Brewer Fanatic

Gallardo would boycott 2011 ASG if elected to team

If athletes should be asked to "sacrifice,"

First, you don't ask someone to sacrifice, it is done voluntarily. Secondly, putting it in scare quotes is belittling and unneeded.

So, should non-Latino players refuse to play in Arizona unless the law is upheld, as the Tucson/Phoenix areas have become 2nd in the world (behind Boguta, Columbia) in kidnapping?

This is the kind of questionable political agenda that doesn't belong in a sports forum.

Athletes and athletics should not be used as a political platform

Yo Gallardo and others are and will be Latino primary to their athletic professions.

It should be our refuge from all the politics affecting every other aspect of our lives.

To a lot of people this is more that a political issue.

We all like our athletes to be political forces after they're dead or way past their prime (Ali) when we can all remember when. When its actually happening, not so much.
Pretty much the same with movie stars. From my perspective it seems we want our entertainers and athletes to shut up and perform when we don't agree with them, and support their right to speak up when we do agree.

We all like our athletes to be political forces after they're dead or way past their prime (Ali) when we can all remember when. When its actually happening, not so much.
Pretty much the same with movie stars. From my perspective it seems we want our entertainers and athletes to shut up and perform when we don't agree with them, and support their right to speak up when we do agree.
I want them to shut up either way. I don't care if I agree with them or not.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

If athletes should be asked to "sacrifice,"

First, you don't ask someone to sacrifice, it is done voluntarily. Secondly, putting it in scare quotes is belittling and unneeded.

So, should non-Latino players refuse to play in Arizona unless the law is upheld, as the Tucson/Phoenix areas have become 2nd in the world (behind Boguta, Columbia) in kidnapping?

This is the kind of questionable political agenda that doesn't belong in a sports forum.

I didn't use "Scare quotes," I simply use quotes when I am quoting something someone else said. Someone used the word "sacrifice," so I used the quotes. Not belittling anyone. However, people are asked to sacrifice all the time, in all aspects of life. To stay non-political, I'll use an easy one... if your boss asks you to work the weekend, you are being asked to sacrifice. You may agree willingly to do it, but you are being asked to sacrifice your time for something which may or may not benefit you directly.

The second part isn't a "questionable political agenda," it is a fact and is the reason the law in question was enacted. Gangs in Arizona (predominantly, but not uniquely composed of illegal immigrants) are kidnapping, raping and murdering Arizona citizens of all races, creeds and colors. I don't know if this law is Constitutional or will do anything to fix the problem, but a fact is a fact, and this particular fact is the reason the law was enacted.

My point was, why can (or should) one side take action against (or for) something, while the other side would be crucified for acting for their belief? Would those that cheer (or jeer) an athlete for taking a stand cheer (or jeer) someone that chose to take the other side? Forget for a second this particular case, and imagine if an athlete you respected voiced an opinion to which you were strongly opposed... how would you react?

Also, it could get really ugly really quickly if baseball players who support the law decide to speak up. One reason I don't like Yo publicly making this statement is the effect it could have on the clubhouse. What if some members of the team stand on the other side of the issue? Will this cause strife? I doubt Yo is going to cause trouble, but why even bring it up?

Another reason I don't like it is that many fans (rightly or wrongly) support the law. This could have a negative impact on their perception of Yo and the Brewers. Why do something that will upset the fan base?

I'm not trying to take a stand in support or opposition to Arizona's law. I'm just saying there could be some major ramifications to this.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Did it say whether or not Yo has read the law or was he just making a stand? I can see why he has concerns with his Mexican heritage and if he wants to use the ASG to make his point, it is his right as an American.

American citizens have nothing to worry about other than having to show their ID if asked. People have to do it all the time to drink and buy cigarettes even if it is clear that they are of age. It can be an inconvenience, but that is about all. Sometimes I think we get offended too easily. I always say that if you are doing nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about. Now if the law is passed and it is demonstrated that people are being harassed by law enforcement just because of their race, that is a different issue, but nowhere in the law does it say that a police officer has the right to randomly check an ID if the person is doing nothing wrong.

I think Cano said it best

"That's a political thing," New York Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano said. "I don't have anything to say about it. They already made a decision. If I say anything it's not going to make any difference."

Let the state and the feds battle it out and keep sports figures out of it.

(Hopefully not too political of a response http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif )

I think Cano said it best

"That's a political thing," New York Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano said. "I don't have anything to say about it. They already made a decision. If I say anything it's not going to make any difference."

I disagree completely with Cano, and I think he has a crappy attitude about it. In this country, everyone's opinion matters, and it will make a difference.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Also, it could get really ugly really quickly if baseball players who support the law decide to speak up. One reason I don't like Yo publicly making this statement is the effect it could have on the clubhouse. What if some members of the team stand on the other side of the issue? Will this cause strife? I doubt Yo is going to cause trouble, but why even bring it up?

I want them to shut up either way. I don't care if I agree with them or not.

1) As an American, they are entitled to free speech. Its not like he is announcing it before each pitch or anything like that. He was asked by a reporter and he answered.

2) I think this shows how important this is to Yo, to make a statement about boycott. It makes news and it draws attention to something that is important to him.

3) Doesn't matter if its this issue or not, there are plenty of items political, racial, religious, etc... that can cause problems in the clubhouse. This is probably a minor one.

You have to tip your hat to a guy that is willing to take a stand for something, whether you agree with the cause or not. Better than people following the masses.

if your boss asks you to work the weekend, you are being asked to sacrifice. You may agree willingly to do it, but you are being asked to sacrifice your time for something which may or may not benefit you directly.

Not a good example. The employee is fulfilling their terms of employment.

The second part isn't a "questionable political agenda," it is a fact and is the reason the law in question was enacted.

If it's a fact, it should be easily cited. Secondly, if it's true, passing a law is a bad way to combat. Kidnappings fall in the jurisdiction of the FBI, which would be heavily involved. It's not a significant story on the FBI's home page.

The law in Arizona was enacted by the elected state legislature and signed by the elected governor of that state. That's our system of government. If the people of the state of Arizona decide they don't like it, they can elect different people to represent them. Residents of other states don't have nor should they have a say in that state's business. People in Wisconsin aren't subject to the same problems being faced in Arizona.

When a group of athletes or whatever group, decides they are going to boycott a public event because of a law enacted in a particular state to "punish" that state, that is political blackmail. It's totally legal for them to do that and even understanding given the level of rhetoric from some on this issue, but it's also totally appropriate for them to be criticized for doing it.

While some may think taking such a stand is admirable, others will disagree. Nobody really wins.

The law in Arizona was enacted by the elected state legislature and signed by the elected governor of that state. That's our system of government. If the people of the state of Arizona decide they don't like it, they can elect different people to represent them. Residents of other states don't have nor should they have a say in that state's business. People in Wisconsin aren't subject to the same problems being faced in Arizona.

When a group of athletes or whatever group, decides they are going to boycott a public event because of a law enacted in a particular state to "punish" that state, that is political blackmail. It's totally legal for them to do that and even understanding given the level of rhetoric from some on this issue, but it's also totally appropriate for them to be criticized for doing it.

While some may think taking such a stand is admirable, others will disagree. Nobody really wins.

I'll jump in before the lock... so you agree that the US should pull out of Iraq, Afghanistan, and everywhere else we occupy? I mean, we aren't a part of those governments, we don't have a right to influence their affairs.

I think this topic has run its course, as far as discussing Yovani's comments and baseball are concerned. As mentioned very early on in this topic, everything else is better suited for the Political Scene.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Archived