf's final 11 starts of 2009, the Dodgers won 9 of them. Anything's possible.

What good offers has Melvin turned down for Fielder and Hart? I haven't heard of any. Don't tell me a couple A ball pitchers are good offers. That's no better than the draft picks both figure to bring if they get to FA.

Granted it's a longshot but not because this Brewer team isn't capable of getting hot for 2 months. If the offense clicks on all cylinders and two of those starters pitch a bit over their heads for 10 starts, the Brewers can close strong. They aren't likely to win the division because the Cardinals throw Wainwright and Carpenter out there twice every 5 games. Now should one of those two go down with an injury, that's a whole nother story.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
viaarete wrote:

Why do you care if people are hopelessly optimistic?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It's one thing to be optimistic; but I agree with the assessments that while Wolf is probably better than what he has shown thus far this season, the rest of the rotation is pretty mediocre (aside from Gallardo). Parra is so up and down that he's hard to count on at this point, Bush is a solid #4/5 type starter but nothing more, and Narveson is too prone to "big innings." I just don't see how they'll be able to sustain a real push towards contention. Maybe they can finish again around 80-82 wins, which isn't really that exciting when we were in the playoffs just two seasons ago.

I think a lot of people are just frustrated that Melvin is probably going to use this latest hot streak as an excuse to not do anything. They team will inevitably fade down the stretch and then he'll be forced to consider trading Fielder and/or Hart this off-season at diminished value. Now, if he isn't currently getting legitimate trade offers, that's one thing...but it seems like other GMs are able to do more with less and get creative to make things happen.

I realize this thread is about Wolf. He had a great outing last night, and I hope he keeps it up. We're going to need him to be solid again next season.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• 1 year later...
How much of his contract did Randy Wolf earn tonight? Seriously...
A huge chunk. Major props to Randy. I had to bump this thread that I started from last year when I was ready to dismiss him as Soup 2 after his brutal start. He was pretty much lights out from that point on. Wanted to bump before the game, but feared the reverse jinx.

I went to a Randy Wolf game in April, he got rocked and I said I never want to attend another game of his again. He went on to have a solid ERA and be a major contributer to this team this year. And TOTALLY earned his contract with that win and just his play this year.

The term "stopper" gets throw around a lot. What does it mean, who really is considered to be a stopper, etc. Well, Randy Wolf just defined the term. Stating the obvious, but if they lose that game we're in a world of hurt. Now it's 2-2, and I suddenly feel much better about winning 5 and 6 and putting this thing to bed.

• 8 months later...
Forgive me for resurrecting this ancient thread again, but seeing that we've seen largely the same phenomenon with Wolf as back when it was written, and more importantly it's worked in the past to get Wolf going, I thought that I'd give it a try again. 2012 has been on somewhat of a 2010 trajectory thus far, so hopefully Wolf can get going again and get the team over the hump.

Archived