Brewer Fanatic

The Trade Value of Dave Bush

nate,

so you're saying essentially Carlos Gomez?

No Gomez has more potential than a AAAA player but if Melvin could get someone like Gomez for Bush I would be excited and that would be one shrewd move by Melvin.

Bush leaves after this year so anything for Bush would be a plus. If we were competing for the playoffs it would make some sense to hold onto Bush but since we are not, we might as well get something for him.
It seems to be a foregone conclusion in most people's minds that Bush will be gone, but isn't there a chance that the Brewers could sign him? He arguably has been our 2nd best starter this year. He's definitely had a few stinkers, but otherwise he has been relatively consistent (if that makes sense). He does have our only playoff victory in the past 25 years, which allowed me the opportunity to attend a Brewer playoff game, only to be ruined by Suppan. As others have stated, he would be a suitable 4/5. Can't imagine he would cost too much in free agency. I assume we won't offer him arbitration as my understanding is the only real benefit to offering a player beyond our control has ended is to ensure compensation if they happened to be a Type A/B free agent, which appears highly unlikely. But couldn't we offer him a deal in free agency, either a one-year or even a multi-year deal? There undoubtedly will be worse options. Or are most people of the mindset that our rotation is already too full of 4/5 types? I suppose we could always trade him in the next 10 days and then sign him in the offseason if we were so inclined.

Bush might be offered a 1-2 year deal as a FA. Someone will probably offer him a Marquis like deal, 3y/$17M, and he'll be gone. You can possibly get a kid with velocity or a position player with skills for him, but more than likely, a couple guys in A ball that have "potential" comes to mind. That is how the Crew got CV, so they do pan out sometimes. I don't know what the Brewers gave up for Doc Medich years ago, but not a whole lot, I'm sure. The best you could hope for is a 25 y/o who has struggled but has some ceiling.

The real question is why hold back a sneeze? It feels good to sneeze. Let it fly, man.
I've put my kid down to bed and as I was leaving the room, I had to sneeze. That's definitely a time to hold it back.

Bush's quality not equating to trade buzz.

"I get a kick out of teams talking about all of these other pitchers, and [bush] has more quality starts than all of them," general manager Doug Melvin said. "He's pitched as well or better than some of these names I hear on the trade front.

"His name never comes up. That's fine. That's Dave Bush. He always goes under the radar."

Almost sounds like Doug is saying, "Hey, give me a call about this guy and we can talk."

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Bush's quality not equating to trade buzz.

"I get a kick out of teams talking about all of these other pitchers, and [bush] has more quality starts than all of them," general manager Doug Melvin said. "He's pitched as well or better than some of these names I hear on the trade front.

"His name never comes up. That's fine. That's Dave Bush. He always goes under the radar."

Almost sounds like Doug is saying, "Hey, give me a call about this guy and we can talk."

Kind of sounds like a used car salesman to me. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I have not seen this posted or talked about yet....Bush to the phils?

http://sports.yahoo.com/m...cyRc5nYcB?urn=mlb-258412

Mark J. Miller didn't do a thorough job in describing the Phillies' "radar". His quote is: "As for the Phillies, other starting pitchers on the team's radar include the Pittsburgh Pirates' Paul Maholm, Milwaukee Brewers' Dave Bush and Baltimore Orioles' Jeremy Guthrie, according to the Philadelphia Daily News."

The Philly Daily News didn't state that these three pitchers are on the Phillies' radar, what you find in the article Miller links to is the following: "The Phillies could also attempt to trade for one of several middle-of-the-rotation pitchers who could be available, including Pittsburgh's Paul Maholm, Milwaukee's Dave Bush and Baltimore's Jeremy Guthrie." What Miller missed is that David Murphy mentioning those three names was just him speculating, not anything he'd heard from the club.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The Brewers have a fairly large inventory of starting pitchers from low class A up to AA that could be major league ready between 2012 and 2014 (there's 10 such guys in the power 50 top 21). What they really need are major league ready pitchers that could crack the 2011 rotation.

I would offer Bush along with one of the many lower level pitching prospects to a contender needing a veteran starter for a guy who's major league ready now or should be in 2011. Now that type package won't get you a guy that projects any higher than a 4 (unless maybe you include Odorizzi), but having such a guy will save you from spending $4-6 million next winter on another 4-5 veteran.

Hudson was not the centerpiece. Beckham would have had to have been for any Fielder deal (and then he'd have likely been shipped elsewhere for a true 1/2 starter). Hudson was simply one of about four names that we'd need to take (probably two of the four) along with Beckham to make a deal work.

We sure as heck better trade Dave Bush. We have umpteen starters to fill in for the rest of the year, and need to clear a spot on the big league roster anyway. He'll have enough value, maybe not as much as we'd hope, but enough to get something worthwhile (a starter at high A or AA that might project as a three for instance).

We sure as heck better trade Dave Bush. We have umpteen starters to fill in for the rest of the year, and need to clear a spot on the big league roster anyway. He'll have enough value, maybe not as much as we'd hope, but enough to get something worthwhile (a starter at high A or AA that might project as a three for instance).
That would be great if we can get a starter that projects higher than Bush's ceiling ever was or will be.

Anyone see the Lilly for Happ rumor. Love to get Happ for Bush and a minor leaguer.

So would most Brewers' fans, but Lilly is historically much better than Bush and adding a prospect to the deal doesn't add value for the Phillies, as they want to upgrade and win now. They're looking for quality, not quantity, I imagine.

Archived