Brewer Fanatic

Please Help Out the Newest Brewers Fan from Dallas, Texas

Hello Brewers Nation,

I just responded to the Cliff Lee to the Rangers thread and shared my thoughts on that deal. That trade has landed me a Brewers fan. Just briefly, I grew up with the Rangers rooting for them as a kid from 88-94. Then Major League Baseball gave all of the fans the finger with the strike year '94 and I got into basketball and never came back until my best friend a devoted Rangers fan got me hooked again during the 2008 season. Getting back into baseball has been like being a little kid again. The Rangers have been alot of fun to watch and root for since '08. The young talent on that team is phenomenal. However, trading Justin Smoak is an unforgiveable sin in my book. I would say its akin to trading Ryan Braun in his rookie season to a division rival for 3 months service of whoever their top pitcher was at the time. Sure its great for those 3 months, but what about the next 10 years? In my view the Rangers do things the wrong way and to put it bluntly just aren't that smart from the GM to the Manager to the way the players themselves approach the game. They're one of the most undisciplined teams at the plate. They just don't do any of the little things it takes to win.

Now I'm sure some of you are thinking to yourself, and you think any of this is going to improve becoming a Brewers fan? Well first of all, my Dad's first date with my Mom was at County Stadium back in 1974 I do believe. My Dad's favorite baseball player is Robin Yount and I was born in Hartford, Wisconsin. I still have relatives in the Green Bay area (although I'm not converting to a Packers fan, but hey Go Tony Romo amirite? lol) I have ties to the Milwaukee area and have always secretly rooted for the Brewers and followed them to some degree from afar.

Ok, so I need help getting caught up. Since Friday I've taken a crash course in all things Brewers. I'm familiar with the 25 man, the 40 man and some of the Power 50. I'm up to speed on the current pressing issues.... what do you do with Prince? to trade or not to trade Corey? what about Rickie (and how does Lawrie factor into all of this)? I'm aware of the team needs. I know pretty much everyone wants to lop off Macha's head and roll it right into Lake Michigan. Obv, I've heard about Bob Uecker's health concerns and surgery. Get well soon Bob!

Here's where I could use some help. I know the games are broadcast on WTMJ. I listened to Bill Michaels and Davey Nelson do yesterday's post game show. Then I listened to some old archived Bill Michaels tailgater pregame shows. I like Bill he pilots the show well, although he's not the most insightful, he's still very knowledgable. Then I listened to Tim & Sparky on 1250AM Sportsradio Milwaukee on the Ussinger's post game show. I don't remember which guy it was, but one of them I thought was a super generic goofball. He just kept saying things like the whole goal is win the World Series and we gotta get some pitching in here. I was thinking to myself geez, Einstein wanna tell me something I don't already know? The other guy was really good tho. I heard an archived interview with Anthony Witrado on Bill Michaels' show. I thought he was kinda meh. I don't know I could be spoiled here Dallas is a top 10 market, maybe top 5 so all of the media personalities are usually very experienced by the time they take the air. It would make sense Milwaukee would have more people newer to the business. Or then again maybe I'm just use to the guys I've grown up with. But I really don't think thats the case. Evan Grant who is the former beat writer of the Rangers for the Dallas Morning News and now covers them basically on his own is just OUTSTANDING. And of course the radio voice of the Rangers, Eric Nadel is a 32 year veteran and a local legend.

I'm an online poker player by trade, so that lends itself to very long hours and the need for audio entertainment. I'd love to find some podcasts to listen to on Brewers baseball. So far Google searches have turned up dry. Although, I did find this site. I think it'd be a great idea for this site to start a podcast. Maybe the forum members could contribute from week to week so its not such a huge undertaking. Seems like a good revenue stream.

The only other thing I'd like to mention. I read Moneyball last fall and really have gotten into sabermetrics since. I have ALOT to learn, but I'd love to talk to some Brewers fans who are knowledgeable of sabermetrics and can bring me up to speed there. I'll give you an example. Last year I was very excited about Scott Feldman's future possibilities. Then I got into sabremetrics and learned he was really just extremely lucky last season and he was very unlikely to ever repeat that kind of season again. I have a feeling something similar is going on with Corey Hart this season, although I haven't checked the statistics just yet. On the whole some sabermaticians can be really snobby and quite geeky, but it is a fantastic tool. It can help you take a better look at things like, is this guy really this good or is he just very lucky? On the flip side it can give you hope for players that are struggling or it can pretty much confirm yeah this guy stinks!

Ok sorry for the long winded post, but I'm just so excited. Getting to start from scratch with a whole new team, a team from the city I was born in. It just makes me feel like an 8 yr old kid all over again.

Go Brew Crew!

Thundercat32

I read Moneyball last fall and really have gotten into sabermetrics

since. I have ALOT to learn, but I'd love to talk to some Brewers fans

who are knowledgeable of sabermetrics and can bring me up to speed

there.

Two books I would recommend are Baseball Between the Numbers and The Book. The first is more of a primer on changing thinking towards traditional baseball thinking. Small ball and closer usage type stuff. The second is much more in depth and gets really heavy on the mathematics. They give nice summaries at the end of each chapter which you can skip to and read if you don't want to get into the math part. I also would recommend these sites. On the Shoulders of Giants. Compilation of saber type stuff. Sabermetrics Library.

what about Rickie (and how does Lawrie factor into all of this)?
Weeks would be a guy to extend since he is not likely to cost to much. 2B in general don't get paid to much. According to Cot's Contracts.(great site for baseball contract and transaction info)

Second basemen

The highest-paid active

second basemen, by average annual value:

1. Chase Utley, $12,142,857 (2007-13)
  2. Brian Roberts,

$10,000,000 (2010-13)

3. Robinson

Cano, $7,500,000 (2008-11)

4. Brian

Roberts, $7,150,000 (2008-09)

5. Dustin

Pedroia, $6,750,000 (2009-14)

Brandon

Phillips, $6,750,000 (2008-11)

6. Orlando Hudson, $6,250,000 (2008)

Luis Castillo, $6,250,000 (2008-11)

7. Kaz Matsui, $5,500,000 (2008-10)

Freddy Sanchez, $5,500,000 (2008-09)

Mark Ellis, $5,500,000 (2009-10)

8. Placido Polanco, $4,600,000 (2006-09)
I'm aware of the team needs. I know pretty much everyone wants to lop

off Macha's head and roll it right into Lake Michigan.

There are also quite a few who don't think it matters. The next guy is likely to be inept except in a different way. Most managers do pretty similar things.

I heard an archived interview with Anthony Witrado on Bill Michaels'

show. I thought he was kinda meh.

Witrado is not well liked around here. He is a Dodgers fan. His writing is poor. Some think he is a punk cause of how he acts.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Then I listened to Tim & Sparky on 1250AM Sportsradio Milwaukee on the Ussinger's post game show. I don't remember which guy it was, but one of them I thought was a super generic goofball. He just kept saying things like the whole goal is win the World Series and we gotta get some pitching in here. I was thinking to myself geez, Einstein wanna tell me something I don't already know?

Sparky. He's useless. Don't listen if you value your sanity.

I heard an archived interview with Anthony Witrado on Bill Michaels' show. I thought he was kinda meh.

I'd say that Witrado is kinda "blecch", and also kinda "ugh".

If you're unhappy with some of the moves the Rangers' GM makes, you're gonna love the moves our GM makes when it comes to pitching. Anyway, if you're in to following the minor leagues, you must follow guys like Brett Lawrie, Lorenzo Cain, Jake Odorrizi, Cody Scarpetta, Scooter Gennett, Khris Davis, Amaury Rivas, etc. These guys are the future.

wibadgers,

what I've read so far leads me to believe the top prospect is Brett Lawrie and then it drops off substantially. Although, thats not considering we have top prospects Alcides Escobar, Johnathan Lucroy, and Zach Braddock already up with the big club this year. From there the guys that impress me the most are (in order) Eric Arnett, Lorenzo Cain, Mat Gamel (I'm very skeptical he's nothing more than a journeyman big leaguer, but he's a more known commodity so he gets the nod over others), Amaury Rivas, and I might throw in Jeremy Jeffress, but he reeks of lost cause. Of course you also have to factor in this year's first round pick Dylan Covey, but thats going to take some time.

So make a case to me for the other guys, b/c really no one else is screaming I'm a unique talent. At least not at first glance.

Edit: Oh also, about Jon "Wonderboy" Daniels GM of the Rangers. I'll give him credit he did pull off the biggest heist in Major League history with the Teixeira trade, but every other move he's made has ranged from down right atrocious to highly questionable. And yeah maybe I have a soft spot for Doug Melvin, because he lead the Rangers to their first ever playoff appearance. I also like him, because he use to come on a local sports show called the Hardline and really came across as an all around good guy. That said, if the next Billy Beane is waiting to take over the reigns for the Brew Crew, too bad so sad Doug Melvin.

2nd Edit: Whoops, maybe I should wait til the Brewers sign Covey before I start signing his praises

Thudercat32 - Welcome to BF.net and life as a Brewers fan. Fasten your seatbelt if you thought life was nasty, brutish, and short as Rangers fan.

As far as prospects go.... Keep an eye on Jake Odorizzi and Wily Peralta. Arnett looks pretty awful so I don't know if I'd get excited about him.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

not to mention the fact that Melvin loves to pick up former Texas Rangers players and farmhands, so you'll feel right at home!

Welcome to the site! Wonderful first few posts!

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

And yeah maybe I have a soft spot for Doug Melvin, because he lead the Rangers to their first ever playoff appearance. I also like him, because he use to come on a local sports show called the Hardline and really came across as an all around good guy.
If you want the inside track on an inside joke/observation, you'd have finished that sentence with "all around good guy and that." http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Welcome aboard, and I hope you find what you're looking for with the Brewers.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Thundercat32,

I often take the opposite view of the moneyball types on here. I can't believe you gave up on the Rangers because they traded Justin Smoak. It's not like he was tearing up the AL and at 23 it's not like he's all that young. So it's not like if the Brewers traded Braun or Fielder when they were 23. Smoak is slugging .346 playing in Texas. He didn't even slug .400 in AAA. Do you know what Braun and Fielder slugged at age 23? (.634 and .618). You should be more unhappy that they dealt a very good reliever in Chris Ray for Bengie Molina.

It's also not like the Rangers don't still have great young core. Chris Davis is more than an adequate replacement for Smoak. He actually may be an upgrade at least in the short term. You've got a great young SS in Andrus too and young pitching galore in Tommy Hunter, Derek Holland and others.

Cliff Lee gives the Rangers a shot at progressing in the playoffs. As we Brewer fans know, you can't assume you'll get there again, you have to go for it when you have a shot. I like their chances a lot more with Lee at the head of the rotation.

So make a case to me for the other guys, b/c really no one else is screaming I'm a unique talent. At least not at first glance.
Definitely keep an eye on Jake Odorizzi. 96 strikeouts and 26 walks in a little over 78 IP this year. Only 20 years old too. He's our next Gallardo, IMO.

Great thread, welcome, and so on.

I personally really like 1250's post game show, Sparky and Tim, for various reasons. Tim gets extra points for being blind.

For a team that has won 1 playoff game in their entire 50 years, I thought the Lee deal was outstanding for Texas. I often said this, even if LaPorta (or Brantley) turn into first ballot hall of famers, the trade for Sabathia was worth it in 2008. That whole season was such a fun time in my life.

*edit/add on: I also think dual fandoms are allowed between the AL and NL. I keep a close eye on the Indians since my whole family is from the Cleveland area and would definitely call myself and Indians fan, no need to keep it secret.

And, I could care less about Tony Romo and would be fine if San Diego wanted to claim him instead of us. (He was born there)

dlk9s, hey whats up bro. Good to know somebody here right off the bat... Thanks for the welcomes fellas and hawing thanks for the inside tip on the lingo.

I think I could go on and on about the Smoak trade and the reasons not to do it, but ultimately it comes down to a disagreement in philosophies and timing. Do you strengthen your playoff chances this year at the expense of really hurting your playoff chances for years to come? I'm a guy thats usually against it. However, I did think it made sense for the Mavericks to trade Devin Harris for Jason Kidd. Dirk was getting up there in years and Devin wasn't necessarily fitting in with the offense. I agreed with that trade b/c it was time to strike while the iron was hot. The Rangers are in a completely different stage as a team. Unlike the Mavericks they haven't been the to Championship game they have little to no playoff experience. There's nothing to suggest this is their year. When you really break it down its a team of guys who are running really hot right now (the team's BaBip is tied for 5th right now in the Majors) who isn't quite as good as their record indicates beating up on the weakest interleague schedule of anyone in the league. Now they have Cliff Lee maybe they are as good as their record indicates, but I still don't think they're favored over the Yankees. I just think they picked the peach of the tree before it was ready. In 2 years, I think they would be favored over the Yankees a declining 38 yr old Jeter, 37 yr old A-Rod, and likely retired 43 yr old Rivera. Sure they're the Yankees and retool at will, but even for them thats a tall order of superstars to replace. In Jeter and A-Rod's case they're both probably still at that point they're good enough you can't cut them, but not good enough to win titles anymore. Meanwhile you have Josh Hamilton, Nelson Cruz, and Ian Kinsler all in their very early 30s dominating, plus more seasoned players in Elvis Andrus, Neftali Feliz, Julio Borbon, Derek Holland, (Justin Smoak). Also you have Michael Young who's 36 but able to contribute as the DH, and you have guys like Martin Perez who are hopefully up and having terrific rookie seasons. It just doesn't make any sense from that perspective, which I think is the correct perspective. Plus, unlike Jason Kidd you're not likely to resign Cliff Lee. So you put all of your eggs in one basket and hit your opponent when he's strong and not at his weakest. How does that make sense?

Insomniac, first off I can relate lol, secondly thanks for the info on Tim on the 1250 postgame show. I really hope that isn't the guy I was hard on, I'd feel like a jerk.

Well, I now have a pet project this week which is to look through the sabremetric numbers at my disposal and try to make heads or tails of whether Hart is running like God right now or whether this is something he might legitimately be able to maintain. My big concern with him is he's such good friends with Braun I'd hate to upset Ryan. Still hopefully they all know this is a business and you have to make decisions that are in the business' best interest. We'll likely have to come to the same realization with Prince soon.

wibadgers,

yeah those are excellent numbers from Odorizzi. I'm going to keep an eye on him for sure. Here's a thought I had with the Braves trade rumors circling out there. Let me know what you think about this. Atlanta is looking for an outfielder since Heyward is coming off the DL and McClouth has been a disappointment. They're targeting Bautista, Willingham, and Hart. I think I'd be in favor of moving Hart there for a pitching prospect, and if I can move Mat Gamel there as a replacement for Chipper Jones to get a better pitching prospect then I do that. I hear the Braves have high hopes for Edward Salcedo, a young SS prospect who they think will eventually move to 3B. So i don't know if Gamel interests them, but if so thats a deal that makes a lot of since, particularly if you can pry loose Julio Teheran their #1 pitching prospect or Arodys Vizcaino a 19 yr old pitching prospect with big upside kinda like Perez.

Thundercat32,

The bloom has been coming off of Gamel for a while. He's got just 4 HR and 51 K's in 183 AB's in stops at 3 levels this year where he's hit just .268 combined. This after disappointing numbers in 2009. Plus he turns 25 in a couple weeks. I doubt he has much value at all.

brwrsfan,

got your pm and replied, thanks

BSC,

hahaha, ok I'll mind my Ps & Qs... Yeah I'm a Cowboys fan, but I wouldn't say I'm a die hard. Far from it, some times I don't even watch the games. They were great to root for in the early 90s, but they got really annoying in the mid 90s with all of the scandals. Living in Dallas at that time it was all you would hear or read about. You couldn't turn on the TV for 5 seconds without hearing about Michael Irvin or Erick Williams. That really turned me off to them and I haven't ever gotten back to that level. Now that they have Romo and got rid of T.O. they're easier to root for again. Probably doesn't help much, but the Packers are my second favorite team and I think everybody loves Brett Favre.

Yeah, Tim is the "super generic goofball. He just kept saying things like the whole goal

is win the World Series and we gotta get some pitching in here."

I give him a ton of credit for being able to remember stats, and he is able to hit :10 and :15 second promo spots without reading them and timing them out. I've worked in TV and seen people not be able to hit times so good with a script in front on them.

His overall philosophy on baseball is to build around pitching, not hitting, which he hits on a lot having to fill 2 hours or so after each game. So he wasn't exactly saying "lets just add pitching" but that "a team should be built around pitching" and he would only concentrate on that going forward with the draft. I believe he even said he would draft pitchers with the first 30 picks in the draft.

More on Tim here:

Although, as with anyone, or any radio show, they both can become a bit much sometimes.

Thundercat32 wrote: but the Packers are my second favorite team and I think everybody loves Brett Favre.
I DESPISE Brett Favre.

I am a die hard, loyal Packers fan. Not one of those who still cheer for him even though he plays for the Vikings.

Sorry this is not baseball related but I have to defend Brett. Clearly, 8brewcrew, he hates the Packers and all he ever wanted his entire career was to play for the Vikings. This is why he signed a lifetime contract with the Packers in 2001. Or maybe, he was forced out by the greedy GM who wanted his own guy after taking the team to the NFC champ game? It is possible to still be a Packers fan and cheer for Brett because you understand that if he had things his way he would be the QB in Green Bay. Did you see him crying when he was booed at Lambeau, yeah this guy is a real Benedict Arnold.

Archived