Brewer Fanatic

Do you fit Casey McGehee into your long-term plans?

I'll start out with the positives: He is under team control for 4 more years (I believe?). He had low projections this year because his numbers surpassed all minor league career highs. He seems to have slightly proved us wrong.

Now I'll get to why I'm asking the question:

1. He is statistically by a wide margin the worst defensive 3B that qualifies in all of baseball this year (UZR).

2. He is really, really slow.

3. He may just be in a slump, but he is now OPSing under that magic number of .800.

Given his minor league credentials and the fact that maybe the book is out on him, is it possible that he has pretty much peaked and is now not going to reach that level again?

The guy plays a corner spot, one where you expect a plus bat or if not, a strong defensive force. Right now he is neither and a strong liability on defense.

I ask this because every time someone slots their 2011 and 2012 projections, McGehee is their 3B guy or at least moved to 1st in a Fielder trade scenario. Granted, his defense would hurt us less at 1st, but I am starting to think he doesn't fit in to our long-term plans.

I'd see if I could trade him for an arm with similar issues and see if we can slot that arm into the 4/5 spot in our rotation for a few years.

Granted, the current alternative of Gamel might be just as scary given that his defense isn't superb either and we haven't been allowed to see what Gamel officially has because of injury problems and Ken's penchant for rotting youth on the bench, but I think we might be finding out that McGehee isn't the solution at 3rd.

Thoughts?

I think the numbers Casey is putting up this year are about where his talent level is. He put up very similar numbers in AAA and AA. I would definitely keep him until he gets too expensive but I would ideally like to see him in a "supersub" role, starting 2 games a week at either 3rd or 2nd and pinch hitting.

Casey McGehee off the bench sounds like a perfect role for him on a contending team. Casey McGehee as the every day starting 3B sounds like a role for him on a team 10 games under .500 . (if that makes sense)

McGehee is not a super sub. He can only reasonably play 1B and 3B. He doesn't have the mobility to play 2B, SS or any outfield position. He isnt the type of guy I would want around as a bench player.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I would explore what he fetches on the trade market, and bring up Gamel if there is good value. Given the mediocre defense Casey isn't that hard to replace value wise. In this world where cost controlled players might be over valued I'd see if there's a team looking for more bat and is attracted by his low cost as well. Green seems to be coming a long a bit, and you might even be able to see if Lawrie could shift over if your not satisfied with Gamel. Basically he's done enough to be a proven hitter, while still having that shiny cheap label. Those two things aren't commonly found on the market.

I think this is a good year to have Casey playing 3B on the Brewers and Gamel playing 3B in AAA. That way, both get everyday PT and we can see how they perform before making any decisions. Let's say Gamel continues to falter. I'd hate to have traded Casey away too soon, as he is definitely a serviceable all-around MLB 3B. Conversely, if Gamel starts to hit like he did before his call-up last season (1.000+ OPS), Casey will be very marketable in the offseason. His current .780 OPS ranks 10th out of 22 "qulaified" MLB 3B (270 PAs), so he would be an offensive upgrade at 3B for 2/3 of the team in the majors. While he has no range, he seems to have a decent glove and accurate arm, so it's not like he's tripping over himself like some make it seem.

In other words, how McGehee fits into my plans for the Brewers' future depends on Gamel and other moves which may be made (i.e. trading for Beckham and extending Weeks). He's not a superstar, but he is inexpensive and has value, so he wouldn't be the piece of the puzzle I'd be going out of my way to replace, but if the pieces fall the right way, and we can get value in trade, then I wouldn't be heartbroken if he was traded.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

His current .780 OPS ranks 10th out of 22 "qulaified" MLB 3B (270 PAs), so he would be an offensive upgrade at 3B for 2/3 of the team in the majors.

Thanks for that, I didn't realize he ranked that high in OPS. Would've thought he ranked much lower

McGehee is definitely not in any long-term projections I have at this time. It's unrealistic for us to assume we will keep most Big Leaguers beyond their peak value; McGehee should be traded when he hits a max-value and a decent trade is offered. That may be next year, it may be the year after. But I don't expect he'll be on the time during his final-contract season. We have too many position players who can possibly equal his value, and need the prospect-haul he could potentially bring in.

Casey is alright. He has the 6th highest VORP overall on the team(which was shocking to me), and will do for now. However, if we can find a better 3B great. i also have no problem trading him now, as what we are seeing from him is probably the best we ever will due to age.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

I'd keep him for now until he gets pricier

This is my stance on McGehee.

Let's say Gamel continues to falter.

Gamel's line adjusted for park and luck, with requisite caveats about the reliability of MiLB batted-ball classification: .321/.403/.455. He's got a 25% line-drive rate. I think he's fine.
Link

That was posted on July 16th. As of today on MinorLeagueSplits, the line adjusted in the same way is .335/.423/.500/.923. Gamel isn't faltering, it just took him a while to get going after the frustrating injury in ST. He's still a very legit bat.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I see comments which state we will keep McGehee until he hits peak value. That is easy to say. It is also the trick of being a GM. His peak value may have passed. He may get traded and become a league MVP. How does one know when he hits his peak value? The reality with a small market teams is that you hang onto players until you can replace them, or until you feel that they achieve a salary beyond what they will produce. I think that McGehee will stick for 2 or 3 more years and then get traded.

I see comments which state we will keep McGehee until he hits peak value. That is easy to say. It is also the trick of being a GM. His peak value may have passed.

I doubt that. He probably had little value after last season since it was so far out of line with anything he had done at any level. He is probably at his peak value now and through next year if he keeps hitting like he has so far. I will believe that he can keep hitting like he has so far when he does it through about 2+ months next year as well.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The Brewers need to do something about their atrocious team defense. Out of their many bad defenders, McGehee is the worst offensive player relative to his position (omitting Escobar, who gets a long leash). His best fit is on a team hurting for offense but good enough defensively to account for his terrible range. Basically, the Brewers' opposite. He should be traded.

While he will never be a star I think regular major league players have more value to the team as a player than they have as a trading chip. Teams don't trade good, young, high upside guys for average players. They trade them for big time difference makers. The upshot is what we could get for him is another version of him. If there is one who fits our needs better and we have a replacement ready then fine. Otherwise he should be in the long term plans. (long term meaning the next couple years).
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I don't see McGehee getting traded anytime soon unless a contender loses it's everyday 3B. That would be the best time to move him and bring up Gamel. Otherwise, he's fine; not every player needs to be a star or even project long term.

I don't see him as the long term 3B. I never did. Gamel has, by far, the most upside of our current system 3B-men. He should be the future, McGehee should be held until Gamel is ready. Then go into either a sub role, or be traded (preferrably traded since he realistically can only play 2 positions... and not very well). Plus, he does have some value, so we might be able to get some kind of return on him.

McGehee isn't a decent DH for any team

Do you not know this isn't true? Or is it that you are incapable of, or unwilling, to write things that aren't so definitive? Casey would have been an upgrade for DH for the Rays this year, a team that is currently in position to make the playoffs.

Archived