Brewer Fanatic

Minor League Moniker Madness

MAss, what's funny is that I remember hearing Bob Wickman used to run around MLB clubhouses referring to a certain appendage of his as "Bobo".

Is Barzilla in it? I always liked that last name...could be huge in the Japanese leagues

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Stosh Wawrzasek is a # 3 seed, Norris Hopper is a # 6 seed, Maverick Lasker a 7, and Zelous Wheeler a 13. Former Brewer Callix Crabbe is a 4 seed.

Lasker, Wheeler, and Crabbe advance.

Stosh gets upset by a nickname, rendering the entire process useless. Hopper's out, too.

LINK -- you can vote to get Maverick, Zelous, and callixinto the Sweet 16 over the next few days.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Maverick and Callix lose to nicknames, but Zelous Wheeler and his given name move on to face veteran Gookie Dawkins (he's still around)?

Notice that in Zelous' bracket, the sweet 16 seeds are the 13, 14, 15, and 16. You'll never see that in the NCAA's.

So vote Zelous! He's holding the banner of Brewer nation on his own now...

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Zelous falls to Gookie Dawkins in another case of nickname over real name -- the Elite Eight is set.

Despite the uniqueness of his moniker, 23-year-old shortstop Zelous Wheeler of the Huntsville Stars nonchalantly explains that there's no special story behind it whatsoever.

"My mom liked the way Zelous sounded, that's all it is," said Wheeler, who lost in the third round to Gookie Dawkins. "But growing up people just called me 'Dude.' That was my nickname."

Some might be intrigued and a bit confused by such a name as 'Zelous,' but Wheeler's not about to lose any sleep over it.

"A lot of people can't say it, or spell it," he said. "That bothers my mom, but it doesn't bother me. It's just my name. I can deal with it."

Cool, dude...

Archived