Brewer Fanatic

Cliff Lee to Texas Rangers

Invader3K

Justin Smoak, Blake Beavan, Matthew Lawson and Josh Lueke.

Smoak and Beavan is an amazing deal. Good fastball and outstanding control. Past two years between AA and AAA he's walked 41 in 273 innings. Lack of strikeouts are a concern though.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Wow, that changed fast, on ESPN, they made sound like he was going to the Yankees for sure.
That's because ESPN doesn't know who the Rangers were. They had to do an internet search to find out who the Mariners were... but only because it sounded like they might have some dealing with the Yanks...

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Nice move by Jack Z to salvage something good out of this. He has a potential excellent slugger in Smoak. I don't think seattle needs quantity, but quality, and Smoak could be that. He's no sure thing - but no young player is.

What is Daniels thinking? This seems like a major overpay.

Smoak is likely 2-5 wins for the next 6 seasons.

Lueke has struck out 62 and walked 10 in 38.1 between AA and A+.

Beaven is 21 and has a 68:12 K:BB in AA this season.

Lawton is 25, but he has a .800 OBP heavy OPS in AA, and is decent filler.

If it gets them to the World Series, it might be worth it. But that is a lot to send for 1/2 a season of Cliff Lee.

Now Prince seems like a great fit for the Rangers as they are obviously going for it this year.

I don't think it is too much of an overpay. If the Rangers can't sign Lee they will get draft picks to help restock the farm.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

But that is a lot to send for 1/2 a season of Cliff Lee.

...made a little easier to bear when you'll be getting a first-rounder and a sandwich pick when the Yankees sign the Class A FA in the offseason.

What might have made it easier for the Rangers to deal Smoak was that Chris Davis seems to have re-discovered himself at AAA, and is absolutly dominating there. He had a great year in 2008.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

This is a lot like CC to the Brewers. Great trade for the Mariners, and if Lee can carry the Rangers' young staff deep into the post-season, and possibly win the Series, it will have been a good trade for the Rangers, too.

The Rangers just need to hope that the Yankees don't also sign the guy who's .02 points higher on the Elias rankings...

What might have made it easier for the Rangers to deal Smoak was that Chris Davis seems to have re-discovered himself at AAA, and is absolutly dominating there. He had a great year in 2008.

He dominated AAA last year too and then sucked again in the majors this year.

The Rangers just need to hope that the Yankees don't also sign the guy who's .02 points higher on the Elias rankings...

Dude, that's not even funny. Do you realize how epic that .02 points has turned out to be? You probably, do, and are just making me relive the horror. The Brewers had Mike Trout targeted last year, and the Angels picked him 1 spot in front of us. If we would we gotten the Yankees pick, we'd have drafted Trout, who is having 1 of the greatest 1st full seasons of any HS draftee in recent history. He is hitting 362/453/528 with 43 steals in 51 attempts while playing good defense in CF.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Dude, that's not even funny. Do you realize how epic that .02 points has turned out to be? You probably, do, and are just making me relive the horror. The Brewers had Mike Trout targeted last year, and the Angels picked him 1 spot in front of us. If we would we gotten the Yankees pick, we'd have drafted Trout, who is having 1 of the greatest 1st full seasons of any HS draftee in recent history. He is hitting 362/453/528 with 43 steals in 51 attempts while playing good defense in CF.

Well that's just depressing. I'd rather have not known that haha.

The Rangers are also getting $2.5 million from the M's to help pay for Lee's remaining salary this year. Chris Davis is coming up to play first base for the Rangers. Wouldn't count on them trading for Prince, Dunn, or any other players -- with their ownership situation (they're on "baseball welfare" while they try to find a buyer; there's been legitimate worry among players and employees that their paychecks almost bounced at the end of May), the only way they were able to do this deal was if they got Seattle to pick up a large portion of the tab. Since trading for Fielder would also require a significant salary commitment in 2011 aside from his remaining 2010 salary, I don't see it happening. I doubt many fans would like to see the Brewers lose Prince and give up money in the same deal.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

good point crewcrazy...but they could trade for Prince and then flip him in the off-season though. Its pretty clear that the Rangers are "going for it", and Chris Davis is not a proven player at all

would you want to battle the Yankees in the playoffs with Chris Davis in the heart of your lineup, or Prince (or Dunn)

I don't knowmuch about what the Rangers have to offer for Prince, so I'll ask what might be a dumb question:

Texas may now want Prince, but didn't Seattle just get two of the guys the Brewers would have wanted in trade for Prince? If so, why would they make a good trading partner now? Assuming pitching in return is a must, who else do they have to offer?

Archived