Brewer Fanatic

Should the Brewers trade John Axford?

viaarete
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As far as coming off an arm injury, the TJ surgery was at least 5 years ago. Speaking of which, Tommy John pitched 2000 innings after said surgery, the first ever performed. John Smoltz threw 1000 more innings - 3.5 seasons as a very good closer and 3 seasons as a very good starter after a major arm injury at the age of 33.

Point being, the stress on a reliever's arm is not near the stress on a starters, which is why relievers have longer careers on average than starters. Expecting Axford to start declining at the age of 32 may be a bit premature.

No relievers tend to have shorter careers. They come up later and are done sooner. Most are like Turnbow not like Hoffman.

No relievers tend to have shorter careers. They come up later and are done sooner. Most are like Turnbow not like Hoffman.
Which is why I don't understand why the Yankees refuse to trade Chamberlain and a pitching prospect to the Dbacks for Haren. Unless the Yankees are still under the illusion that Chamberlain is anything but a reliever.

Yeah sell off the (kinda) young closer, that we pretty much pay nothing for over the next 2-5 years.... makes sense. Not to mention he has no track record of major league success so to believe some team will give us a trade that would improve our team for the "Axman" after 3 months of good baseball is just crazy. Even with Hoffman's horrible start and Hawkins injury, they both hold higher trade value than Axford. So there is no reason to trade away a young cheap closer when he could get equally or more for trading and older much more expensive reliever.
Wow....a over the top statement to go with an over the top condescending post.

I find it laughable you think Trevor Hoffman and LaTroy Hawkins, both players who have NEGATIVE value right now have more value than Axford.

Second, just a simple glance back at Axford's history has to have people concerned about his control issues coming up again. He seems to be an ideal candidate to be Turnbow 2.0.

If you don't think there's a high likelihood of that, fine, no reason at all to trade him. But I sure wouldn't take him out of consideration. For instance if throwing in John Axford was enough to compel the Giants to trade Bumgarner for Hart(+Axford) I'd consider it.

The Brewers have a lot of power arms who are questionable SP'ing candidates as some lack that 3rd pitch. A guy like Wily Peralta for instance, Jeffress, Rogers aside from the obvious in Braddock.

It's not as crazy as some on here want to make it, and it doesn't mean we're "used to losing".

This is all a pointless discussion right now though. I doubt we would move him right now.....of course that is a guarantee if you truly believe his value is below Hoffman or Hawkins.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Most tend to have shorter careers because they are not good to begin with, not because they break down because of injury.

So, if Axford gets traded......who closes?

wow. gave me a chuckle that we're a decent ways into this thread and i think that's the first time somebody's asked that question.

if Axford leaves, i'd love to give the chance to Braddock. i mean, if he can handle it, it'd sure be awesome to have a young closer who is cheap and under team control for a lot more years:)

if Axford leaves, i'd love to give the chance to Braddock. i mean, if he can handle it, it'd sure be awesome to have a young closer who is cheap and under team control for a lot more years:)

You mean if Axford is traded it would be nice to replace him with someone like Axford... can handle it, is cheap and under control for a lot more years. Right now we have Axford and Braddock (and others), so I'd just as soon keep a young, cheap bullpen and spend money elsewhere. As guys make it through the minors, and we are able to replace an overvalued, more expensive Axford for a younger, cheaper version, then I'd look at trades.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Why in the heck would you want to mess with the effectiveness and cohesiveness we have in Braddock, Loe & Axford. I have no idea what our bullpen stats are since Macha/Petersen found the magic formula, but they have been nothing short of impressive. Also, each has a uniquely different style, which has to be a bear for most hitters.

I think we are pretty fortunate to have had these three youngsters step up so far this season and also pick each other up when the other happens should have a bad night. If you add in Coffey, Cappy, Vill, etc...we have got a damn good young BP with a Hall of Fame Mentor (Hoffman) hanging out with these kids every night.

WE NEED SOME DOMINANT STARTING PITCHING (AND NOT JUST ONE GUY OUT OF 5!!)

I think we are pretty fortunate to have had these three youngsters step up so far this season and also pick each other up when the other happens should have a bad night.
Are you calling Loe a youngster? Because he's going to be 29 before the season is over.

But both of them are going to be under team control for a relatively cheap price for the prime of their careers, which is nice.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Why in the heck would you want to mess with the effectiveness and cohesiveness we have in Braddock, Loe & Axford.
Because that effectiveness and cohesiveness rarely lasts very long. Bullpens in MLB are pretty much all about the hot hand these days. Sure, there are a few established closers and set-up guys who have been effective for years. But for the most part, it's a crap shoot. Turnbow, Kolb, I'm sure you guys can think of other closers who were hot for a year or two then fell off the face of the earth. Same thing for set-up guys.

So while i wouldn't actively try to trade Axford, if a contender wants him bad enough to give up a couple real high celing prospects, it's worth looking at.

If someone offered you a crazy package for Axford, sure. In looking at it though, we have $8,000,000 coming off of the books in Hoffman. It feels pretty good that right now, it looks as if that $8,000,000 wont have to be deposited back into the closer position.

Archived