Brewer Fanatic

is anyone concerned about Gamel?

Where does this come from? Gamel has put in the time. It may just come down to him not sticking at 3B.

Macha made reference to that last year that he didnt look to do any extra work on his fielding, even when asked by Randolph to do it. Money is implying that Gamel isnt as dedicated to his craft as the coaching staff/organization as they think he should be.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had Gamel penciled in at 1B or RF for a year. Ever since Doug said some people in the organization said Mat could be the RF this year especially. With Weeks, everyone knew he had the skills to be a 2B, but needed reps. Almost everyone who has worked with him (Macha, Randolph, Money) hints that he needs to work harder, and I seem to recall Cameron talking to him about his work habits and/or arrival times in '09.

He reminds me of Adam Dunn with athleticism. It says a lot about Gamel that he's succeeded at every level, probably mostly on pure ability. His struggles to put together an entire season makes you wonder what he could be if he put his mind to it.

Which means at this point it could still be rust. He has only been back for about 2 months. The shoulder injury in particular was bad timing since it meant he couldn't work on throws. Throwing seems to be his biggest problem.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I wonder how much time Gamel would need at 1B in AAA before he'd be ready to play 1B in MLB? If the Brewers trade Fielder this week, you can't just expect Gamel to be plugged in there without at least some time of learning the position (Edmonds would be a likely candidate to play 1B this season anyways)

If Gamel is switched to RF, that would likely require at least a little more time for an adjustement to the position

I wonder how much time Gamel would need at 1B in AAA before he'd be ready to play 1B in MLB? If the Brewers trade Fielder this week, you can't just expect Gamel to be plugged in there without at least some time of learning the position (Edmonds would be a likely candidate to play 1B this season anyways)

If Gamel is switched to RF, that would likely require at least a little more time for an adjustement to the position

Whats there to learn at 1B? You can stick just about anyone at 1B and they will be able to play there right away. There is not all that much you need to learn to play 1B and most of it can be learned on the fly. Playing 1B isn't like CF, SS, or C here there really isn't all that much you need to learn to play 1B successfully there is a reason why teams place their worst fielding players at either the corner OF spots or 1B. Gamel has already played a position that is 10 times harder to play than 1B putting him at 1B without ever playing there before is not a problem and he wouldn't need to play any games at AAA first before coming to Milwaukee and playing there.

I could see an argument for RF but not 1B.

nate82 wrote:

Whats there to learn at 1B?

Holding runners on and then adjusting to play defense, digging errant throws out of the dirt, making throws to the pitcher covering, and general footwork involved with playing first. You are right it isn't as tough to play as RF and maybe you are correct that Gamel could just be plugged in at 1B at the MLB level without ever having played there before but I would think he'd need to at least spend a little time learning the position. (even just a week or two)

I've had the talk with the fans around me. We would all take Adam Heether over Mat Gamel.

This is one example of why I'm glad fans aren't allowed to run franchises

EDIT: And thanks, battlekow, for not only giving me info on Money's quotes, but doing so verbatim. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Holding runners on and then adjusting to play defense, digging errant throws out of the dirt, making throws to the pitcher covering, and general footwork involved with playing first. You are right it isn't as tough to play as RF and maybe you are correct that Gamel could just be plugged in at 1B at the MLB level without ever having played there before but I would think he'd need to at least spend a little time learning the position. (even just a week or two)
This is nothing that can't be learned on the fly while playing 1B. Even if Gamel makes a mistake at 1B that mistake really isn't going to hurt the team all that much.

I've had the talk with the fans around me. We would all take Adam Heether over Mat Gamel.

This is one example of why I'm glad fans aren't allowed to run franchises

These comments are coming from people that have watched both players play in almost every game over the last 2-3 years.

These comments are coming from people that have watched both players play in almost every game over the last 2-3 years.

I respect that, but that doesn't mean I agree with the fans' decision. Logan summed up my thoughts neatly. Fans are not professional talent evaluators, and I hope you don't take offense that I'll take the talent evaluators' opinions over yours. I would take a talent evaluator's opinion over mine, fwiw.

Even if Gamel makes a mistake at 1B that mistake really isn't going to hurt the team all that much.

I agree, we see frequent mistakes/miscues/misplays on defense with Fielder.

Gamel hasn't maximised his defensive skill, but he's still a better defensive 3B than McGehee. McGehee isn't maxxing himself out defensively either. If he lost 15 pounds, he might be able to move a little.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

If say I was in charge of developing players and their defense and then proceeded to have the major league club field a horrendous defensive team made up of my graduates I'd blame the players too.
Maybe. Or maybe it reflects the organization's philosophy of taking hitters first and trying to force those players into more premium positions than they are capable of fielding.

Macha made reference to that last year that he didnt look to do any extra work on his fielding, even when asked by Randolph to do it. Money is implying that Gamel isnt as dedicated to his craft as the coaching staff/organization as they think he should be.

I've seen some of the opposite. I think this year stinks because he got hurt. Now that he appears healthy hopefully the defense will come as well. I'd love to see Mat stick at 3rd, but I understand he's going to have to be solid there. Hopefully Mat can get it all figured out the rest of the year. It looked like he was on the right path this ST (working on his craft) before the injury. My guess is he was taking it easy in fear of an injury, but hopefully that is all behind him.

I like Heether too, but these comments certainly didn't come from me. Heether kind of had the same following Chris Barnwell had when he was there. Great guy and you wish him the best, but Gamel's future is a lot different (potentially) than Heether's. Again, I wish Heether the best and really wish he would've been called up a few times when he was in the organization.

Here in Wausau, Ned Yost IV was easily the best player I've seen...he was a man among boys, big, muscular, every throw to 2B between innings was perfect. However, the fans here always have a favorite, and he's usually some 5-7, 150 pound 2B. He's in no way a prospect, but he's spunky.

It also goes to the difference between the big leagues and such. I thought Yost would easily hit AA or AAA, and he stalled out in the low minors. The major leaguers, even the worst ones, are very good at every phase of the game. Weeks was a poor defender when he made the majors, but his range and arm alone would make him the best in lower levels.

Another example, Lucroy is still learning how to block balls in the dirt. However, put Lucroy at lower levels, he might be the best at blocking balls in the dirt. He stands out because he's not yet at major league level...but he's being compared to Jason Kendall and Henry Blanco now.

Looks like they are at least preparing for the future this time. The plan is for Gamel to play RF and 1B the res of this year.

New plan for Gamel

By Tom Haudricourt of the Journal Sentinel

Aug. 1, 2010 11:56 a.m. |(15) Comments

Houston - In a move you figured had

to be coming at some point, the Brewers have decided to play third base

prospect Mat Gamel in right field and first base throughout the

remainder of the season at Class AAA Nashville.

Gamel played his first game in right field Saturday night for the

Sounds. Assistant general manager Gord Ash said Gamel would still play

games at first base but would work more at first base and in right

field.

"We're expanding his horizons," said Ash.

The intent is obvious. The Brewers are planning for the possible and

probable departures of first baseman Prince Fielder and rightfielder

Corey Hart, who are free agents after the 2011 season. Neither was

traded before the July 31 deadline but one or the other, or both, could

be dealt during the off-season.

"I talked with Mat and he said, 'In a perfect world, I would like to

play third base,'" said Ash. "I added it's not a perfect world. So, he's

been workign in practice in right field and first base.

"We're trying to plan. As (GM) Doug (Melvin) has said, you can't switch (positions) once you get up here."

Most scouts have indicated Gamel is strong enough defensively to play

third base in the majors in any event. He made 53 errors in 2007 at

Class A Brevard County and 30 the next yeat at Class AA Huntsville. Last

year, he mace 25 errors combined with Nashville and the Brewers. In 52

games at third base with Nashville this season, he has committed 13

errors.

Asked if the decision also was an endorsement of Casey McGehee at

third base in the majors, Ash said, "I wouldn't read it that way. You

just don't want to limit your options."

The good news is that Gamel has been on an offensive tear of late,

boosting his average to .293 with eight homers and 44 RBI in 55 games.

Ash said Gamel has been playing with an injury to his left big toe that

will have to be addressed after the season.

Ash also said at some point the Brewers might do the same thing with

prospect Brett Lawrie, who is playing second base at Class

AA Huntsville.

"I've talked with Brett," said Ash. "We'll do some experimenting in

the off-season and spring training. During practice sessions, he's been

taking ground balls at third base and the outfield. He's very athletic,

so it should be no problem (switching positions)."

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I like that they are trying Gamel at 1B and RF and Lawrie at outfield and 3B.

2011 & 2012

C Lucroy

1B Gamel (L)

2B Weeks orFarris (L)

3B McGehee or Lawrie

SS Escobar

RF Lawrie

CF Cain

LF Braun

weeks/ Farris

Escobar or Cain

Gamel

Braun

Lawrie

McGehee

Lucroy

Cain or Escy

P

Bench: Gindl (L), gomez?, Inglett (L), Farris is Weeks is extended, Kottaras

Gamel's park- and luck-adjusted line as of today, per minorleaguesplits:

.355/.429/.545/.974 (non-adjusted line is .300/.382/.480/.862)

I'd say I'm looking forward to seeing him called up come September, but Macha probably won't play him anyway.

Archived