Brewer Fanatic

How long do we hold onto Edmonds?

Too bad for Edmonds. If the Brewers get a trade that makes sense for him, then do it. It's not like Edmonds has a no trade clause. He knew when he came back there was a possibility he could be traded.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't put it past Edmonds to threaten immediate retirement if the Brewers tried to trade him, in all essence negating any attempts to trade him.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

You can't just trade a veteran on his last legs after 15 years of service for an A ball player. They has to be a certain level of professionalism in this game. They can ask if he wants to be traded or what he would like. You cannot just up and trade a player like Edmonds, he has earned some respect throughout the league and deserves a say in how he spends his last 2 months in professional ball.

You can't just trade a veteran on his last legs after 15 years of service for an A ball player. They has to be a certain level of professionalism in this game. They can ask if he wants to be traded or what he would like. You cannot just up and trade a player like Edmonds, he has earned some respect throughout the league and deserves a say in how he spends his last 2 months in professional ball.
Exactly. There is no point to trade Edmonds for a lottery ticket at best, you will most likely reap 'a guy' like the Bill Hall trade last year. In this case Edmonds made some special arrangements to come back and play and he's busted his butt out there. In my opinion, trading him now would be a bush league move. Something that the Pirates or the Selig-Prieb Brewers would do to shave half a million or so off the books.

Huh?

Veterans change teams all the time late in the year. What is any more unprofessional about trading Edmonds than the Reds trading home town Ken Griffey Jr. to the White Sox a couple years ago at the deadline? Or when Toronto traded Canadian Matt Stairs to the Phillies a couple years ago?

I think the main point is that you at least talk to the guy before dealing him, which I assume Melvin would if he was going to deal Edmonds. It would be very bad to be perceived as not taking a veteran's wishes into consideration when making the deal. Maybe it's one of those dumb "baseball traditions", but it's real and exists.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

TH's latest blog post indicates that Melvin and Edmonds have been in touch today due to interest from other teams. Sounds like it could be up to Edmonds at this point if Melvin is at the point of speaking with him. I don't think Melvin would bother if he wasn't hearing about something he liked.

EDIT: I should clarify that Melvin has said he will only deal Edmonds if he agrees with the move out of respect.
Gruber Lawffices

Since the Red Sox have been rumored to be interested in Edmonds and possible Hoffman, I saw the following from Gordon Edes who covers the Red Sox for ESPNBoston.

"major league source

said Red Sox are trying to move Delcarmen, Okajima, Hermida, and Ramirez"

Hermida would continue to fit the motive of an all left handed hitting bench, other than the backup C (when Kottaras is starting).

Maybe this is me being optimistic, but the fact that it is so quiet on the media front (McCalvy, Haudricourt, etc.) makes me think maybe something small might happen. Otherwise you'd think they'd be out there posting "nothing is happening." Time is running short though for a non-waiver deal.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

I would love to get DelCarmen from Boston in some type of a smaller deal with Boston. We have lefties in the 'pen, but they are all starters and all of Davis/Parra/Narveson might be gone next year one way or another. It'd be nice to get DelCarmen and I thought I read he was somewhat available or being dangled.

Jason Stark wrote the following,

"We could have a fun hour coming up. One club says volume of

calls is "insane" right now. I've had 3 "gotta gos" in last 20 minutes"

We'll probably be hearing from Haudricourt soon that things are quiet on the Brewers front. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

With the Sox looking to deal Delcarmen and wanting a reliever in return, what might it take? Could it be a Hoffman/Edmonds deal, or what would be fair value?

Not sure what fair value would be there Bling. Depends how much they are willing to deal Delcarmen. Are they willing to "sell low" or is he simply the chip they are hoping can get the better end of a seller. But he'd be really good in our bullpen for the next couple of seasons. I'd definitely offer your offer though, if Edmonds and Hoffman were ok with playing in Boston.

They could also move Coffey/Edmonds, as Delcarmen would be under team control through 12, while Coffey is a FA after 11. It would kind of be a lateral move, but a way to open up a roster spot for Cain to hopefully play.

Archived