Brewer Fanatic

Can the Crew still get to 3 Mil Fans

brewmann04

I suppose it is possible, there were still people buying tickets at the stadium windows this morning. At this rate the only tickets that are bought and sold will be on Stubhub for a few dollars each (just like the last Cubs series last year).

Sure, just offer free beer.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

It's possible but it's not going to happen. They would need to average 39,728 for the remaining home games (and it will need to be higher than that because today's attendance is nowhere near that number). And they're not going to average 39,000 a game when the team is doing this poorly.

They would need 33,300 for 2.75 mil and 26,900 for 2.5 mil. At this point, I'll be happy as long as they get somewhere between 2.5 and 2.75 million for the season. This is the type of team that isn't worth showing up to watch right now.

If they make some good trades, interest will pick up as people want to see the new guys. But I doubt it pull it up to 3 million.
I think that's a very pertinent point. If Mark A has been hesitant to trade some of our top names because he's scared of losing ticket sales, at what point will he decide that more people will come because we trade some players in order to see our new players? I'd think it would have to be pretty soon.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Verified Member
I think there is no chance for 3 million. I also noticed that the team is offering more discounts and promotions compared to the past few years. So even if they were somehow able to get to 3 million, it still wouldn't reflect the same level of interest.

Community Moderator

It's impossible, even if they pull a miracle and make the playoffs. They are down about 3,000 fans per game compared with 2009.

However, this year's attendance has almost nothing to do with the poor play on the field. Attendance always follows the previous year's performance on the field. Attendance next year is almost guaranteed to be under 2.5 million, even if they make a big free agent signing.

It's impossible, even if they pull a miracle and make the playoffs. They are down about 3,000 fans per game compared with 2009.

However, this year's attendance has almost nothing to do with the poor play on the field. Attendance always follows the previous year's performance on the field. Attendance next year is almost guaranteed to be under 2.5 million, even if they make a big free agent signing.

Barring a really, really hot start to the year and contending all year long, we are looking at 2.3 or even 2.1 million next year

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

I don't know how far off they are but with the crap they keep running out on the field I can't see it. Macha has pretty much sucked the life out of this team they don't look are having fun at all and aren't fun to watch right now. I had free tickets from the game found out Bush was pitching and decided not to waste my time. Unless Yo is pitching I don't plan on going to another game this year.

They crossed 2 million sold in April, so 2.5 is a possible number still for the season total. 3 million will be out of the question, and I agree, next year is where that hit is really going to come.

That being said, you'll also probably have a lot of people not bothering to turn up to use their tickets for the remainder of the season.

I hope they don't draw well. Doug Melvin was safe as long as the fans were accepting of the team. He's actually quite popular, as he continues to take credit for Jack Z's work, even though he didn't even hire Jack Z. When people start staying home, them Attanosio will take a hard look at how few GMs with such abysmal records keep their job this long.

If people show up to support a loser, then we'll become the Cubs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
...as he continues to take credit for Jack Z's work, even though he didn't even hire Jack Z.
I don't want to turn this into a Melvin vs. JZ thread (as there are others), but I just don't get where you can separate these two so much:

1) I'm sure as GM, Melvin has some influence on the draft. I doubt he is completely hands off Not sure why people assume its all Jack Z's call.

2) Jack Z couldn't draft pitching. Our current team 100% reflects how our drafts have gone: found hitters with poor defense and can't draft pitching.

3) If its fair to give Jack Z all the credit for the draft and Melvin none of it, how much credit should be given to the regional scouts and not to Jack? Maybe Bruce Seid was the mastermind all along... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I'm not trying to say Melvin was the drafting mastermind and Jack Z wasn't. I'm just trying to say that the draft is a group effort for which Z might get too much credit.

I'm with X elllence. Why would anyone want them to draw well? All that would do would make the fans look like bigger saps in the owner's eyes. It's one thing to be just plain bad but making an effort, it's another to be playing well below your abilities. This team doesn't deserve support.

I'm not trying to say Melvin was the drafting mastermind and Jack Z wasn't. I'm just trying to say that the draft is a group effort for which Z might get too much credit.
It's not that he get's too much credit, it's that Jack Z get's none of the blame for our complete and total lack of home grown starting pitchers.... while Melvin seems to get all the blame.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I refuse to hope for failure, and I am not a sap.

Amen to that. I just don't see how getting less revenue and less interest is somehow good for the future. There are a couple assumptions being made that is hard to see as true.

1- Mark A. is really only interested in the bottom line.

2- He believes a good showing at the gates = team performance doesn't matter for continued attendance.

While I have no idea how much he really wants to win I also think it very cynical to think he doesn't care at all as long as the gate is good. I also have a hard time thinking he doesn't beleive performance is a key factor in continued attendance even if they draw well this season.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Especially in a small market, the Brewers need to win to continue interest. Because interest=revenue and more revenue means more ability to spend money to make the team better. Which means more interest and more money (to a limit at least).

Losing now and ending badly just kills interest for next year. Which would decrease revenues and probably limit the amount of money Mark will allow the club to spend, thus hand-cuffing the team for at least the short term.

If the Brewers were able to finish the rest of the season above 500 (especially after a few trades to make the team "new"), that would give some hope that they would be good again next year and help the draw next year. Unless they are going to undergo a complete rebuild, losing the rest of the season does more harm than good.

It's not that he get's too much credit, it's that Jack Z get's none of the blame for our complete and total lack of home grown starting pitchers.... while Melvin seems to get all the blame.

Yeah, that too.

All-Star Yovanni Gallardo says hi, and Manny Parra adds a polite nod.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Archived