Brewer Fanatic

Reconsidering: Bill Hall

The Truth

Hall has played 7 different positions (everything but catcher and 1B!) this season and has put up a .778 OPS so far. He has 8 HR's and 25 RBI's in 61 games played.

It seems as though Boston is getting effective use out of him by having him be the super-sub/multiple position guy that many thought/think he is best suited for. He even has a .793 OPS vs right-handed pitching this season.

Granted, 61 games is a small sample. But the question needs to be asked: do you think he's turned the corner? At age 30 has he resurrected his career? This is a guy who put up a .596 OPS in 2009, and a .689 OPS in '08

Aside from finally learning to take walks (his OBP is .089 higher than his Avg.), his numbers have all reverted to his career averages.

Considering half of his starts have come as a corner OF, those numbers aren't that stellar. I'm glad for his sake that he's resurrecting his career, even if it is in the 'super-sub' role that he didn't want here in Milwaukee.

Hall could have been a utility guy here as well, they were paying him. I'd say it's 95% likely he was released for clubhouse/off the field issues. We know he had to be picked up by Yost after an altercation in early '07 or '08, we know he was mentioned in the ESPN mag article as a guy who partied heavily. Braun could probably get away with that, but guys with a 700 OPS can't.

He was replaced by Jason B, right? No offense to JB, who hits better than I do and runs fast, but at best, he's a stopgap. It didn't seem like a baseball decision then, and it still doesn't.

Bill Hall is useful as a sub against LHP and that is about it. That just wasn't a need at all for the Brewers which had an almost completely RH lineup.
Hall would be nice to have on the bench right now though. I would take Hall over Counsell if they were at the same price. Inglett and Hall on the bench would make for a very strong bench for the Brewers right now.

I wasn't suggesting that the Brewers should have kept Hall. I meant "Reconsidering" in the sense that I, for one, thought his career was over. I agree that he'd be a good asset on the Brewers bench right now, but only at "super-sub prices".

Huge mistake by Melvin giving Hall that big contract. (Of course Melvin can be forgiven because of that great contract he signed Braun to...)

Archived