Brewer Fanatic

2010 National League Rookie of the Year should be interesting

with heyward, posey and strasburg all excelling and a number of other rookies pulling weight (leake, stanton, etc.), who do you guys see taking the NL ROY?

i have to think that if posey can continue anything similar to the numbers he's been putting up that he would be the favorite, especially since strasburg is going to be on limited innings.

yeah, I think that the crop of rookies is pretty tight and the winner will likely be decided in August-September more so than the first 2/3 of the season.

I like what Heyward has done but he's fallen from Thor-like powers of ungodliness, in my opinion. Same with Strasburg (although he's still pretty darn good). Leake probably won't win due to lack of publicity. Same with Stanton, who is not hitting the ball all that well, anyway. Buster could take it if he keeps hitting like he's been in July.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Jaime Garcia, for sure.Unless he doesn't meet the rookie requirement... Seems he was under 45 days in 2008.

18 starts 8-4 2.27ERA 103IP 84K

I think "doing it all season" should be a major factor in the vote too. I would hold that against Posey and Strasburg. How can Stanton even be in the discussion?

Garcia should be the choice over Strasburg.

It will take a great run for people to notice, but shouldn't Axford's name at least be brought up? It's not often that a rookie is put in the closer's role and he's a big reason Hoffman will likely end the season short of 600.

I added "National League" to the topic title. That'll make it clear that there's room for a separate American League topic should anyone want to start one.

Also, I've added this topic to the Designated Threads List. That way, we can use this thread to follow the race through the time the vote is announced.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I'd definitely favor someone from a contending team, with it this close, and already having had 2 phenom stories into the mix it's going to be someone who is perceived to really help his team get into the playoffs, unless Strasburg goes Cal Eldred on the league down the stretch.

Strasburg's going to get shut down for the year by the time September hits, but I'd still expect him to get a large number of votes. I still think it's Heyward's to lose, but Posey could make a run if the Giants climb back into that NL West race (although that's starting to look unlikely). Guys like Garica and Leake will probably get a few votes, but Heyward's has the season-long hype working in his favor.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I just don't see how Heyward is all that impressive this year. .250 batting average, 11 home runs. OPS of .809. Good, but I don't think that stellar, and makes those comparisons early in the season to Griffey and Mantle seem a little bit more hyperbolic.

My pick at this point would probably be Garcia. Strasburg has certainly been dominant, but Garcia may have longevity in his favor.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Posey's numbers are Braun-like. If he gets to 375 or so PA with similar numbers, he's a main contender along with Strasburg and Mike Leake if Garcia falls off.

Heyward's numbers are no more impressive than Tyler Colvin's or Ike Davis', and those guys are below Posey.

When my brother and I went to the game Friday night in Atlanta, my brother saw Heyward's numbers and said, "Wait...he made the All-Star team, right? Why?"

Then, the rest of the game, he mocked the Atlanta fans (quietly - we weren't about to get our butts kicked) every time Heyward didn't do something great. "Oh, it looks like your Superman couldn't get to that base hit."

Posey's numbers are Braun-like. If he gets to 375 or so PA with similar numbers, he's a main contender along with Strasburg and Mike Leake if Garcia falls off.

Heyward's numbers are no more impressive than Tyler Colvin's or Ike Davis', and those guys are below Posey.

Actually Colvin's got better AVG SLG OPS and HR numbers - Heyward leads only in walks and OBP - Heyward's biggest advantage is that he is playing for a contender and he started the season as "THE contender."

My vote at this point is Jamie Garcia by a long shot. He has the 3rd best ERA in baseball after only Josh Johnson and Wainwright meaning he is quietly outpitching not only all other rookies but also both AS game starters Ubaldo and David Price. Come to think of it, Garcia should've been on the all star team. I was wondering if the Baseball Writers have a history of voting for hype over performance. I can't remember a lot of ROY snubs. My feeling is ROY chatter will pick up at the end of the year and Garcia will get his mention, if he can keep this up.

That said, I can't stand the Cardinals and I hope he gets rocked in his next several starts and the award goes to Strasburg. Strasbug has just 8 starts but a 2.01 ERA and 68 strikeouts in 48 innings. Let's say he doubles that in his next 8 starts before getting shut down. I think that's worth it.

One guy on par with Mike Leake I just want to mention is Jonathan Neise.

It sure was great when Pat Listasch won over Kenny Lofton.

I'm guessing Strasburg won it before the season even began. How can we believe the voters (baseball writers) are going to do something like look at stats to pick a winner.
Well, they did vote in Chris Coghlan, who was basically a nobody at the start of the year.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived