Brewer Fanatic

Assessing July

viaarete

Thus far, through the 5th, the Brewers have gone 8-6 in the long stretch of their must-win games, with a home-heavy schedule. They currently sit at 2-3 in July, and are fast-approaching irrelevance in the playoff race. At some point, it has to be the case that the Crew just aren't going to do anything this year.

I think that time has come. If you disagree, what record do you think they need to maintain through the rest of the stretch that extends to about a week after the all-star break? I'd be willing to concede that a zero losses might make our playoff hopes a slightly-less dim possibility, but since that doesn't appear to be a legitimate possibility, it seems most intelligent to me that we start looking at trade offers immediately. If you still see some hope, where does it lie? How are we going to post a stellar record through the next three weeks?

Yeah, 10.5 out with the All-Star break a week away. I would say they are done. It would take a run of epic proportions and for the Reds and Cardinals both to collapse. I just don't see that happening. Let's start preparing for 2011 while watching some of our young players play.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I'm all for supporting the idea of "sell now!" as it is definitely my mantra, but I guess I was more interested in what the opposing point-of-view might be based on. I know from talking with casual fans around town that there are many folks who refuse to discuss trading away the offensive powerhouses that are Fielder and *cough ahem* Hart. I don't know if there are any people who are of that mindset on this board, but if there are, those are the people I'd like to hear from.

I'm all for supporting the idea of "sell now!" as it is definitely my mantra, but I guess I was more interested in what the opposing point-of-view might be based on.
There are other threads that go into way more depth although they are about a week old when things looked better. To be honest is is a very well tread subject bleeding into multiple threads.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I said this in another thread, but I don't think trading Hart and Fielder (guys who will soon be free agents and getting rather expensive) is necessarily a sell-off. I think it could be viewed as a re-tooling for next season. I think especially with Prince, fans will understand that the team simply can't pay him the kind of money he's looking for and necessarily remain competitive.

Supposedly the Brewers scouts are all meeting in Milwaukee this week. I expect some moves to start happening after the All-Star break, if not before. Melvin and Attanasio aren't dumb. The writing is on the wall that this just isn't the Brewers' season to make the playoffs again.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived