Brewer Fanatic

What's your primary web browser?

1992casey

The error list is all css syntax errors, which I'm guessing are mostly normal, browser-specific workarounds.

I've only checked the errors on one style sheet, but this is what I see so far...

There's some vendor-specific code that should be fine and safely ignored by browsers that don't understand it. There's a second tier of errors where properties or values that don't exist are used ("font-color" rather than the "color" and "auto" as a value for line-height). That's sloppy workmanship, but I can't say whether or not those would cause a browser to get upset. Those instances should definitely be corrected, though.

A couple of other errors involve punctuation. As incorrect punctuation can cause big issues, those could be major. There's a period that should be a comma and a semi-colon that shouldn't be there. I'm surprised things aren't worse and that we're not seeing errors in other browsers.

By the way, in the part of the css that we have control over, I did catch a comma that didn't belong. I found and fixed that yeaterday, though (before your post). http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Pages load very quickly if I disable javascript, but unfortunately, that's not much of an option these days.

For the most part, Yuku works without javascript. But the pages look horrible. And in some cases, critical functionality lacks a reasonable "noscript" alternative. If Yuku would change a few lines of CSS, we'd be able to clean up the sloppy look (or better, Yuku staff could do it). Staff would have to deal with the functionality issues, though.

Javascript availability--or lack thereof, isn't something that should be ignored by site designers. Quite a number of handheld users browse without it, either because sites break, bandwidth issues, or not having javascript support in the first place. Also, we've found that in the case of Yuku, some workplace firewalls block static.yuku.com; that's where all of Yuku's javascript is located.

At work we're still on IE6, though upgrading to 8 shortly.

Make sure that you let everyone know that you're upgrading to IE 8 just in time for IE 9. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Changing one's vote would be a nice poll option, but I guess we'll just have to chalk up your change mentally. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I ended up switching from firefox to Chrome when Chrome first came out because FF took forever to load on my oldest computer. It's nice having bookmark sync and now when my wife and I share computers she uses FF while I use Chrome so we never have to log out of anything.

Archived