Brewer Fanatic

Please Help Out the Newest Brewers Fan from Dallas, Texas

Sorry this is not baseball related but I have to defend Brett. Clearly, 8brewcrew, he hates the Packers and all he ever wanted his entire career was to play for the Vikings. This is why he signed a lifetime contract with the Packers in 2001. Or maybe, he was forced out by the greedy GM who wanted his own guy after taking the team to the NFC champ game? It is possible to still be a Packers fan and cheer for Brett because you understand that if he had things his way he would be the QB in Green Bay. Did you see him crying when he was booed at Lambeau, yeah this guy is a real Benedict Arnold.
Alright, this is the last comment I will make on this thread about Favre....

He retired before he could be forced out of the organization! He expected that we'd just let him back after we had already moved on with A-Rodg. He's as egotistical as they come. Instead of playing a second season with the Jets he retired (again) just so he could sign with the Vikings and stick it to the Packers. How many off-seasons has this been now that he's "contemplated" retirement? If I count right, at least the past 4. Hate to break it to you Judas, you're not going to win another Super Bowl. You've proven that you just can't perform in the clutch.

InsomniacInkRoss wrote:

Tim gets extra points for being blind.

I had no idea Tim was blind until reading it on this thread. I've always enjoyed listening to his post game, I think he has a fantastic voice for radio. More props to him.

Thundercat - Are you able to watch any of the games down in Dallas?

8brewcrew,

Well I got pretty excited when I realized I can watch some Brewers/Astros games. You have Fox Sports Wisconsin, I have Fox Sports Southwest. It mostly broadcasts Rangers games, but if there is ever an overlap. Say the Rangers play a day game and the Astros play a night game then you almost always get the Astros game too. That weekend the Rangers are on the West coast with one game at 10:05 first pitch. I think I'll get to see the Brewers/Astros game at 7pm that night, and looks like 2 or 3 others over the course of the season. Although, Sept 13-15th I already have it in the back of my mind to take a little road trip down to Houston and take in that series. I don't like to go to baseball games unless I get really good seats, so we'll see. I'm having a bit of a downswing with poker lately, but between now and then is plenty of time for me to turn that around. If I can go, I'm going to get a vintage Ryan Braun Brewers jersey (why did they ever change?) sit as close to the Brewers dugout as I can and bring some signs. I'll see if I can't get on the air with a hello brewerfan.net sign and that.

I know when I (use to) watch the Rangers broadcasts they always show fans in Rangers gear on the road. I think thats pretty much true of all sports road TV broadcasts. Oh and of course I'll be able to see any Sunday Night games the Brewers play in on ESPN, or Fox Saturday baseball, or any featured games on mlbnetwork. Most likely mlbnetwork, unfortunately I doubt the Brew Crew make it on ESPN or Fox for any national games the rest of the year. Unless maybe its vs Strasburg.

Edit: Oooooh, I forgot about WGN broadcasts. Looks like theres a few of those on the schedule too http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

The WGN announcers are borderline unwatchable. Brenly is an idiot. I saw one game where he went on and on about how a pitch to Lee was a ball even after replays clearly showed it at the knees and over the plate. Ugh.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• 1 year later...

update: i haven't posted on here in a very long time. i've still been keeping up with the brew crew tho. i have mlb extra innings this season so that makes being a brewers fan in dallas, tx about 1,000x better.

so here's the big news! i'm coming home august 28th brewers/cubs! i'll be at the game and hoping to meet up with some of my fellow brewer faithful before the game for some good 'ol tailgating action http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

oh i'm also going to be in milwaukee for part of that week. i arrive tues aug 23rd, but i'm going to spend the day in chicago (cubs/braves i have the bartman seat, insanely happy about that, lol it defies logic really). i'll be back in milwaukee wed 24th/thurs 25th and then green bay fri 26th/sat 27th for my cousin's wedding. then at miller park bright and early sun morning the 28th.

i'd love some tips on what to do and what to see in milwaukee. anybody have any good tips for a hotel? the best i've been able to find so far is the laquinta inn in brookfield for $62/night. i have the money, but that's kinda high if you ask me. i could stay in a 4 star hotel in dallas for $125/night. are hotels in milwaukee in short supply or something? or is something going on that weekend? i guess dallas just has more hotels so the demand is less, but that really baffles me.

so far i've come across a few good ideas.

wed: miller park tour, miller brewing company tour, there's a ladies night at some piano bar that was rated highly on tripadvisor.com, and possibly sneak in a lake front/riverboat ride

thurs: i plan on sneaking down to burlington to see where tony romo learned his nunchucks skills, his bow hunting skills, his computer hacking skills... in general just soak up the greatness http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif then i don't really know what else to do. there's a hooters not too far from the laquinta in brookfield. i guess i could kill time there if i don't think of anything better to do.

sat night i wanted to come back to milwaukee about 10pm and hit some clubs. i heard good things about cush. would anybody recommend any other places?

thanks for the help fellas! i hope i get a chance to meet a few of you before the game, cheers

i heard good things about cush.

Hate to break it to you Thundercat, but Cush burned down in a fire a few years ago. Wasn't downtown or that great anyway. The Piano Bar you're likely talking about is Lucille's and that can be a fun time. There's a fairly new bar downtown called Red Rock, it's a country bar and a really great time. Might be more to your liking.

I strongly suggest you do the Lakefront Brewery Tour instead of/ in addition to the Miller Tour. Lakefront makes some great beer and the old barrel that Bernie Brewer used to slide into at County Stadium can be seen on the tour.

Can't really recommend any hotels for you because I've never had to get one. I've heard great things about the Phister hotel, but I have a feeling it's a little pricey.

Thundercat32]update: i haven't posted on here in a very long time. i've still been keeping up with the brew crew tho. i have mlb extra innings this season so that makes being a brewers fan in dallas, tx about 1,000x better.

so here's the big news! i'm coming home august 28th brewers/cubs! i'll be at the game and hoping to meet up with some of my fellow brewer faithful before the game for some good 'ol tailgating action http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

oh i'm also going to be in milwaukee for part of that week. i arrive tues aug 23rd, but i'm going to spend the day in chicago (cubs/braves i have the bartman seat, insanely happy about that, lol it defies logic really). i'll be back in milwaukee wed 24th/thurs 25th and then green bay fri 26th/sat 27th for my cousin's wedding. then at miller park bright and early sun morning the 28th.

i'd love some tips on what to do and what to see in milwaukee. anybody have any good tips for a hotel? the best i've been able to find so far is the laquinta inn in brookfield for $62/night. i have the money, but that's kinda high if you ask me. i could stay in a 4 star hotel in dallas for $125/night. are hotels in milwaukee in short supply or something? or is something going on that weekend? i guess dallas just has more hotels so the demand is less, but that really baffles me.

so far i've come across a few good ideas.

wed: miller park tour, miller brewing company tour, there's a ladies night at some piano bar that was rated highly on tripadvisor.com, and possibly sneak in a lake front/riverboat ride

thurs: i plan on sneaking down to burlington to see where tony romo learned his nunchucks skills, his bow hunting skills, his computer hacking skills... in general just soak up the greatness http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif then i don't really know what else to do. there's a hooters not too far from the laquinta in brookfield. i guess i could kill time there if i don't think of anything better to do.

sat night i wanted to come back to milwaukee about 10pm and hit some clubs. i heard good things about cush. would anybody recommend any other places?

thanks for the help fellas! i hope i get a chance to meet a few of you before the game, cheers

Whenever we go up to Milwaukee for a game, we usually stay at the Residence Inn in Brookfield. It's a little pricey, but the comfort and the ease of access can't be beat. Plus you get a refrigerator for the beer you WILL buy after any of the brewery tours that you do.

anybody have any good tips for a hotel? the best i've been able to find so far is the laquinta inn in brookfield for $62/night. i have the money, but that's kinda high if you ask me.

I believe the La Quinta in Delafield has rooms at $49 a night. It's a nice hotel in a great location. There's a movie theater and Walmart within walking distance. Across the road is a Target and a bunch of other places. It's also right by Marty's Pizza, expensive but really good.

It's also easy to get from there to Miller Park. It's right off I-94 about 25 minutes from Miller Park.

8brewcrew]I've heard great things about the Phister hotel, but I have a feeling it's a little pricey.
As someone who had a choir field trip to the Pfister Hotel I can assure you it is indeed very expensive.

I assume you are talking about Lucille's (DON"T GO THERE ON WEDNESDAY NIGHTS). I took a date there once on a wednesday night. There is no piano music, there is a dj. There are free chicken wings. There were drunk people playing beer pong, but thats about it. The lakefront tour is a blast, I believe they do it afternoons during the week. Id recommend it over the miller one.

looked it up, ladies night is thursdays not wednesdays so maybe we aren't talking about the same place, but i don't know of another piano bar in town.

Kind of depends on what you are looking for. Water street is where all the college age kids hang out, Brady Street is where the "hippy" people hang out. Milwaukee Street is a booming area downtown. Its sort of higher class clientele though. North Avenue can be fun. Its more of a mixed crowd. Has a couple cool bars. Cush is part of the North Avenue area, before it burnt down.

Lucilles is a blast on Saturday nights though. there will be a ton of bachelorette parties and birthdays. They bring them up on stage throughout the night to write songs for them.

8brew,

lol, i'll check out red rock, but i hate country! lol i just wanna see what a country bar would look like in milwaukee. actually if you drive around the dallas area you'll go all week and not see someone with a cowboy hat or cowboy boots on. if you go west of dallas towards fort worth or outside of dallas in the country areas thats when it gets a bit country. kinda funny tho.

i'm diggin callin all of these places in wisconsin and hearing the accent. i called this hooters in greenfield and the girl that answered the phone was giving me attitude, excepts she sounded like some 40 yr old chick on a farm with 8 kids, LOL! oh man that priceless.

thanks for the tip on the lakerfront brewery tour. i've added that to my itinerary.

packman87,

i think typically i would pay a lil extra for a hotel with more amenities, but since this is my first time to milwaukee. i don't plan on spending much time in my room. i just want somewhere clean. doesn't seem like i can find a place during the week for less than $80 tho. i'm getting this "we have alot of wedding parties booked for those dates" routine.

lukevan,

that's a good point. i guess i just didn't expect the options to be so limited. and comparatively speaking, i had some friends come to stay in dallas super bowl week they were able to book a room at the laquinta inn down here (in a nice area of town) for $63/night all taxes & fees included. that's super bowl week. and you can find hotel rooms in dallas in the $40-$50 range 365/days a year. i could get a 4 star hotel room down here for $125/night. but to be fair, i know where to look and which plays are desirable and undesirable, so i have that working against me in milwaukee. i really do think it has something to do with dallas having more hotels total so they have to be very competitive with each other in their pricing.

patrick,

yeah i think it was lucille's, you're saying that place is lame during the week and only go on sat night, huh?

thanks for the tips on which streets to hit up. that's kinda what i was thinking. just walk up and down some streets. like in austin, tx all you have to do is walk up & down 6th street and you'll find plenty to do. here in dallas you have 4-6 areas to hit up, so it's about knowing which places to hit up. i'd be in favor of hitting up water street, milwaukee street, and north ave from the sound of it. on brady street are you saying "hippy" as in trendy or as in 70s smoked out, far out man! kinda hippy?

Keep in mind Brookfield isn't close to downtown. Now the drive at 1 am tends to be fine but it isn't some place you'll want to take a cab to. I'm getting about $50 a night in Wauwatosa (closer to Miller park and downtown) on hotels.com for a Super 8 and a Days Inn. Its also listing the Astor in milwaukee (its right by the lake) at $79 a night (only 2 rooms left) that would be worth it.

i'd be in favor of hitting up water street, milwaukee street, and north ave from the sound of it. on brady street are you saying "hippy" as in trendy or as in 70s smoked out, far out man! kinda hippy?

Brady Street is the trendy area. You mentioned Austin... it's kinda like the SoCo area down there but not quite as extreme. There are a few bars on the street that can be fun to go to. JoCats is one that comes to mind. It's really small, always packed, and they rarely have drink specials but it always seems to be a good time there.

Milwaukee Street is definitely the new popular area in the city. Most of the bars have strict dress codes (no tennis shoes, hats, etc), cover, and expensive drinks. I wouldn't suggest going to that area after a game. Might not be the crowd you're looking for.

Water Street and 3rd Street run parallel to each other and are definitely the college bars. You'll find a lot of cool bars with good drink specials but you'll have to put up with a lot of drunks most likely. As I mentioned before, Red Rock is one of my favorites and is located on Water Street. Trinity and The Harp are two other bars on Water Street that come to mind. Lucille's is on 3rd Street and I would suggest going there on the weekend. There's also a couple of cool German bars on the street that serve good German beer in boots and great German food... Old German Beer Hall and the Milwaukee Brat House.

Don't suggest going to North Avenue either. It's about a 15 minute cab ride from Water/3rd Street and is definitely another college area as it's just a few blocks from the UWM campus. This is where Cush was before it burned down. There aren't any bars I can really suggest going to on North Avenue.

I suggest you stick to the Water Street/3rd Street area. Both Brady Street and Milwaukee Street are within walking distance (or a short cab ride).

yeah i think it was lucille's, you're saying that place is lame during the week and only go on sat night, huh?

i think thursday - saturday is fine, i just had a horrible experience there on a wednesday night and there wasn't even any piano playing.

I posted this same thing for another visitor coming up from Cincy not too long ago... Some of if probably isn't your style, but take what you can from it. Like others said, if you want to be near the action, stay in Milwaukee or at the very furthest, Wauwatosa or West Allis. Delafield is pretty far from Milwaukee and Brookfield is also a bit out there. Check priceline for hotel rates, you can probably get them better than if you call. Lowball them by a ton. They give you a counteroffer which usually works.

First off, you HAVE to tailgate. You can get a disposable grill for cheap at most hardware stores, but if you are driving up, you may want to bring a small weber.

These are my recommendations to you:

*Lakefront brewery is hands down the best brewery tour in the state, and I'd dare say country. One magazine stated "If Miller Brewery is the Harvard of beer tours, than Lakefront would be it's Animal House" take that for what you will. They do tours early in the afternoon during the summer as well, so you'll have plenty of time to get to the game.

*Sobelman's has the best burgers in town. It's located on St Paul which is fairly close to where you're staying. They also have a second location that uses grassfed beef on the east side of town. Both are about the same distance. Tallgrass is healthier, yet I prefer the St Paul location.

*My favorite italian in town is a little hole in the wall place called Cafe Centro in the Riverwest neighborhood. They open at 4 or 5 so you should be able to get in there and eat before the game.

*Oakland Gyro's is the bar time place of choice around here. Your basic gyro/burger joint.

*Blue Egg has great breakfast on the west side of town if you feel the need to explore over there.

*My favorite Mexican place is called Guanajuato (or GTO's) in Bay View. They give you way too much food for a very reasonable price. The margarita's are also pretty strong.

*Right across the street from there is the Sugar Maple bar with 60 craft/microbrews on tap. They start at about 5 bucks a pint, kinda pricey, but lots to choose from.

*Another great Mexican place to check out is Conejito's which is very close to the park, cheap and great mexican food served on paper plates. Margarita's are also pretty good. People buy the salsa by the pint. There is generally some characters in there, well worth the experience.

*Someone mentioned going to Comet Cafe, however, I'd say their counter part Honeypie is WAY better. Also in Bay View, they also carry a lot of great bottled microbrews.

*The Old German Beer hall is also excellent, go in and get a liter of beer for 10 bucks, try their giant pretzels, and while your at it, make some friends and do a shot-ski. Right next door is the Milwaukee Brat House which generally has ridiculous deals, like 3 for 1's on taps.

*If you're coming in on a Thursday, check out Stubby's between the lower east side and Riverwest. They have 2 dollar off pints Thursdays, and there's probably 50 to choose from. They carry tons of local beers, along with other nationally known micros. I've been told the food is pretty great too, and they give you huge portions.

*While I absolutely hate the area, many love Water street, I'd imagine it'll be nuts after 11 or so because Summerfest is going on. Stay with the 3rd street theme, or you can barhop around Brady Street which isn't too much further. If you want to get into the hole-in-the-wall bar scene then go check out the Riverwest neighborhood (the punk rock/alternative/artsy part of town). Inbox me if that interests you at all, I don't know what you're into so I don't wanna type it all that out for nothing.

*Down on the lakefront is Discovery World, which is essentially right next to the art museum. I haven't actually been in it since they relocated, but there's a lot of fun and interesting stuff in there, though it's probably more kid oriented. (Can someone verify that?)

Any other questions, feel free to contact me, I'd be glad to help!

Archived