Brewer Fanatic

Weeks' trade value...

We've obviously strayed from the topic, but Gomez currently has a -.8/150 UZR in CF for the Brewers. Given the limited value of UZR over a season, a half season's worth of stats with that ratio would be more accurately described as average, not below average or bad.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We've obviously strayed from the topic, but Gomez currently has a -.8/150 UZR in CF for the Brewers. Given the limited value of UZR over a season, a half season's worth of stats with that ratio would be more accurately described as average, not below average or bad.

True, but Gomez has had numerous misplays that aren't factored into his UZR, so I will stick with my original statement that he's played poorly defensively as a Brewer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Carlos Gomez career 14 UZR/150 over 2578 innings. You might as well argue that Gomez is a good hitter. You would be just as right as you are about his defense.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

True, but Gomez has had numerous misplays that aren't factored into his UZR

Umm. What?

Like throwing to the wrong base or missing the cutoff man.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Carlos Gomez career 14 UZR/150 over 2578 innings. You might as well argue that Gomez is a good hitter. You would be just as right as you are about his defense.

Whats his career UZR as a Brewer? If Fielder had a 700 OPS this year and I said he has hit poorly this year would I be wrong? I have never once said Gomez is a bad defender, so why are you arguing that? I said he's played poorly defensively as a Brewer, and to argue otherwise is indefensible. Sometimes players don't maintain defense over their careers. McGehee was claimed largely because of his defensive abilities, and he has proven to be a poor defender also.

True, but Gomez has had numerous misplays that aren't factored into his UZR

Umm. What?

Like throwing to the wrong base or missing the cutoff man.

http://www.fangraphs.com/...he-fangraphs-uzr-primer/

As well, outfield arm run values are also computed separately from “regular” UZR. They are based on the speed and location of batted balls to the outfield and how often base runners advance extra bases (advances), don’t advance the extra base (holds), or get thrown out trying to advance (kills). Park factors are used in arm ratings. For example, because the left fielder plays so shallow in Fenway and balls tend to quickly ricochet off the Green Monster, it is difficult to advance an extra base on a hit to LF in Boston. In Colorado, because the OF is so expansive, base runners advance more easily than in an average park. The UZR “arm engine” adjusts for those things.

It would seem that if throwing to the wrong base or missing a cutoff man has any tangible impact on baserunners advancing, UZR covers it.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived