Brewer Fanatic

Gallardo would boycott 2011 ASG if elected to team

I dont see why this would need to be in the political forum, where no one will read it. No one has discussed why he would even skip it. WOW.

Thanks for posting this PEM. I would not have known otherwise.

Without getting too political, I would just add that it really seems a bit shortsighted on Yo's part. MLB had presumably scheduled the '11 All Star game for Phoenix long before this law was enacted. With MLB typically awarding the AS Game to a franchise who has either built a new stadium or renovated an older one (Kansas City) it would seem to make a lot of sense to keep the game in Phoenix for the sake of the Dbacks who haven't been able to host one in their first twelve years of existence. It's not as though MLB is making any sort of statement for or against the law by playing a previously scheduled (and marketed) game in AZ. I would assume that if Yo and the others really wanted to help out the Hispanic community in AZ the best thing that they could do would be to boost their local economy.

I think it's great he took a stand on a postion he believes in. I don't think it matters how you feel about the law in question but it is nice to see a young man stand up for what he believes. The common way to market one's self is usually not to take positions that may offend someone. Think Michael Jordan. When he was asked why he did not publicly support a democratic candidate, MJ replied "Republican's buy shoes too". The principle of not offending a potential buyer is sacrosant.

I personally believe we are at the beginning of a big news story regarding the state of Arizona and the MLB all star game. The biggest reason is historical. In the late 80' early 90's (I forget exactly which years) Arizona ended it's Dr Martin Luther King holiday. The NFL pulled a SuperBowl that was scheduled there. Public Enemy had a controversial rap song and video called "By the Time I get Arizona". It was like Ron Burgandy, kind of a big deal. I throw this out there to explain why I think this is a big deal and there is a little history for our younger board members.

The politics are the politics, I'm sure that people have strong opinions on both sides. I think it's cool he is willing to stand up for what he feels.

J Brew

I guess I really don't understand how the all-star game has relevance to the issue. If he's truly boycotting the state, why isn't he refusing to play all games in Arizona? And, it's not like the Diamondbacks or Major League Baseball really have anything to do with this issue...

Yeah, I agree with DougJones. I don't like the All-Star Game being turned into some kind of political issue. MLB had the game scheduled before the law was passed (which basically just duplicates the federal law anyway...). Boycotting the game just punishes local fans and the local economy.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I would guess that by next season, the AZ boycott probably won't be the centerpoint of the issue. There's a federal lawsuit against the AZ law. If the federal govt wins, the law will be struck down. If AZ wins, there are over 30 other states who are set to enact similar laws. I'd guess if it goes to the Supreme Court, they'd hear it pretty quickly, as it is such a hot issue and really would set a lot of precedance on state vs federal rights.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

How can I say this tactfully? It's quite understandable that Gallardo would have sensitivity based on how this law and its effects has been characterized by many. After all he was born in Mexico and raised in Texas. If that never made you think twice, you aren't being honest.

That being said, by next summer, assuming the courts don't stop the law from going into effect, it's true effect (instead of what alarmists with dubious motives have said about it) will be known and it will likely pass as an issue.

That being said, I do have a problem with athletes being used for political purposes on either side of an issue and ASG boycott smacks of someone trying to use him. If the law itself was a threat to him personally, what about the 6 weeks he's in Arizona for spring training and the times the Brewers are there to face the D-Backs.

I don't have a problem with Yo expressing his opinion -- he was asked a question by a reporter, so it's not like he walked into Anaheim with a giant "BOYCOTT AZ" sign. I agree with JB12 that as a Mexican-American, Yo absolutely has the right to at the very least feel nervous about the law. He's also far from the only Mexican-American player to say something similar -- Adrian Gonzalez started saying he'd boycott the second the law passed, and Joakim Soria is quoted in the ESPN article, too.

Whether or not the law actually targets Latinos is probably better left to the Political Scene forum, but I think anyone in Yo's shoes would be sensitive about the subject.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

If he's truly boycotting the state, why isn't he refusing to play all games in Arizona?

Perhaps he will -- I suspect the question he was asked was All-Star related, since we are in the AS break... and they probably didn't discuss regular season games, or spring break (as JB12 mentions)...

Since the Latino community makes up such a huge portion of MLB and its fans -- I suspect this will become a huge issue next year.

Boycotting his team's games in AZ would be a detriment to his team and possibly a breach of his contract. The ASG is a voluntary spectacle celebrating all things baseball. People want to see MLB make a stand supporting its large Latino fan base and players. I don't have a problem with Yo or any player taking a stand on an issue. I certainly understand why he would feel this way and respect his opinion.

Going forward it will be interesting to see how the law affects the D-Backs' or Az Cardinals' abilities to draft and sign Latino and Hispanic players.

Just a pressure tactic, like the NFL used against Arizona with the Super Bowl. Let them boycott, the All Star game lost relevance to me about 20 years ago when the players stopped caring. Players have been cooking up fake injuries and the like for several years, this would be no different. Play the game, and if players don't want to show up, too bad- mostly for them.

I don't have a problem with Yo or any player taking a stand on an issue.

Right, but I really don't see this as taking a stand though. Like you stated, he's obviously not willing to give up anything too meaningful to make his "stand" -- just an exhibition game that doesn't take place until a year from now. If he was willing to boycott all activities/games in Arizona, and be willing to deal with the consequences (including potentially giving up a lot of money), it might appear more serious. This All-Star game threat seems like half-hearted posturing to me I guess.

Like you stated, he's obviously not willing to give up anything too meaningful to make his "stand" -- just an exhibition game that doesn't take place until a year from now.

I think you are reading too much into what he said -- I think the question and discussion was only as it relates to the AS game....

I suspect that Yo doesn't want to draw attention to his team, and make a statement like "I am not pitching in AZ" at this point in the season. My guess as well, is that the union is probably 100% against this law, and will use its leverage (whatever that is) to make the players and fans content.

If the Latino people are not pacified on this issue -- I definitely think that there will be some players that will flat out refuse to play in AZ. Who knows who those players will be, and if Yo will be among them.

If the Latino people are not pacified on this issue -- I definitely think that there will be some players that will flat out refuse to play in AZ. Who knows who those players will be, and if Yo will be among them.
Frankly, who cares? They would be hurting themselves more than anything. Going further, I have a tough time believing that any of them with an all-star bonus in their contract would turn it down- If so, more power to them, they are a better man than I.

Frankly, who cares?

Clearly, Gallardo cares.

They would be hurting themselves more than anything.

It's called sacrifice. It's what leaders do when they believe in something more important than themselves.

If people talk about it enough, baseball is going to react at some point. It's too early to know what will happen, and it's probably too early for baseball to change just yet. They presumably want to monitor how the law is enforced and the attention it gets. If it was just a law passed that won't actually change anything, it will blow over. But if there are national stories about this and any problems that occur, baseball will be pressured to move the game. MLB changed the rules of the ASG to avoid the stink that occurred when there was a tie in an exhibition game. I don't think MLB will want to keep the ASG in Arizona next year if it turns into an ongoing national story.

Frankly, who cares?

My guess, millions of people.

Going further, I have a tough time believing that any of them with an all-star bonus in their contract would turn it down

They were Latino before they were baseball players.

they are a better man than I.

That's a possibility. Different people have different priorities.

Baseball players have a long history of using their position to make a larger point. I think it's great that Yovani would stand up for something like this that he believes in. My guess is many other hispanic players are going to make this a big issue next year as well and as the pressure mounts a big group will boycott. It will be curious to see if other non-hispanic players join the cause as well. What if a Jeter or Braun came out and said they'd boycott too? Things could get very interesting.

I do admit to being strongly biased against this law (a debate for another topic). That being said, regardless of the cause if it is truly something they believe in more power to them. The all-star game is a much larger podium to make a point than a meaningless regular season game between the D-Backs and Brewers. It is interesting to note though that by playing games in Arizona and drawing a paycheck, Yovani will have to pay taxes to Arizona this year.

So, should non-Latino players refuse to play in Arizona unless the law is upheld, as the Tucson/Phoenix areas have become 2nd in the world (behind Boguta, Columbia) in kidnapping? If athletes should be asked to "sacrifice," shouldn't everyone say "I'm worried for my life and that of my family, and therefore will not step foot in Arizona unless this law is upheld and enforced?"

I'm with most on this board... Athletes and athletics should not be used as a political platform. It should be our refuge from all the politics affecting every other aspect of our lives.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

This reminds me a little bit of the notorious AFL all-star game that was scheduled to be played in New Orleans in the early 1960s. The African-American players were treated horribly there because of Jim Crow (I think one even had a gun pulled on him when he tried to enter a bar?) and voted to boycott the game. IIRC, the league relented and rescheduled the game for somewhere else.

(Obviously, MLB in 2011 is not the AFL in 1963 or whenever it was -- I'm not pushing the comparison that far.)

Archived