Brewer Fanatic

Geoff Jenkins for Schroeder in booth

bobskube

The Brewers TV needs a breath of fresh air. Schroeder's phrases are well past tired. Jenkins sounded great tonight and would add a "fresh" perspective. I am sick of Schroeder's Juan Nieves and Bert Blyleven stories.

What do you think?

Schroeder is not the most pleasurable person off air either unless he is running his fantasy camp. Do you remember the Promo "Bill's Grill?" He lost that Piggly Wiggly spot to Jerry Garcia and was not happy about it. He then proceeded to curse Jerry out the next time he saw him. IMO, Schroeder needs to go.

Most of us don't have to listen to Bill outside of the booth, so I wouldn't consider that a reason to replace him. He's not the brightest guy out there and gets his fair share of ribbings from BA, but I like the fact that he's a down to earth guy who knows Wisconsin and Wisconsin baseball. I think DM can find a position for Jenks elsewhere in the organization. Now Cousell as manager I could get behind.......

I don't want to see Schroeder replaced. Nieves and Blyleven stories are much better than hearing Jenks talk about how he almost hit a breaking ball once
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Plus Schroeder actually has stories about when the Brewers were good. Do we really want stories about the late 90's and early 2000's?
I seriously would be interested in hearing about what the '02 Brewers talked about after games near the end of the season.

If they are going to bring back someone to replace BS, I would nominate Jeff Cirrilo.

I nominate Rillo to replace several pitchers on this staff.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

It is an opinion of mine that he is one that is very lazy and does not do much homework to get any better. If you are satisfied with mediocrity...you should enjoy Bill. He brings nothing substantial to the broadcasts and nothing fresh. He does not want to do any better and is happy with status quo.

In my business, we have many people like that. And although they may be great people, they are the most expendable when cuts are necessary because they are nothing more than adequate and show no initiative. Maybe I am overreacting, but it really irks me.

Brian and Bill have developed some nice chemistry, and on the TV side of things, I think that's important. You don't need to listen to everything they say because you can see what's going on for yourself.

Now, when it comes to the radio broadcast, I'd like to hear Jenks or Rillo drop in from time to time, or act as a "guest commentator" for a full game every now and then. Davey Nelson seems like a really nice, knowledgeable guy, but some people just get so nervous with a mic on that they have trouble articulating their thoughts.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Bill and Brian are fine. I haven't lived in Wisconsin in years and thus don't get to watch games all the time. I try to watch online when I can, and since I watch online, I also surf around and watch other games. Our duo is better than most, believe it or not.

Brian will not be here long. Is going to do bigger things and he makes Bill more tolerable. How bout Bill and D Sutton? It was painful. If Brian leaves and we have to deal with Coshun, you will again see how bad Bill is.

Schroeder is not the most pleasurable person off air either unless he is running his fantasy camp. Do you remember the Promo "Bill's Grill?" He lost that Piggly Wiggly spot to Jerry Garcia and was not happy about it. He then proceeded to curse Jerry out the next time he saw him. IMO, Schroeder needs to go.
I would have loved too see that one. I imagine it went something like this.

Bill: 'Hey 'jerk', you stole my endorsement gig, cost me 5 grand, what are you going to do about it?"

Jerry: "Chill, dude. They're only paying me 2 grand."

Bill: "You scab. Between that and the Good Feet Store deal, I'm out a lot of change."

I guess the real question is who is the bigger jerk off the air- Uecker or Schroeder? The Brewers color guys always seem to be jerks. Vuke was a dandy too.

The Brewers can do better than BS. Cirillo seems to be more articulate, have more personality and a better sense of humor. I think familiarity is more important than quality for whoever is deciding to renew BS's contract every year. There have been some very talented entertainers among players turned broadcasters. Regionally there are Uecker and dibs Harrelson, Stone and Piersall. BS might be standing in the way of another notable broadcaster.

The Brewers can do better than BS. Cirillo seems to be more articulate, have more personality and a better sense of humor. I think familiarity is more important than quality for whoever is deciding to renew BS's contract every year. There have been some very talented entertainers among players turned broadcasters. Regionally there are Uecker and dibs Harrelson, Stone and Piersall. BS might be standing in the way of another notable broadcaster.
I'd pay good money to listen to Piersall call the Brewers games this year. He'd probably last about 10 games before Mark A. would can him, because he'd absolutely rip these guys a new one. As far as I know he's still in good health and relatively sane. Though I've always kind of held a grudge against him because of the fact he disrespected Milwaukee by saying it 'was not a major league city' during a Brewers/Sox game on WGN back in the late 70's or early 80's, I also got a kick out of him because he always said exactly what was on his mind.

I thought the same thing tonight when i was watching Jenks . BS and BA are making these games intolerable. Also on Davey: I have listened to him a couple of times and thought he does a lot better job on the radio than he does on tv.

Brian will not be here long. Is going to do bigger things and he makes Bill more tolerable. How bout Bill and D Sutton? It was painful. If Brian leaves and we have to deal with Coshun, you will again see how bad Bill is.

Watching the team was painful, Sutton, like Matt V before him, made the broadcasts tolerable. BA is okay, but not entertaining enough to cover for the poor product on the field.

Bill is just tiresome, he has been saying the same things over and over and over again for how many years now? He needs to retire. I was disappointed when they extended him a few years ago. Plus it sounded like they even gave him a lot of say over who to hire this time...I bet he did not like working with Matt V. or Sutton.

I've heard from someone somewhat connected that Sutton and Schroeder did not get along at all.

As far as Schroeder, I guess I'm just not as picky about TV announcers as some. Most announcers will re-use stock phrases over and over. I think Schroeder brings enough to the table to still be entertaining enough. Anderson has grown on me quite a bit.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'm okay with Bill. He tends to be repetive, but he and Brian have good chemistry and is knowledge of the game is sufficient.

I really like that he's been subtly critical of Melvin this season. He often points out how Macha is hamstrung with no right handed bats on the bench. Yeah it's a glaring issue late in games, but he doesn't gloss over it. I've been watching baseball a long time, and so has Schroeder. It's very unusual for a team to have no right handed bench bats. He's also willing to point out when players aren't performing and he does it subtly. When Fielder walked last night, Anderson, as usual gushed about how he's maintained is OBP. Schroeder pointed out that the bigger need was runners being driven in. He didn't single out Fielder by name, but you knew what he was thinking, yeah the walks are great, but Fielder gets paid to drive in runs.

I very much like BA, but Rock could go away. I think I'd pick Jenks over Cirillo, solely becausde of the absolutely horribly Time Warner commercial Cirillo did last time he was here. He was stiffer than Davey Nelson. Of course, he might be much more relaxed "just talking baseball" as opposed to delivering scripted lines, but man that commercial was bad.

I don't mind Schroeder. He can get on my nerves sometimes, but all in all he does a good job.

I was at a bar watching the game last night so I didn't get to hear any of Jenkins time in the booth. I did hear him do an interview on 540 ESPN yesterday and afternoon with Drew Olson and Dan Needdles, that was pretty good.

I guess if they ever did replace Bill, I would be okay with Jenkins or Cirillo.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Just curious, where and when did this happen?

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Archived