Brewer Fanatic

Dan Haren Traded to Angels

crewcrazy

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
im not sure who they equate to.....but i dont think any of those listed are too stellar. Saunders is mediocre, Rodriguez is a 26 year old reliever in AAA, and Corbin's stats look nice. It's very likely that the PTBNL is a top prospect though.

No reason for the PTBNL to be Trout -- he was drafted over a year ago and can be traded now without having to be a PTBNL. It sounds like the Diamondbacks will be able to choose from a shortlist of players, but that better be one hell of a shortlist for this deal to be worth for them. Rodriguez is a reliever and Corbin was ranked as the 21st best prospect in the Angels' system by John Sickels before the season. Joe Saunders is basically Dave Bush.

Edit: Just for comparison, the Diamondbacks gave up Chris Carter, Brett Anderson, Aaron Cunningham, Dana Eveland, Carlos Gonzalez, and Greg Smith to get Haren from Oakland. They just traded him to the Angels for a mediocre starter, a AAA reliever, and a guy described as a C+ prospect.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I'm sure the player to be named later is probably Mike Trout.

You think it's somebody that good? I know Haren is signed for a couple years still but Trout is arguably the best prospect in baseball.

Saunders' stats are not comparable to Dave Bush. His WHIP is way higher than Bush's, for instance. Saunders is much closer to Manny Parra, I think...So, we could have traded Parra, Josh Butler and a pretty good AA pitcher plus a PTBNL for Haren?

Saunders' stats are not comparable to Dave Bush. His WHIP is way higher than Bush's, for instance. Saunders is much closer to Manny Parra, I think...So, we could have traded Parra, Josh Butler and a pretty good AA pitcher plus a PTBNL for Haren?

can't judge until we know who the PTBNL is. I dont think its Trout, but it could be the best player out of the group.

I'm sure the player to be named later is probably Mike Trout.
It won't be Trout.

well at least he did not go to the yanks.

I thought the Yankees made a bad move by not trading Chamberlain for Haren. Chamberlain is a reliever not a starter so I really can't understand why they didn't trade Chamberlain + for Haren.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/07/angels-trade-joe-saunders.html

The player to be named later is a top prospect, a source tells Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic (via Twitter). They will choose the PTBNL from a short list, tweets Jon Heyman of SI, but it won't include 2009 first-round selection Mike Trout, according to Jeff Passan of Yahoo (via Twitter). A D'Backs official says that the PTBNL is "outstanding", tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports.

Dan Haren's contract

2010: $8.25 mil

2011: $12.75 mil

2012: $12.75 mil

2013: $15.5 mil (club option $3.5 mil buyout)

The DBacks rid themselves of about $30 million over the next 2 1/2 years, but if you are the Angels you have to be pleased to replace Joe Saunders with Dan Haren.

The D-Backs did a terrible job of finding a return for Haren. 'We will only move him for two very good pitching prospects' turned into this deal? I really like the move by the Angels. I don't think it was for this year as much as it was to have Haren beyond '10.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Trade Prince for Trout and a couple of other prospects? The Angels seem to want to be going for it this year, and Morales is out.
I was thinking Trout was pretty much untouchable, and I'm pretty surprised they got this deal done without him. I don't know much about the Angels' system, but from what I've read above, this is pretty brutal for the D-backs. Haren has a substantial amount of excess value over the course of this contract, and I thought he was untouchable for practical purposes.

Sounds like Tyler Skaggs is the PTBNL.

The Diamondbacks acquired veteran left-hander Joe Saunders, who will step into their rotation Thursday in Philadelphia; two minor-league pitchers in right-handed reliever Rafael Rodriguez and left-handed starter Patrick Corbin; and a player to be named, who sources say will be highly regarded prospect Tyler Skaggs, a 19-year-old left-handed
I wouldn't mind having a guy like Skaggs in our system. LHP with an 88-92 MPH fastball. They think he can add a little velocity and sit in the low 90's. Nice K/9 and BB/9 rates.

MLB draft scouting report

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I bet there would be at least ten teams willing to top this offer, including the Brewers.

Agreed. Sometimes you wonder what the heck happened with trades like this. Not knowing much about the players in question, this package seems like one we could have surpassed without hurting our MiLB depth too much. Going off topic, it reminds me a bit of trades like the one that sent Pau Gasol to the Lakers, where as a fan you can't help but wish your team would've had the good fortune to be the one doing the fleecing.

Well, I guess I can stop dreaming about the Brewers somehow adding Haren. Really, if we could've gotten him for a good prospect, a couple of mid-tier prospects and Manny Parra, I'd have jumped all over it. Including his option, Haren is under contract for a relatively cheap price for 3.5 years. Essentially, the money coming off the payroll for Suppan would've covered Haren.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived