Brewer Fanatic

Geoff Jenkins to officially retire as a Milwaukee Brewer.

Invader3K

crewcrazy...he's slightly above mediocre based on major league standards. Comparing him to Matt Meiske, David Hulse, Scott Podsednik, Marc Newfield, Turner Ward, and any of the other pathetic LF's we've had makes him look very good. His 116 OPS+ supports this.

If he's being rewarded for being a solid player that played for 10 seasons in Milwaukee, then I can see this. Let's not confuse it with him being a great Brewer though.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
or whenever they threw an off speed pitch down and in.
Geoff Jenkins use to get me free drinks because of this.

I would often watch brewer games at bars, whenever he was up late in the game with two strikes and men on, i would turn to the guy next to me and say "bet you a drink the pitcher throws it low and in, and jenks swings." Sure, i lost a few, but i was probably batting .600 in those situations(which was much better than Geoff was).

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Jenkins was no superstar but was solidly above average (in no small part because of his very good defense). He also struck out a lot instead of weakly grounding out to SS, which is also a big no no for some fans.

I think he just provided an emotional outlet for Brewer fans who were frustrated with the perennially bad Brewer teams of the 90's. And based on a couple of posts in this thread, it appears that a few are still bitter. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

why? Vaughn, Burnitz, Cirillo, Loretta, Nilsson, etc all weren't given these perks. Jenkins was mediocre. He was a .277/.347 hitter with an average of 21 homers, 40 walks, 120 strikeouts, etc. He's the epitomy of a slightly above-average player that fans over-embraced.
It's a one day contract and first pitch (the latter honor usually reserved for employees of various corporate season ticket holders, and the like). It's not like they're retiring his number or giving him a statue next to Robin Yount and Hank Aaron.

I give Jenkins credit for being a Brewer for a decade, and sticking with the team through some really rough times. He could have moved on to greener pastures, and didn't. That's more than can be said for a multitude of others who gave lip service to liking Milwaukee. This gesture is well deserved from that stand point.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I think he just provided an emotional outlet for Brewer fans who were frustrated with the perennially bad Brewer teams of the 90's. And based on a couple of posts in this thread, it appears that a few are still bitter.

I reserve most of that dislike for Wes Helms.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

why? Vaughn, Burnitz, Cirillo, Loretta, Nilsson, etc all weren't given these perks. Jenkins was mediocre. He was a .277/.347 hitter with an average of 21 homers, 40 walks, 120 strikeouts, etc. He's the epitomy of a slightly above-average player that fans over-embraced.
http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/4709/rachelgp6.jpg

Generally I don't much care for these kind of one-day contract things, but the Jenkins era was such a dismal time that I think this is actually kind of cool. Despite all the losing, the guy wants to close his playing career as a Brewer.

He's embracing those days while so many of us are trying to forget them.

It's nice that the franchise and city mean so much to him.

Jenkins' legacy is that "dive when you don't have to" style of making routine catches that Braun has adopted.
Except that advanced defensive metrics shows Braun as well below average and Jenkins as well above average. I won't pretend to have a better memory than anyone else but I remember Jenkins as being the kind of defender that played deep because he was more comfortable aggressively coming in for a ball. Whatever his strategy was, it apparently worked.

Jenkins' legacy is that "dive when you don't have to" style of making routine catches that Braun has adopted.
Braun is at the opposite of the defensive spectrum from Jenkins in both effort and ability.

Normally, I don't really care for these one day deals either, but I think it's cool that Jenkins wanted to do it this way. My guess is that he has some gig lined up with the team. Going further, he always seemed to genuinely like playing in Milwaukee and embraced the community which is pretty rare these days. In a way, he's a little like a Generation X version of Gorman, who also ended his career as a Brewer back in 86 which was awesome, I still remember the buzz the day they signed him and his first game back. When the Brewers were playing Jason Bourgeois and Corey Patterson late last year, I wanted them to do the same and bring Jenks back for a last hurrah, what was there to lose at that point?

Some of these other guys that have been mentioned might not have asked for the 1-day retire thing. Not like Nilsson left on good terms and most of these other players had some time in away from the 'Crew. Geoff is closer to a "lifer" then Vaughn; et al.

How about the cynics lighten up a bit and just enjoy the fact that a solid player and a good guy feels strongly enough about the team and the city to want to have the symbolic moment of retiring as a Brewer? It's not hurting anybody and is actually pretty cool.

Bravo Brewers & Geoff. I remember the newspaper page he took out when he left thanking the fans. He didn't have to do that, but it was a nice touch from a classy guy. He was always great to the fans and really embraced Milwaukee. The guy was a very good player on some very bad teams. It's nice to actually have some fond memories from those darker Brewers days and Jenks supplied many of them. Thanks Geoff...now bring us a winner on Friday!

I think it would be awesome if he took the ball for the first pitch and trot out to the mound but then sprint out to left (or right) field and gun one to the plate for the first "pitch."

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Bravo Brewers & Geoff. I remember the newspaper page he took out when he left thanking the fans. He didn't have to do that, but it was a nice touch from a classy guy. He was always great to the fans and really embraced Milwaukee. The guy was a very good player on some very bad teams. It's nice to actually have some fond memories from those darker Brewers days and Jenks supplied many of them. Thanks Geoff...now bring us a winner on Friday!
The guy hit 200 homers here, and in my view, definitely would have played his whole career in Milwaukee had he not been forced out. Give him his day. On an unrelated note. I'm still waiting for the newspaper page that some here said Suppan would take out.

Well, it could all be a hoax and look-a-like Randy Wolf will accept the honors on his behalf.

Actually this has been worked out--Favre is actually signing a one day deal to retire as Geoff Jenkins and Geoff Jenkins in 2 years will sign a one year deal to retire as a Favre in Green Bay. This keeps Ted Thompson and Favre from ever having to be in the same room ever again.

Obviously have a few memories of Geoff, but I'll never forget that throw of his when he gunned down Aramis Ramirez at third while throwing from the RF warning track.
That is one of the greatest throws I've ever seen. Unfortunately, I don't remember the date. I don't suppose anyone knows where the highlight could be found online?

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Man, I used to love Jenks.

Funny how some are still down on him.

The guy hustled and played his heart out all the time and usually for a team that was going to lose 90-100 games.

He was a class act in Milwaukee and won a ring in Philly having a clutch hit when it really mattered late in the year.

Welcome home Geoff. We miss you bro.

Archived