Brewer Fanatic

Looking for specific County Stadium photo

Invader3K
In the club level of Miller Park, there is a really cool photo (blown up onto a wall) of the land where County Stadium was built, being cleared. Several men in dress suits and hats are standing the foreground, viewing the progress. Does anyone know what I'm talking about, or if there is anywhere to get a photo of this? Thanks for any help.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I know the photo you're talking about. Sometimes photos like that come from the Wisconsin Historical Society's* Wisconsin Historical Images collection, but that one doesn't appear online (though what's online represents only a fraction of the photo collection).

If you didn't see a photo credit in, say, the corner of that particular mural-sized photograph, I'd frankly contact the Brewers and ask where they got it. I'd be surprised if they weren't willing to tell you the source, though if it's their own records they may not be willing to share a copy.

We have club seats for a game next week, so now that I'm curious too, I'll try to remember to have a peek.

(*Disclosure: WHS is my employer, though I don't work directly with the image collections. But if you are interested in a tease, my current avatar is from the collection linked above. Do a subject search for "braves" and enjoy the results.)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Hawing, if you can look, that would be cool. We typically don't sit in the club level. In fact, the tickets I had were sent from the Brewers, as an enticement to possibly renew my 9-Pack from last season.

Also, thanks for the link. Some neat photos on there.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't forget to check on this on Wednesday! There is no credit on the wall photo (also on none of the others I checked). So emailing the Brewers is what I'd try next.

My first educated guess would be Milwaukee County Historical Society; next after that the team's records (if they happened to inherit photos from the Braves' era because of the common stadium). If it happens to be a WHS image, we may be asking them to post a credit. Some of the details on the enlarged image show me that the original, wherever it is, was not in terrific shape...but I'm just being a historical nerd now.

Finally, here is my photo of the image in question. It's too bad the bubbler (yes, bubbler) is right there to stick out like a sore thumb.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs207.snc4/38693_1525593265491_1404434242_1369852_6179780_n.jpg

Still working on this...a Facebook friend suggested I check Down in the Valley (the County Stadium book) to see if the photo is credited there. The photo is in the book, but individual photos are not credited there either. There are generic credits in the front of the book that include Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Photo Library and Milwaukee Brewers Archives. So my guess is narrowed to those two sources.

I don't have an original copy, but I do have decent version. I can send you a larger version of the photo below if you'd like. Invader, PM your email address.

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/c50155179a165201573f5aa9bf5251fa38aa421.jpg

20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

Finally, here is my photo of the image in question. It's too bad the bubbler (yes, bubbler) is right there to stick out like a sore thumb.

Very cool photo I will have to check that out next time I get lucky enough to sit in Club!!

You know a year or two ago when I came to trade with you at work or when I went to see the Brewers/Braves exhibit at the historical Museum I always got a kick out of the bubbler t-shirts that were for sale!! Never picked one up though sadly!!

This same photo is in the "history of Milwaukee Country Stadium"book which is still available.

This pic contains Mayor Dan Hoan, Fred Miller and Charles Whitnall father of Milwaukee's park system. (which my HS was named)

The land where CS (and subsequently MP) is built was a city dump, when MP was being built, there was a concern about Methane buildup from the buried dump (still) so there are several vent pipes that vent the gas out.

The more you know.

If you look at the picture carefully, in the horizon are one of those old squarish electrical towers, which are still surrounding the ballpark today.

Not to take this too far off-topic, but zachlaka and anyone else interested can still get a bubbler t-shirt, or apparently a mug or magnet even.

Back on topic: I emailed our ticket rep the other day to see if he knows who in the Brewers' organization could identify the source of the photo, but he's out of the office until next week. If I get more information, I'll post an update.

Not to take this too far off-topic, but zachlaka and anyone else interested can still get a bubbler t-shirt, or apparently a mug or magnet even.

Back on topic: I emailed our ticket rep the other day to see if he knows who in the Brewers' organization could identify the source of the photo, but he's out of the office until next week. If I get more information, I'll post an update.

You could email John Gurda, a very well known Milwaukee Historian and author. In fact I think he had a hand in the Making of CS book. He'd know for sure. http://johngurda.com/

• 3 weeks later...

I did finally hear from a Brewers employee about this photo. It comes from the Brewers' archives, though it obviously predates the Brewers as an organization. Anyway, the source is internal.

Incidentally, I also asked about the more recent photos that line the Club concourse (many of which are from the exciting end of the 2008 season). Those are MLB property and even copies are not available to the general public.

Archived