Brewer Fanatic

Weeks' trade value...

I have a hard time believing Weeks is avg at 2nd. Yes, he's rangy and can make unbelievable plays (Cardinals last Saturday), but he's still liable to make errant throws at crucial times, and for some reason can't seem to glove liners.

If he can hit in the .250-.280 range, he's an on base machine, which is something we really don't have outside Prince. If we could convert him to CF or RF, I'd keep him, but I'm done with him at 2b. He worked his ass off to get where he is, but he just isn't a middle infielder.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with Jackalope and Invader3K. Move Weeks when the getting is good. No extensions for bad defenders.
So... Build around Gomez?

If Weeks is the building block you speak of, then he'll bring plenty in trade too right?

I'll let you build around Gomez, I'll build around my 1st baseman, Ryan Braun.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I don't think the Brewers have any plans or inclinations to convert Weeks to an outfielder, as has been suggested on this board time and again for years. I remember hearing Drew Olson comment that the brass had discussed it internally but decided against it. I believe that as long as he's a Brewer, he'll be a second baseman.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Anyway, if Weeks will sign for something like 4 years, $24 million total (and the contract would start next season), I wouldn't have a big problem with that. Anything more than that, and I think it's out of line.

I think Kinsler's contract is probably what Weeks can expect in free agency either this year or next year take into account inflation and it will be near 5 years $24-28 million range. With the 5th year being a team option year with a buyout. But if the Brewers could lock up Weeks to a contract similar to Kinsler I would be very happy.

From Cot's

Ian Kinsler 2b

years/$22M (2008-12), plus 2013 club option

years/$22M (2008-12), plus 2013 club option

• signed extension with Texas 2/19/08 (replaced 1
      year/$407,570 deal signed 2/15/08)
    • $1M signing bonus
    • 08:$0.5M,
      09:$3M, 10:$4M, 11:$6M, 12:$7M, 13:$10M club option ($0.5M buyout)
    • award bonus: $50,000 for All Star selection

Weeks has been the Brewers best offensive player this season, as he leads them in WAR. He should absolutely be targeted for an extension--it won't break the bank.
Agreed, Stevo. Weeks is improving still and is a prime example of a late bloomer. He can bat 3rd-4th-5th in the future and be a good run producer. He has been miscast in the leadoff role long enough already.

How is Weeks miscast? I don't get this idea that the Brewers need to find a worse hitter in order for Weeks to be out in a position where his bat is less valuable.

No one is saying get a worse player, that's absurd. People are saying that, ideally, the Brewers would be able to find/produce a bat worthy of hitting leadoff so Rickie could bat in a position where his good power would produce more runs.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

No, it's not necessarily worse. It's different. I agree it's a hard bat to find (hence why the Brewers haven't been able to), but no one is suggesting we go all Guillen/Baker & throw Carlos Gomez or Alcides Escobar out there just so Weeks can bat #3.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I agree with Jackalope and Invader3K. Move Weeks when the getting is good. No extensions for bad defenders.

If Weeks is the building block you speak of, then he'll bring plenty in trade too right?

Clearly I was not suggesting the Brewers build around Gomez. I was highlighting your suggestion that the Brewers not extend anyone with poor defense. If they did that, nobody on the team would be kept outside of Gomez.

Clearly I was not suggesting the Brewers build around Gomez. I was highlighting your suggestion that the Brewers not extend anyone with poor defense. If they did that, nobody on the team would be kept outside of Gomez.

Actually, Gomez has played poorly defensively too. Braun is alreay extended, so obviously he'll be here inspite of his defense. Hopefully he's moved to 1B, where he would fit better defensively.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

X ellence, last year you were telling Doug to get a Weeks deal done. What has changed?

Good point. He was showing big improvement defensively last year. What has changed is Weeks then suffered another injury, and has went back to playing dreadful defense. He's become too big to be a middle infielder.

Actually, Gomez has played poorly defensively too.

Not really sure how you can say this. He looks pretty good to my eyes.

His UZR/150 is -2.1.

His UZR/150 is -0.8 but his DRS is 1. My guess is his low playing time is at least partially to blame. He looks good playing CF and has had a UZR/150 over 10 every year before now. He may not have had enough chances at difficult balls.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Please stop using UZR/150 without having played 150 games.

That's like saying a guy is on pace for 184 HRs after the first week of the season. Or Ubaldo is on pace for 30 wins this year. It really means nothing, especially with how few chances Gomez has had playing CF this year.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

That's like saying a guy is on pace for 184 HRs after the first week of the season.

UZR/150 is better than using straight UZR.

I blame Wang.

That's like saying a guy is on pace for 184 HRs after the first week of the season. Or Ubaldo is on pace for 30 wins this year. It really means nothing, especially with how few chances Gomez has had playing CF this year.

I said Gomez has played poorly defensively, I didn't say I think he's a bad defender. He has played poorly so far defensively, not sure how you can argue that, it would be like saying Jimenez didn't start the season hot.

That's like saying a guy is on pace for 184 HRs after the first week of the season.

No. No. No. UZR/150 is UZR averaged over 150 games.

It is better if you use 2 or 3 seasons worth of data, but all its doing for the current season is extrapolating whatever the guy has done so far this year for 150 games.

MGL explains it better than I ever could:

http://www.insidethebook.com/ee/index.php/site/comments/i_really_wish_people_would_stop_quoting_a_players_uzr_150_part_way_through_/

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

No. No. No. UZR/150 is UZR averaged over 150 games.
I know that. I also know about needing UZR for at least 3 years and you still have to regress halfway to project defense. Yes UZR/150 is better than UZR. UZR is a basically a counting stat. Nobody here is using UZR/150 for projecting defense. We are using it to describe what a player has done so far this year. Yes UZR/150 is better than straight UZR because you can't compare two players using UZR unless they have a similar number of games.

I said Gomez has played poorly defensively, I didn't say I think he's a

bad defender. He has played poorly so far defensively, not sure how you

can argue that, it would be like saying Jimenez didn't start the season

hot.

UZR/150 can be flat out wrong or misleading without enough chances.

I blame Wang.

Gomez is the best CF I've ever seen defensively. He's made several excellent plays and also some fine throws. Cameron played CF like a wily veteran, but he could not run or throw like Carlos.

I've seen hundreds of CFs better than Gomez. Best ever? Hilarious.

Archived