Brewer Fanatic

Sheets: leads A's in innings pitched [Latest: Surgery 8/11/10, included Tommy John surgery]

Crash2303

i anticipated a lot of different outcomes this year so far for Sheetsy. returning to form, breaking down, busting. but one thing i did not see coming at all was that he would be leading his team in IP- interesting. he's had two good starts in a row. i wish him well returning to form.

(edit: more explicative topic title --1992)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Sheets would be better this year. All his stats are poorer than career norms. I figured he would either be lights out great again, or have health problems, but I didn't think he'd be "just a guy".

4.63 ERA, 1.393 WHIP, 6.6 SO/9 ... those don't look like Ben Sheets type numbers

I would rather the Brewers sign Vazquez over Sheets if the Brewers do sign a free agent this upcoming off season. I would really prefer if the Brewers do not sign any free agent starting pitcher though.

Bumping this to note that according to CBS Sports, Sheets has re-injured his elbow. Scott Miller notes in a tweet that "it does not look good" for Sheets.

This is a real shame...it seemed like Benny was starting to get better results after a very rough start to the season, and was close to possibly getting traded to a contender.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Not sure how anyone can really have a beef with Sheets. He pitched exceptionally for some bad Brewers teams. Injuries like these are often what separate guys like Sheets from the best pitchers. Doesn't mean he wasn't great at times, or that he didn't do his best. Was a beast when healthy, and a he was a true joy to watch pitch. Man, do I miss those two hour shutouts! Like many here, I hope this isn't as bad as it seems and that Sheets can be an effective MLB pitcher again.

Not sure how anyone can really have a beef with Sheets. He pitched exceptionally for some bad Brewers teams. Injuries like these are often what separate guys like Sheets from the best pitchers. Doesn't mean he wasn't great at times, or that he didn't do his best. Was a beast when healthy, and a he was a true joy to watch pitch. Man, do I miss those two hour shutouts! Like many here, I hope this isn't as bad as it seems and that Sheets can be an effective MLB pitcher again.
Not sure if that was directed at me. I always enjoyed watching him, too. It's just a shame he could never stay healthy enough to evolve into a truly great pitcher. Early in his career he looked like a possible future HoFer. Now he'll probably be lucky to pitch a few more decent seasons before hanging it up. Just bad luck, bad conditioning, whatever. Much like Geoff Jenkins, he stuck with the Brewers through some pretty awful seasons. It's too bad he couldn't even pitch in his one chance at the playoffs with the Brewers, though.

All that said, I hope he's able to bounce back from this. I am glad the Brewers never did that long term extension many here were clamoring for, though.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

He certainly was in the best of condition which might have helped him stay healthy. Of course not throwing him out there for 237 IP in 2004 when we weren't playing for anything and he was having back issues probably would have been a good idea too.

It's just a shame he could never stay healthy enough to evolve into a truly great pitcher.

I think it's also worth pointing out that (completely in hindsight) the Brewers were fortunate to not try and re-sign Sheets to another big deal after 2008 like some wanted. Signing him to a big contract only to miss 1.5 of the next 2 seasons would have been a complete disaster to a franchise already hurt by bad pitching contracts.

But I'd certainly like to see Ben bounce back from all of this and become effective again, as others mention.

Archived