Brewer Fanatic

Hart Trade Thread: Latest-- Does Hart's injury mean no deal?

I don't know if the Brewers could do better than Minor for Hart so if that's ever put on the table I take it and run. My second choice would be Davis.

Side note, this has been the bright spot on the season, Hart (seemingly) resurrecting his trade value. I never would have imagined we'd be here in July talking about the possibility of adding a young potential #2 or #3 starter for him.

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to be clear, Hart has done a whole lot more than just resurrect his trade value - he has had what I consider the best overall statistical year of any national league outfielder so far.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/stats/byposition?pos=LF,CF,RF&conference=NL&year=season_2010&qualified=1&sort=25

While I can get on board with a trade of Hart, lets not overlook the value of Hart currently.

Just to be clear, Hart has done a whole lot more than just resurrect his trade value - he has had what I consider the best overall statistical year of any national league outfielder so far.

I agree, which is why it's so good to see the rumored offers that are swirling about. What scares me is 2008, which is the last year he had a good first half. Although the .831 OPS he sported isn't near this year's level, the second half of 2008 saw Corey Hart sporting an abyssmal .659 OPS. That was followed up by a .753 OPS 2009.

If there was any certainty to Hart, I'd be much more willing to ride him out through next year and take the Type A compensation. I just have this bad feeling that Corey Hart hasn't magically found all the answers, and therefore will have a prolonged period of bad baseball. Whether that's the second half of this season, or next year, I just believe it's going to happen. If someone's willing to give us a very good young pitcher who can fit into our rotation for the next 5-6 years, I'd pull the trigger. Let someone else ride the Hart train of really high "highs" and really low "lows."

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Davis throws a low 90's sinker and a plus curveball. The presence of the sinker, for whatever reason, has never really translated into a good GB%. He also throws a change and slider, neither of which at last check were big-league average pitches. According to BA, he has the upside of a a #2 if he can get a consistent third pitch. Knowing the Brewers, they would probably try to get him to throw the change and maybe abandon the slider.

I'd rather have Minor, I think, but then I think that if the Braves want to trade a pitching prospect, there's probably something wrong with him.

In any case, unless Hart gets injured, sure looks like he's gone by the end of the month.

Davis throws a low 90's sinker and a plus curveball. The presence of the sinker, for whatever reason, has never really translated into a good GB%. He also throws a change and slider, neither of which at last check were big-league average pitches. According to BA, he has the upside of a a #2 if he can get a consistent third pitch. Knowing the Brewers, they would probably try to get him to throw the change and maybe abandon the slider.

I'd rather have Minor, I think, but then I think that if the Braves want to trade a pitching prospect, there's probably something wrong with him.

In any case, unless Hart gets injured, sure looks like he's gone by the end of the month.

You just had to say it, didn't you? If his lanky you-know-what falls into the wall going back for a ball tonight and tears up a knee, I know who I'm blaming.

Phil Rogers says the Rays are getting really serious about Hart.

http://twitter.com/ChiTribRogers/status/18308793520

Seems vague. What does "getting really serious" mean? Are they actually talking with Doug Melvin, or just thinking about it?

Edit: I love this analysis I found on it:

Back in my day "getting serious" meant that you had made her a mix tape

but you hadn't moved past making out. I'm not sure what the kids mean by

that today.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

According to BA, he has the upside of a a #2 if he can get a consistent third pitch. Knowing the Brewers, they would probably try to get him to throw the change and maybe abandon the slider.

Knowing the Brewers, they'd probably decide that with two plus pitches, he'd make a great setup man for Axford

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I really hope, at this point, we are trying to expand deals. I like that Coffey was added to Hart in the SF rumor in hopes of landing Bumgarner instead of Sanchez plus. Time for us to add the "plus" and get the top pitcher we can get. Maybe if we did Coffey/Bush/Hart, SF would be willing to give up Bumgarner? Maybe not.

Point is, for Tampa Bay, Davis for Hart might be ok, but I'm not overwhelmed by that offer. I'd rather deal Hart + for Minor. Maybe Hart and Coffey could get that done. Or I'd be looking to see what TB would need us to give for Davis AND Garza.

But it's time for us to add the plus rather than getting lesser at the top and receiving the "plus".

i really like the idea of giving hart+ for davis and garza. i just dont the the rays would make that deal during the season. they wouldnt deal 2 quality starters in the middle of a pennant chase. maybe if garza could be a player to be named later since we dont really need another starter. i really could see mcgee instead of garza if they were to trade 2 pitchers. mcgee's arm issues worry me though. i'd be ok with hart/villanueva for garza/davis. villanueva is having a good year and has experience starting. hell, give hart/villanueva/coffey for garza/davis.

I think we really need to look at what brings the most talent back, while maintaining the offense we have. The only options in my opinion are:

-Resign Prince. Trade Corey and Rickie
-Resign Corey and Rickie. Trade Prince

In either option we lose something on offense, but will gain enough SP to hopefully tip the balance. I have found myself believing Rickie is the key to the Brewers offense so I am against dealing him. I believe this Hart (.290, 35-40 HR) isn't exactly for real but I believe the .275, 25-30 HR is legtimate. I go with the option of trading Prince and pieces (Parra, Jeffress) and hoping we can find a taker on a multi-SP deal.

I like Rodent's proposal of a Davis and Garza deal but without looking Garza has to be a FA very shortly with his time in the Majors already. Having said that, a re-signed Weeks and Hart and a Prince-Parra-etc.. for Davis-Garza, etc or a Cain-Bumgarner-etc with SF, etc...sure seems to give us more than enough O, with two pieces to add to Gallardo.

Not sure if either team would be willing to part with 2 pitchers of these guys caliber.

I don't think anything will get you Garza this season as TB will need him to pitch for a playoff run. Maybe a Fielder trade in the offseason might do it, but then I don't think TB will be as interested due to salary concerns. I'd love to get Davis plus a low A type power arm for Hart, but I'd still prefer Minor from the Braves. Would a Hart/Coffey for Davis/ Colome be out of the question?

I'd be shocked. Hellickson is major league ready. If they trade pitching, it will be someone in their current rotation to make room for Hellickson.
Maybe, maybe not. Could be that TB would rather go with more "proven" pitching than to assume Hellickson will be very good for a playoff team in his first half season in the big leagues. I know I would gamble the way you are thinking if I am TB, but that doesn't mean they would.

I'd certainly right now be trying to add a sweetener or two to Hart to see if we can land Hellickson. Coffey and a prospect around the 8-12 range with Hart and see if TB can be persuaded to give us Hellickson.

The one thing I consider is the division that Davis is pitching in and also being in the American League, his stats are going to be somewhat inflated. Of course the inverse to that is a NL guy going to the AL and having to add onto his stats.

I like Rodent's proposal of a Davis and Garza deal but without looking Garza has to be a FA very shortly with his time in the Majors already.

Actually, Garza's season with the Twins wasn't a full season, so this is only his 3rd full season, meaning he needs 3 more full seasons to become a FA.

I would like to see the Brewers explore a 3 team deal, with Tampa giving up a pitcher and BJ Upton, with Upton going to the 3rd team for another pitcher, or even a good defense power hitting RF.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Wade Davis' numbers this year look a lot like Manny Parra.

He walks too many (4.5/9), but Manny has a much better K rate.

However, he is young, would be under our control for years and would get to move to the NL Central. I could get behind it, but I'm not thrilled.

I'd rather deal Hart + for Minor. Maybe Hart and Coffey could get that done.
The Braves are not in the market for pitchers....their strength is pitching depth in fact they have a few worthy guys stuck in AAA that are major league ready.... what the Braves need are (A) a middle of the order right handed bat ...aka Hart, and (B) a 3B of the future

I'd rather have Minor, I think, but then I think that if the Braves want

to trade a pitching prospect, there's probably something wrong with

him.

Actually the Braves badly want to keep Minor because (A) he's their only southpaw starter prospect in the near horizon & (B) they don't have a southpaw starter in Atlanta ....they really, really like Minor....

So who does that leave? Hart + Gamel for Medlen plus ?????? (a pitching prospect not named Teheran, Vizcaino, Kimbrel, Minor, Delgado or Carlos Perez) ....I'm a fan of (1a) the Braves & (1b) the Brewers so I consider myself neutral & honestly looking for a deal that work's for both organizations

I'd rather deal Hart + for Minor. Maybe Hart and Coffey could get that

done.

I'd just hate to give up two major league players for one prospect. It's awfully risky.

I really think the Brewers will keep Hart and move Prince instead.

I actually think it'll be the other way around. I think Hart's value is going up and Prince's is going down. I think Hart gets traded this month and Prince goes in the offseason. UNLESS....how does the 2012 draft look http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif. If they let Hart, Fielder, and Weeks all walk after the 2011 season, they could possibly get 4 first round and 3 supplemental picks in 2012.

If they let Hart, Fielder, and Weeks all walk after the 2011 season, they could possibly get 4 first round and 3 supplemental picks in 2012.
Not when the Yankees sign all three.

Although, it would make for a very exciting draft. Assuming they hit on half of those picks, that would be a great core coming up to pair with our young pitching.

Archived