Brewer Fanatic

Jack Z is new hero for Yankee haters everywhere...if he doesn't get fired first/ A little Lawrie love

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/hardball/up_more_thoughts_on_lee_trade_fZPq0skMLfj9mAUNIURryN

As a Yankee hater dating back to the late 70's, when the Brewers treated an 8 year old to a home season sweep of the Yanks (thanks dad for the tix and 85 mile drive from Oshkosh for each game), I always love it when the Bronx Bombers take one up the jiggy. Sounds like the Yankees and Cashman may be unwilling to trade in the future with the "evil" Jack Z.

Also, it sounds like Lawrie was on the very short list of players, along with Smoak and Montero, that Jack Z would accept as return in the Lee package. Nice to see Lawrie being recognized as one of the top 10 advanced prospects in the game, as Lawrie has not been getting the respect he deserves on this board for his performance this season.

Interestingly, the Mariners do think Montero can catch in an acceptable enough form, especially because they imagined his offense would outweigh anything he might give away defensively.

Not much of a surprise that Jack Z would want someone with a good bat, regardless of how bad the defense is. We see that all over the Brewers MLB roster.

There is a fine line between dishonorable and illegal...

Yes, NY Yankee fans, it is extremely honorable to win by using a systematically-designed monetary advantage. Using this writer's line of reasoning, it's not illegal for the Yankees to outbid everyone else for all the top free agents, but how honorable is it? Wouldn't true honor come from beating someone when you are at a disadvantage, so in other words, are not the Yankees the least honorable team in professional sports? Yankees fans (and writers) are so into the belief that they are entitled to their advantages that they cannot see the paradox.

I agree, Molitor Fan, it is great to see the Yankees get the short end of the stick every now and then. They'll probably still win the World Series due to Cashman's ability to use the Yankee money to his advantage, but at least in this small instance they get rebuffed.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Not much of a surprise that Jack Z would want someone with a good bat, regardless of how bad the defense is. We see that all over the Brewers MLB roster.

It's a surprise to me since all of his moves since becoming GM is based around defense.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/marinersblog/2012335914_the_politics_of_crime_baseball.html

Interesting bit of news here as Jack Z may be in a spot of trouble with his bosses concerning the prior criminal history (sex crime) of one of the players he received in the Cliff Lee deal. What Jack Z knew/perhaps did not disclose could potentially jeopardize his employment I would guess. Yikes.

What amused me the most about this article was the awful writing. Punctuation and sentence structure aren't exactly his strong suit. There were several times where I had to re-read a passage carefully to pick out what he was actually saying. If you've been getting paid since 1989 to write like that, it says something about the publication in general.

As for the actual content of the story - "boo hoo, the Yankees didn't get to fleece someone again with their over-hyped prospects. There must be something underhanded and anti-Yankees going on, so we'll say they agreed to the trade and then reneged on the deal. Evidence? We're the Yankees - who's more trustworthy than us? But don't worry, we'll get them back for not handing us a World Series..." http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Didn't Doug do the same thing to them with Cameron two years ago? Too bad Yankees. Grow up and move on.

iirc, they were working on a deal of Cameron for Melky Cabrera, when Cashman said that the Brewers would have to kick in a bunch of money to pay the difference in salaries, at which point Melvin hung up the phone.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I'm surprised 'Z' didn't want Evan Frederickson for Lee. He did throw 98 at a workout at Miller Park. They can have Cody Adams and Lintz too! I think he hit on 1 of 4 that year...should have been better.

Archived