Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Sat. 7/17

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Helena 2, Orem (Angels) 1

Brewers end skid

By Brett Billings, Helena Brewers

The Helena Brewers took game one of a four game series and ended a six-game losing streak as they defeated the Orem Owlz on Saturday night at Kindrick Field. It wasn't an exciting game if you were looking for a lot of runs, but the Brewers will take it as they continue to battle for first place in the Pioneer League North.

Helena scored a run in the first inning to take an early lead. Franklin Romero Jr. was hit by pitch. He then stole second and advanced to third after a Shea Vucinich groundout. Cody Hawn, who has recently been given the nickname "The Cheetah" for his play at first base, scored Romero Jr. with a ground out to second base.

The Owlz tied the game in the third inning. Ryan Broussard began the inning with a seeing eye single between short and third off Brewer pitcher Tyler Cravy. He advanced to second on a groundout, and scored on a groundball single between second base and first.

Cravy started on the mound for the Brewers looking to put his last performance behind him. He did not disappoint. The 21-year old righty threw six innings, only giving up a run on three hits. He struck out six and walked two.

Helena's other run was a much-appreciated gift. Vucinich reached on a two out throwing error by Orem's shortstop, Ryan Broussard, and advanced to second. Two wild pitches later, Vucinich scored and the Brewers had a 2-1 lead which they would hold for the remainder of the game.

Robert Currie, Tony Butler, and Brian Garman combined to close the game for Helena. Currie and Butler pitched a scoreless seventh and eighth. Garman pitched the ninth to earn the save.

The Brewers face the Owlz again Sunday for game two of the four-game series. RHP Hiram Burgos (2-0, 2.70) is scheduled to take the hill for the Brewers. The Owlz plan to start LHP Carmine Giardina (0-1, 5.17). First pitch is scheduled for 1:05 (2:05 Central).

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

Strong pitching, defense spark Brewers over Orem

By AMBER KUEHN, Helena Independent Record

Helena Brewers manager Joe Ayrault likes to remind his ballclub that pitching and defense win games.

After Saturday night’s 2-1 Pioneer League win over the Orem Owlz, the Brewers are big believers.

Typically a team that prides itself on offense, Helena managed just three hits in the contest at Kindrick Field. But the Brewers were able to take advantage of several mistakes by Orem, and got a couple of key defensive stops to hold off a late Owlz’ rally. The home team’s solid baserunning didn’t hurt either.

“Rovers, everyone who has come in that clubhouse has stressed pitching and defense,” Ayrault said. “To combine it with the smart baserunning we had tonight, we took advantage.”

Neither of Helena’s runs came off of hits. The Brewers got the first in the first inning when Franklin Romero Jr. got on base after being hit by a pitch, stole second, then came home on a Cody Hawn groundout.

The second run scored in the third inning, after Shea Vucinich reached on a two-base throwing error by Orem shortstop Ryan Broussard, then came home on back-to-back wild pitches by Owlz starter Pil Joon Jang.

Helena (13-13) had an opportunity for an insurance run in the seventh. Following Mike Walker’s base hit, Walker made it all the way to third on a passed ball in the dirt by Orem’s Kevin Johnson that went way past Owlz catcher Kevin Arendse, who was making his professional debut. Johnson retired the next three Brewers’ batters to prevent any further damage and strand Walker 90 feet from home.

“If it weren’t for our baserunning tonight we probably would have had no runs on the board,” Ayrault said.

Saturday marked the first time Helena had won in seven games, and just the second time the Brewers had beaten defending Pioneer League champion Orem in 15 tries, dating all the way back to the 2008 campaign when the Owlz owned the 7-0 series edge.

Orem (13-13) had several opportunities to put a win in the books in this one. After Helena reliever Rob Currie walked Michael Sodders and hit Arendse with a pitch, Sodders tried to come home on a hit by Andrew Heid. Romero fielded the hard-hit shot in center field, then threw a bullet to catcher Brent Dean who made the tag at the plate to prevent the tying run.

Orem came knocking again in the final frame, as Wes Hatton and Broussard each singled off closer Brian Garman. But Dean stopped a ball in the dirt and fired a throw to the corner of the second base bag to Carlos George to prevent another runner from getting into scoring position.

“That was just one of those things, our pitching and defense put us in a good situation,” said Dean, who had his eight-game hitting streak snapped. “Baserunning was good tonight, we got real good pitching. I had a lot of adrenaline (on that play), I was pretty excited just to help the team out.”

Helena starter Tyler Cravy, who had struggled with his control in previous appearances, had his best outing of the season. Cravy allowed just three hits and one run in six innings while striking out six for his third win.

“I was more confident with my offspeed pitches, I wasn’t afraid to throw them when my defense was playing good behind me,” the right-hander said. “My curveball worked real good for the first time in awhile, I felt I could throw it in any count.”

Jang, the Korean who signed with the Los Angeles Angels for more than half a million dollars, was tagged with his first loss of the year despite giving up just one hit and one earned run in five innings of work.

Helena Box Score

Tidy in two hours, 18 minutes...

Helena Game Log

A lot of exciting baseball with the usual great reporting along with first hand accounts made today's thread a great read. Thanks Uwisfan and I'd be interested in what the 4 year old says next game when he doesn't get a souvenir baseball.
Formerly AKA Pete

I went to my first Rattler game in 15 years last night. I thought Odorizzi seemed real polished. My concerns with him were that there were not a lot of swings and misses on his fastball. I didn't have the greatest seats to view this, but I don't think he threw a change-up. If he did it was sparatic and ineffective. On the positive side he was able to throw strikes with three different pitches. Also, I was shocked by how much bigger the Great Lakes players were than the Rattlers players. Other than Richardson and Morris it seemed like men against boys. I know that I should be careful here because Sal Bando liked to draft big people and we know how that turned out. One other thing I noticed was that Great Lakes started 4 Dominican and 1 Venezuelan position players, while we started zero (we did start 3 Canadians). People talk about money affecting franchises at the big league level but I think that is an area where $ makes a difference in developing ball players. The Dodgers likely have more money to spend on undrafted free agents than we have.

I also was in attendance for last nights game for the Timber Rattlers. I couldn't figure out the bulb situation on the stadium radar reading so I appreciate the insight on that here. A few notes from my personal observations of the game. Keep in mind I was in the all you can eat section, so I did miss a play here and there while in line adding to my brat count.

It was my first time at the ballpark in Appleton and I was pleasantly suprised. I have attended many a snapper game in my years as a baseball fan and the Appleton is a big step up in the facility aspect, which matched up what I have heard from several other firsthand accounts.

As mentioned earlier by uwisfan, there was a lady struck with a foul ball. I was about 25 feet away, but directly behind her and didn't see where she was hit exactly. It seemed to be above her eye. She was bleeding significantly for at quite a while. Even after play resumed, everyones attention was still focused on the lady as she was being tended to by staff/paramedics for another 15 minutes or so before she was taken off. There were 4 staff members cleaning up the blood for about 45 minutes after she was removed. A few stitches seems to be the best case scenario, but judging by how squarely she was struck, I am guessing she may have suffered a concussion.

Dvontrey impressed tonight, but the fact that he needs to work on cleaning up some bad habits is obvious. His triple was very well hit to right center. While he should have been standing up easily on third with no throw, he slowed himself down by looking to see where the ball was twice, including looking over his shoulder to try to find the ball while already halfway between 2nd and 3rd. He was still in easily at 3rd. He looked every bit the athlete that everyone knows he is. His two walks were nice to see. We all know speed that takes walks is nice asset. The 2nd walk came in the 9th inning with 2 outs. He got down in the count 1-2 and took a couple fairly close pitches out of the zone to earn the walk. Very impressive patience considering he representred the tying run. On the bases, following his triple, he was caught in in no mans land between 3rd and home and eventually tagged out. I will chalk it up to a great play by the pitcher snagging the one hopper that looked like it would get past him. Looked good in CF including making a nice running catch and showing a very good arm making a throw from deep center to the Marseco while holding a runner.

Scooter Gennett also impressed. Both hits were line drives that were hit extremely hard. His 2nd hit was a single in the 9th inning with 2 outs while he represented the winning run to keep hope alive.

Kentrail Davis looked solid. He didnt display the type of speed I expected in being thrown out at home on the hit by Morris. He was also thrown out at 1st for the final out of the game on a grounder to short, even after the SS hesitated, almost throwing to 2nd only to find the 2b not covering the base.

Hunter Morris looks the part at 1b. I was as excited to see him as anybody, probably due to post-draft excitement from June. His 1 hit was the end of the inning as Davis was thrown out at home. The error charged to him was pretty tough as the pickoff throw the runner before Morris had much of a shot at it. He appeared to play a solid 1b in the small amount I was able to see.

I was hoping to see Dykstra defensively at 3b, but the was stuck DHing. His 1 hit was hit hard enough to right field that Blake Smith (who has a cannon by the way. Ask Kentrail Davis) fired it into 1st base, but Cutter beat it by a step and a half running hard the whole way. Also drew a walk.

Chris Dennis homered and hit another ball very hard back to the track but was robbed. I didnt notice him in left field much, besides the drop he did have when the Loons scored there first run. It was marked a hit and easliy could have went either way. He was attempting to slow down before reaching the wall, but the ball got a good piece of his glove before falling to the ground.

I dont specifically remember either of Cameron garfields hits. I will blame that one on the all-you-can-eat. The kid definately moves extremely well behind the plate. I like everything I have seen so far from him and I would bet he will end up as a big leaguer for 5+ years someday.

Marseco hit the ball to the track in both his 2nd and 3rd at bat of the night. I was really pulling for him to put one over the fence. HIn his 4th AB, he led off the 9th with a good at bat about 10-12 pitches long before finally striking out.

Dhanani did have a hit, but appeared to have a little hitch in his swing. He also looked terrible in his final at bat of the game while facing Luis Vazquez, who appeared to have a very nice looking arm.

Outside of the HR's allowed, Odorizzi played to the scouting report I have heard on him so far. The velocity was very easy looking for him. Looks to be an excellent athlete on the mound. The most impressive thing I saw out of him was his demeanor in the innings following the 3 HR's. He was obviously upset, but he never labored on the mound. He was very determined to finish strong. As stated before, he didnt miss too many bats, but he seemed to be facing a pretty solid lineup for the Loons.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Taylor Green is on a nice hot streak. 951 OPS his last 10 games.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Really enjoying going up to Appleton. Saturday was our 3rd game in 2 weeks. my 9 yr old had one of the Loons players toss his batting gloves to him, for a 9 yr old that pretty cool stuff!

Anyway, a lady just down the first base line took a line drive right above the eye, they held the game up for a bit etc. my 7 and 9 yr old boys were very concerned and still asking

about her. Was anyone there on Saturday? Anyone per chance have an update on how she is doing? She never had a chance to react. I'd like to fill my boys in if anyone knows anything. Thanks

I was also at the game and looking for information on the fan who was struck and the best I could find was a comment on the Appleton Post Crescent game story that said she had a concussion and 20 stitches, definitely looked and sounded like it could have been much worse.

Archived