Brewer Fanatic

1975 Brewers

jhart05

I am quite involved with the Replay Baseball Game. I play test the computer game and run a full 24-team draft league for the game.

Replay is coming out with the 1975 season, both for the card-and-dice and computer. Part of how they release their card sets is have a 250 word or so write up for each team.

I was only 4 years old in 1975. I will need to do some research of course. I can talk about the young kids, a guy by the name of Yount was in his second year, Gorman and Moore were backups. But I don't know much about a lot of those other players.

So I know we have some older fans here. Any help you guys could give me on what to write, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I was fairly young, but '75 was pretty eventful. Obviously, you had the all-star game and Hank Aaron's return, but I a few other things stand out to me. The Brewers were very similar to some of the teams in the recent past in that they were competitive fairly late into the season, and then completely fell apart. I also remember George Scott putting up an MVP type season (though that may have been the season the fans started to turn on him, not sure), the Johnny Briggs trade, and Crandall getting the axe.

200 words is nothing...

2nd year budding superstar in Yount

Aging superstar back in Milwaukee for the final hoorahs in Aaron...all star in 75

46-42 before the All Star break, but finished 68-94

George Boomer Scott...Led AL in HR's and RBI's, 8th place in MVP voting, gold glove winner, all star

We can't write it for you.

Like it seemed every year under manager Del Crandall, the 75 Brewers were a first half team. In fact as late as July 3rd, the Brewers were in a virtual tie with Boston on top the AL East with a 43-35 record. Unfortunately they went just 25-59 the rest of the way. That cost Crandall his job.

Of course that year will be remembered for the homecoming of Hank Aaron. I also remember it negatively because it was the year they traded two of my all time favorites. At the deadline (which back then was June 15), they traded Johnny Briggs and his .447 OBP at the time for the putrid Bobby Darwin. Earlier they had dealt Bobby Coluccio for the vanilla Bill Sharp. Pitching fell apart that year. The rotation was Slaton, Travers, Pete Broberg, Jim Colborn, and Billy Champion. Nobody had a very good year. Closer Tom Murphy who had been so good the year before, melted down as the season wore on. The late Eddie Rodriguez, another of my favorites, assumed closing duties eventually. Augustine debuted that year.

Darrell Porter and Charlie Moore platooned at catcher. That was a pretty good combo. The infield from 3rd to 1st was Don Money, Yount, Pedro Garcia and George Scott. Garcia showed flashes but never really fufilled his promise. The OF was Briggs/Darwin in LF, Sharp/Thomas in CF and Lezcano in RF. Overall, that was a pretty sorry group except that Lezcano was very, very young and promising. Thomas gave no indication that year of things to come for him. Aaron was the DH.

Archived