Brewer Fanatic

2010-07-12 Homerun Derby, 7:00 PM CDT

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's certainly not full of big-time big contract boomers that can hit 'em 550-ft.

Maybe 475 ft. tops.

I'll predict tonight's winner will have a total (all rounds combined) of less than 30 HRs.

Round-by-Round, I'd go:

NL Participants

1. Corey Hart, MIL 7 (Hart advances in a swing-off)

2. Matt Holliday, STL 7

3. Hanley Ramirez, FLA 9

4. Chris Young, ARI 4

AL Participants

1. Miguel Cabrera, DET 6

2. David Ortiz, BOS 11

3. Nick Swisher, NYY 6

4. Vernon Wells, TOR 8

2nd round

Ortiz 7

Wells 4

Ramirez 7

Hart 3

Finals

Ramirez 6

Ortiz 5

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Community Moderator

The HR derby risks becoming the slam-dunk contest if they keep this up. I personally do not plan on watching the whole thing.

It is missing 1) the historically good HR hitters and 2) this year's best HR hitters. It is missing most of the top stars: Pujols, Howard, Josh Hamilton, and Prince. It only has 2 of the top 10 HR hitters from 2010. That's absolutely pathetic. The fanfare from ESPN has been low as well (primarily due to the World Cup). This should be one of the most boring and lowest-rated HR derbies in recent memory.

For the record, I'm predicting Miguel Cabrera with Vernon Wells as the runner-up. Ortiz will get tired after the first round.

I'll predict tonight's winner will have a total (all rounds combined) of less than 30 HRs.

That's not really going out on a limb there since only one winner has ever had more than 30.

Sorry, but when you need to fill out the field with Chris Young and Nick Swisher, your contest is in trouble. I remain convinced Adam Dunn should be an All-Star every year, if only to compete in this contest. He's hit 266 home runs since 2004 (38 per year) and hasn't been an All-Star once in that stretch.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Archived