Brewer Fanatic

Gamel

Here's a different topic for discussion.

Aren't the Brewers best served by trading Gamel? I don't think he has the kind of bat you want in a lst baseman. He has never played the outfield and and best it would take some time for him to learn the position. Maybe he could be part of a package with the 3 players we have been discussing. Or maybe he could be used to get a replacement for one of the players traded. For example if Hart gets traded Gamel could go to a team that could give up a decent right fielder, someone who plays good D and has a decent bat.

What do you think?

I would have traded Gamel for Josh Johnson this off season if I was the GM. Though I believe the Brewers would have had to of added another piece to that deal though. Right now the best option is to keep Gamel.

When exactly would this trade have been made? Right before or right after the Marlins extended him for 4 years?

Johnson wasn't going anywhere this past offseason.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

When exactly would this trade have been made? Right before or right after the Marlins extended him for 4 years?

Johnson wasn't going anywhere this past offseason.

The Marlins were rumored to be shopping Johnson around this off season before they extended him for 4 years.

Yep it was rumored because it was said they couldn't "afford" him. That turned out to be completely wrong so it was most likely all part of the Marlins negotiating strategy and Johnson wasn't ever really out there.

Yep it was rumored because it was said they couldn't "afford" him. That turned out to be completely wrong so it was most likely all part of the Marlins negotiating strategy and Johnson wasn't ever really out there.
Thats because the MLB forced them to use the money they get from profit sharing on their player.

Gamel is fast approaching the tipping point where he will go from prospect to suspect. He's a soon to be 25 year old who's AAA numbers (.273/.360/.441, 134 K's, 15 HR) in 433 AB's and questionable defense don't scream major league talent. He might get a little leeway into 2011, but he needs to close out this year strong and start next year like the guy who started 2009. If he doesn't I could see the Brewers taking him off the roster at some point like they did waiting for Brad Nelson.

His trade value isn't quite nil yet, but it's certainly not where it was 2 years ago. Instead of a key piece, he's dropped into a deal sweetener type.

Who going to play first when Prince leaves?

Finally, someone has raised a very relevant question! Hooray! How about another relevant question like: Who is going to play RF when Hart leaves?

This is why it's almost a given that if Fielder's traded it will be in the offseason, and that it's not a given that the return for him will be pitching. One of the reasons for keeping Fielder would be to gain time while your prospects develop. That would be great except the Brewers are almost forced to replace Fielder's presence with a lefthanded bat because there are non others in the lineup, and nobody ready in the minors if you discount Gamel.

My guess is if Fielder is traded for a pitcher in the offseason, Melvin will look to the FA market for a 1B.

Take your pick: Huff, Hinske, Overbay, LaRoche (though he has a team option). Maybe even Edmonds if Melvin convinces him to play another year though that's more of a long shot. My guess is that one of those guys will be the Brewer 1B next year if Fielder is dealt. Now Dunn might be out there as well, but he'll command a big deal and he's talking like he wants to stay in Washington.

My guess is if Fielder is traded for a pitcher in the offseason, Melvin will look to the FA market for a 1B.

Take your pick: Huff, Hinske, Overbay, LaRoche (though he has a team option). Maybe even Edmonds if Melvin convinces him to play another year though that's more of a long shot. My guess is that one of those guys will be the Brewer 1B next year if Fielder is dealt. Now Dunn might be out there as well, but he'll command a big deal and he's talking like he wants to stay in Washington.

Those guys are mostly brutal. I say Hart to first. Outfielders are easier to find.

Those guys are mostly brutal. I say Hart to first.

That depends on if you think Hart will continue on the pace he has been on this season (I don't). Right now his bat could play at first, but if he puts up the numbers he did the last two years he would be the worst starting offensive 1B in baseball. I can't imagine his defense would make up for it having not played there for something like 5 years now.

Those guys are mostly brutal. I say Hart to first. Outfielders are easier to find.

I'll say Braun to 1st.

In the offseason, the Brewers will have more money than they can spend. I'm not sure if either will be a great investment, but the team could easily afford Jason Werth or Carl Crawford.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Actually, if you find a platoon-mate for Overbay (Katin?), he would make an excellent stop-gap. His splits against RHP have been very solid (.806, .905, .865 last 3 years). But I wouldn't mind Hart to first either, depending on who is manning RF next season.

I'll say Braun to 1st.

In the offseason, the Brewers will have more money than they can spend. I'm not sure if either will be a great investment, but the team could easily afford Jason Werth or Carl Crawford.

I hadn't thought about moving Braun to 1st if Prince was traded, but it is an intriguing idea. His bat carries to first and if he could play the position decently, it removes one of the multiple bad defenders on the team. At some point Melvin has to address upgrading the Brewers defense if he wants to see the team get to the postseason again before he ends up getting canned.

Part of the reason I like Hart to first is that he used to atleast have the tools to be an above average defender at 1st. Braun has tools, but they never seem to help him on the diamond, so I don't know if moving him laterally does anything other than move his supbar defense from one spot to another. In principle we could at least upgrade the LF defense, but why settle only for improving at 1 position?

Braun has tools, but they never seem to help him on the diamond, so I don't know if moving him laterally does anything other than move his supbar defense from one spot to another. In principle we could at least upgrade the LF defense, but why settle only for improving at 1 position?

My hope is Braun's infield experience helps him at 1B. Many players who couldn't cut it at 3B become good defensive 1Bs. Braun was a HS and college SS, and a minor league 3B. He's an infielder. Moving him to 1B, Hart to LF, and getting a good defensive RF improved 2, possibly 3 positions. Moving Braun to 1B and replacing him with Crawford in LF dramtically improves the LF defense, by about 20 runs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I still think Braun can develop into a decent defensive outfielder. I just think he has too much athleticism that would be rather wasted at first. I know many here are down on his defense, but I really don't think he's as bad as some make him out to be.

If someone is going to move to first, I'd rather it be McGehee, or Hart if he's still around. Possibly Gamel if he doesn't pan out at third (though I get the sense he could work out there yet).

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I still think Braun can develop into a decent defensive outfielder.

He hasn't shown any improvement, in fact, he's actually regressed this year. I don't think he's as fast as he was a few years ago. He'll likely only get worse defensively.

If someone is going to move to first, I'd rather it be McGehee

McGehee would be an awful hitting 1B. His OPS is about 60 points below league average at 1B. McGehee would fit best playing 2B on a different team.

Braun has no fielding instincts. At least in the outfield his athleticism can make up for some of that.

I don't care if McGehee would hit enough for a 1B. If he is playing for us we need to move guys around so our defense is the best it can be and not worry about if they can hit enough to play a position. Moving a guy to play 1B just because he can hit enough for a certain position but making our defense worse makes no sense.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived