Brewer Fanatic

Use these factors to rank the top 10 Brewers

Based on an article Fangraphs did ranking the Red Sox top 10 players, using salary, service time, expected future performance and potential for compensation draft picks as factors, another baseball forum I visit asked everyone to rate their own teams. Here's the list I made for the Brew Crew.

"1) Braun

2) Gallardo

3) Fielder

4) Escobar

5) Hart

6) Weeks

7) Lawrie

8) Lucroy

9) McGehee

10) Parra

I would include Odorizzi, Braddock, Cain, or Rivas, but none of those guys are really blue chip enough to give strong consideration to for this list. Although one could make a strong case Odorizzi should be ahead of Parra."

I put Prince 3rd, b/c he's not likely to resign and you can't expect any players/picks you receive in return to outperform Braun or Gallardo. I put him ahead of Escobar b/c clearly he's better than Escobar now and you'd hope any players you get in return for Fielder are as valuable or more valuable than Escobar. I put Hart ahead of Weeks, b/c of health and b/c I think Hart is more likely to remain a Brewer long term. If he is traded I think it will happen this year and I'm not as sure about Weeks being traded this year. I think the prospects Hart brings back if traded, should reach the big leagues faster. The number 10 pick is debatable. I just went with whoever had the most upside.

Edit: I should clarify, I mean if you trade Fielder the lead player in the package you receive in return should be as or more valuable than Alcides. Not that every player in that package should be as or more valuable than Alcides

I put Prince 3rd, b/c he's not likely to resign and you can't expect any players/picks you receive in return to outperform Braun or Gallardo.

The idea is that it's supposed to represent the net value of the player:

Value of projected performance - salary + compensation

Fielder has very little net value beyond what his compensation represents. His cheap years are well behind him. He should be much lower on this list, IMO.

sweet a response!

yeah I think you can make that argument. Depending on your feelings of Alcides you could easily put him 3rd and drop Prince lower. I don't see how he goes lower than 4th tho, unless your position is we'll hold onto Hart and Hart will be more valuable than the compensation received for Prince. I just don't see how thats possible. I highly doubt Melvin lets Prince walk after 2011 and takes a compensation pick. It really sounds like they're going to get Major League pitching or Major League ready pitching this offseason. For Prince I'd hope that means a pitcher who's worth more to this club than a great defensive shortstop with a mediocre bat. If you're not arguing Hart, I don't see Weeks and I can't put Lawrie ahead of him.

So I could see him being lower on the list, but much lower I guess I don't see your argument for that.

From the Brewers perspective, this list should be something like... "I wouldn't trade this guy for any single player below him."

Which would make my list more like this:

1) Gallardo

2) Braun

3) Lawrie

4) Escobar

5) Lucroy

6) Fielder

7) Weeks

8) Hart

9) McGehee

10) Braddock

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Above average defense with league average offense for super cheap is very valuable, especially to a team with a limited budget.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I'm going with:

1. Gallardo-It's all about pitching. A bonafide #1.

2. Braun

3. Lawrie

4. Escobar

5. Lucroy-Finally a catcher that can hit AND throw out some baserunners.

6. Fielder

7. Braddock-Future looks bright and again-pitching, pitching, pitching.

8. Hart

9. Axford-Looks like the Brewers may have a lights out closer for at least the next 6 years and at a GREAT price. No more closer auditions every other year.

10. Jeffress-Based on everything I've heard, if he has dealt with his issue, he's another top of the rotation pitcher that will be dominant.

A couple of important things to keep in mind.

* Pitchers break down at a higher rate than hitters

* Prospects like Lawrie are still unproven over proven commodities like Hart/Fielder/Weeks etc

* The evaluation is done based off what you can expect in return for a departing player i.e. Hart/Fielder/Weeks

* Closer is the most up & down position in baseball. Aside from Mariano Rivera there just isn't a guy you can say "lights out for the next 6 years" about (looking back at recent history ofc).

I'm kind of surprised at how high Escobar is actually. He has great upside on defense... but I don't believe projects to be any more than a mediocre slap hitter on offense.

It isn't so much that Escobar has a lot of value, it is the fact that very few Brewer players currently on the roster have much value.

Archived