Brewer Fanatic

Will Weeks set Major League record for RBI's by lead-off hitter?

molitor fan

Lost in the shuffle of Fielders struggles with picking up Rbi's this season is the fact that Weeks is knocking runs in at a record pace. At his current rate Weeks would solidly beat Jimmy Rollins NL record of 94 RBI's set in his 2007 MVP season (I must note that only 83 came as a leadoff hitter, as 11 came while hitting 3rd), and would eke past Nomar Garciaparras record of 98 set in 1997.

Weeks has received some press this morning for setting the Brewers all-time 2nd baseman home run record, but this leadoff record (all his rbi's come from the leadoff spot this year) needs to get some attention.

If the JS writers see this and run with it, please note that it was culled from brewerfan.

Can we assume that 83 is the number that Rickie would have to beat to break the National League record?

By the way, Rickie has already broken Paul Molitor's record for home runs by a

Brewer leadoff hitter.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

What's amazing is he's doing it with a bottom of the order that's gadawful at getting on base. Except for the pitchers, they've generally been pretty good. Rickie must be running a 90% success rate with RISP, since Escobar and Gomez are so infrequently on base.

His value is at its peak, trade him for a high ceiling minor league pitcher.

Well, I don't think the 2B market is that high, but if someone is willing to give up a legit top prospect for him, don't you do the deal?

He may be gone after next season anyway.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"If the JS writers see this and run with it, please note that it was culled from brewerfan. "

Think it was mentioned in the in-game thread on JSOnline yesterday.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

MVP season for Weeks?

Even for Brewer MVP, Hart has the lead at this point...

Not really. Weeks leads in WAR just over Fielder and Gallardo with 3.0 vs 2.8 and 2.9 (so if you add in Gallardo's bat he moves ahead). Hart is at 2.5 due to his lower OBP. Hart really isn't up there. Now Hart has been the biggest (positive) surprise no doubt.

I think that it's time to put nice offers on the table for Weeks and Hart. These two have really silenced their critics this season. Lock these guys up with the dead money that comes off the books (Suppan, Hall, Riske). They are both going to get huge raises in arbitration anyway. Trading Weeks or Hart is asinine in my opinion without serious extension discussions occurring first. I think both would be very ammenable to remaining in Milwaukee, and you could probably get both for what was offered Prince.

I'd like to suggest discussing the contract status of Weeks and Hart outside of this topic. It's likely to overwhelm any discussion of Rickie's chances of setting a record.

Here's an existing topic discussing the merits of a Weeks extension: Should the Brewers extend

Weeks?

There are several Hart topics in the Transactions Forum; I don't know if they'd be fit for discussing an extension or not. Corey Hart Love, here in the Major League forum, might be an appropriate place. If not, maybe a new topic is in order.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I think Alfonso Soriano has the record, not Nomar. In 2002, Soriano had 102 RBIs, with 99 of them coming from the leadoff spot. I seem to remember some talk that year about how unusual that was but I don't remember for sure if people said it was the record or not. It seems likely that if guys who are leadoff hitters get off to great starts in terms of power/RBIs, their teams tend to move them down in the order. It happened to Bobby Bonds in 1971. It still could happen with Weeks too.

The pitchers hitting so well has a lot to do with it, but so does Escobar and Gomez's speed. Few teams have good bats in the 7-9 spots, but not only that, many have slow-footed catchers cluttering up the bases, unable to score from 2B on a single and 1B on a double.

What, you don't want this turning into another "Melvin sucks" thread?
Who cares about that? When is Macha getting fired???

He's having a great season. Nice to see him staying healthy and hitting the ball well. I hope there is possibly mutual interest in an extension.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

MVP season for Weeks?

Even for Brewer MVP, Hart has the lead at this point...

Not really. Weeks leads in WAR just over Fielder and Gallardo with 3.0 vs 2.8 and 2.9 (so if you add in Gallardo's bat he moves ahead). Hart is at 2.5 due to his lower OBP. Hart really isn't up there. Now Hart has been the biggest (positive) surprise no doubt.

If you go by WAR then sure its Weeks.

Yeah, that too. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I was really hoping for a "and that" answer.

Really tho, weeks is having a great year and hopefully will be able to keep it up for the rest of the year. However, i think he'll fall about 5 rbi short.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Archived