Brewer Fanatic

Dan Haren Traded to Angels

crewcrazy

I'm not privy to where exactly Haren could be traded to but given that both him and his wife grew up in California and supposably wanted to return there I'm sure his no trade clause directed the deal. And while I don't have any proof given the economy in Arizona and specifically around Phoenix I'm guessing the payroll needs to be slashed and quickly. If you are the Diamondbacks are you going to tell the fans that you did the deal for economics. Not likely. You are going to try to spin it any way you can to suggest the kids you just got are future all stars.

It also really bugs me when people start ripping on Melvin for not getting in on this when in all likely hood Haren had no interest in coming to Milwaukee and we were on the no trade list. What's Doug supposed to do phone up Arizona and go I need pitching bad and like that Haren fellow. I'll give you 3 top prospects for him. The response would be geez Doug I'd love to take your offer but I can't as Haren won't accept a trade to Milwaukee.

This deal is just another reason why no trade clauses are bad for sports. But stupid owners grant them left right and center.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Regardless of whether Haren would've accepted a trade to Milwaukee, the trade the D-Backs made appears to be a bad one. In my mind, if that was the best offer, then Haren should've stayed put. As was noted, they don't even figure to save that much money. These are the kind of moves the Brewers used to make. It's too bad that Ricky Bones wasn't available, or maybe the Angels could've kept Skaggs too.

I think the deal they made wasn't smart, I think Macha does dumb things like all managers, and add me to the long, long line that recognizes that the JS beat reporters aren't anything to write home

You don't just offer your opinion, you insult the individuals. Most here don't go that far. Why do you?

If you could elaborate on the budgetary constraints of the DBacks, I'd appreciate it.

If you haven't taken the time to consider this, why are you in such a rush to insult the front office and the decisions they have to make? While the stated attendance is down only slightly from last season, there are reports from Dbacks fans at bbtf that many people aren't showing up to the game. If parking and concession is down, the team team needs to adjust their budget. And if people with tickets already paid for aren't being used this year, chances are that those people won't pay for tickets next year, so that budget needs to be adjusted as well. Corporate sponsorships and suite sales could be down because of the hard hit economy in Phoenix.

Keeping Haren until the offseason would have yeilded a better return than this one, and would have been a good investment.

This is stated far too definitively. You have your confidence that Haren will regress to the mean, but this isn't just a recent thing. Per the splits at bref, over the last 50 games, Haren is a 4.61 ERA pitcher. This year, it's a 4.6 ERA in 21 games. At bbtf, it was said that Haren wasn't a good 2nd half pitcher. I looked at bref to see how much was true and how much was opinion, and in his career, his ERA is almost a run higher in the second half. Now, that is far from predictive, but if Haren has a history of being better in the 1st half and fading in the second half, and he's already struggling in the first half this year, the Dbacks may not have wanted to wait on statistical regression to the mean, when they had a trade that they could make now.

The market this offseason would have potentially been huge on Haren, since there are so few top-level arms on the FA market (given that Lee is all but assured to be a Yankee).

This is only true if Haren doesn't limit the teams he would be traded to.

It also really bugs me when people start ripping on Melvin for not getting in on this when in all likely hood Haren had no interest in coming to Milwaukee and we were on the no trade list. What's Doug supposed to do phone up Arizona and go I need pitching bad and like that Haren fellow. I'll give you 3 top prospects for him. The response would be geez Doug I'd love to take your offer but I can't as Haren won't accept a trade to Milwaukee.

This sums it up right here - People are very quick to rip Melvin, but we don't even know if he had a shot at him.

And...Haren just left his first game with the Angels after taking a line drive off his forearm in the 5th.
Wow. I had this almost exact fear when the Brewers signed Sabathia in 2008 - that he'd get drilled in his first start and send our hopes and dreams down the drain. Not that the Angels' hopes and dreams are sunk already.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

And...Haren just left his first game with the Angels after taking a line drive off his forearm in the 5th.
Wow. I had this almost exact fear when the Brewers signed Sabathia in 2008 - that he'd get drilled in his first start and send our hopes and dreams down the drain. Not that the Angels' hopes and dreams are sunk already.

I'll have this fear the rest of the season for Hart and Fielder. If they don't get traded by Saturday, which is looking unlikely, I hope they stay healthy and productive for the rest of the season. Any significant injury to either of them could really hurt their trade value this offseason, and therefore hurt the future of the franchise.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Saunders pitched a complete game 5 hitter (1 R) last night vs. the Nats, and now has gone 16 innings in 2 starts for D-Backs allowing 3 runs. The A ball pitcher they got threw 5 scoreless (2 hits), with 8 K's in hitter friendly California League.

Haren's pitched well for Angels but is 0-2.

Archived