Brewer Fanatic

Hart Trade Thread: Latest-- Does Hart's injury mean no deal?

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hart to ATL for Mike Minor, Fielder to SFG for Madison Bumgarner and I would be one happy dude!

Do I think both will happen? Probably not. And I think the Brewers would have to throw something in on both trades to make 'em happen, but a rotation in 2011 of Gallardo, Bumgarner, Minor, Wolf as the #4 pitcher and Parra as our #5 would be a vast improvement...

I have to admit, I think people are getting ahead of themselves thinking Hart is going to bring in some major league ready ace-in-the-making pitcher.

We probably will all be surprised with how crappy the return is...like Gomez for Hardy (even though this has not been that bad).

You know things are bad, when the Giants don't want to trade Sanchez for Hart. I guess Corey's history is making people wary of giving up too much for him.

Are you a Giants fan or something. Pretty interesting that this is your first post ever here.

If not, I guess...welcome.

You know things are bad, when the Giants don't want to trade Sanchez for Hart. I guess Corey's history is making people wary of giving up too much for him.
Probably some of that and some of the fact that if the Giants trade one of their current starting five, they don't have anyone in their system to replace him. If we added someone like Dave Bush, it'd probably make it more palatable to the Giants, but then we'd ask more in return.

I just don't think Sanchez is the right target. Since we're not competing for anything this year, why trade for someone we'll only have for a short time, and who wouldn't be that significant an upgrade over what we currently have? I'd much rather we get someone like Minor who has some upside and who we'd control for more years.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I'm a Brewers fan, I hope the Brewers don't insist on major league starters or major league ready pitchers, just get the best prospects period. This team needs so much help that there is no short fix.

I hope they can package a pitcher(s) (Everyone except for Yo) with a everyday player(s) for a bunch of grade A prospects. But if Cliff Lee can only bring back an overrated Montero, realistically what can we expect?

Bill Shanks (Owner of the Braves page @ Scout.com & host of a Braves radio show....he's VERY connected to Braves mgmt & has an excellent track record on these type of rumor vs fact things) posted this @ http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=248&f=2070&t=6104277

The Braves have interest in Corey Hart, but they are not going to trade

Mike Minor for him.

The general concesus is the Braves-nation HATES this rumor....

I just can't see Hart returning a Baseball America top 50 pitcher (Minor is included in their latest ranking in the 26-50 category) ....btw Lawrie is ranked #15 http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/top-100-prospects/2010/2610314.html

The Braves have interest in Corey Hart, but they are not going to trade

Mike Minor for him.

Exactly. This is not going to happen. Minor is the type of player we could hope Fielder to bring, not Hart.

If no Minor or Bumgarner for Hart, I think you just stand pat until the offseason. I don't want a potpouri of mediocre 'prospects' for him, and that's all the Giants can offer. Let Melvin's replacement deal either Hart or Fielder, with the one that stays playing first next year.

Don't either of these teams have some guys in AA that would be worth taking a chance on? You can't expect Bumgarner for Hart. Bumgarner just has too much potential. He'd be a guy you'd have to acquire in the offseason so SF could replace him, but I still don't think you could get him.

Absolutely not. Standing pat on Hart right now has "Bill Hall" written all over it. But I agree that I would want a Minor/Bumgarner type arm over Sanchez.
That could happen, but I'd rather take that chance. The Giants obviously aren't giving up Bumgarner, but now they don't want to move Sanchez either. What are you going to do, let the Giants choose the players they want to include in the trade? Hart has talent, and he's been one of the best hitters in the game this year. I'm not giving him away for a package of prospects from the mid to low minors. That has 'Ben Diggins' written all over it. The Brewers should have absolutely no urgency to move Hart or Fielder. They are not impending free agents, the team doesn't need to dump salary, and the this isn't like 2001 where the they are years from being competitive.

Absolutely not. Standing pat on Hart right now has "Bill Hall" written all over it. But I agree that I would want a Minor/Bumgarner type arm over Sanchez.

I'm not high on Hart, but the Brewers don't need to rush trading him if they cant get a decent SP prospect. Hart can help this team next over taking a chance on someone like Gamel in RF. There would still be a chance to move him in the offseason and next year if he can continue to hit. And if he continues to hit, he could return some nice prospects.

Bumgarner should NEVER be mentioned again in this thread. period.

My sentiments exactly. IMO, it would make all too much sense to sell high on a player who, like someone said earlier, is playing his way to Type A FA status. Honestly, I would rather take AA guys with high celings than players who are either entering arbitration or are a FA within a year. This is the organizational view point that has KILLED this franchise, taking the "proven" pitcher who has already logged a lot of innings or has a setback of some kind. This needs to stop. We no longer can use FA to stop the flood. If it comes down to it, I take a FA hitter at 100 million over a FA pitcher.

Don't either of these teams have some guys in AA that would be worth

taking a chance on?

Braves have a few interesting prospects: (Stats thru 07.09.10)

* AAA Gwinnett... 22 year old RHP/closer Craig Kimbrel (Braves #5 prospect by BA) 1-0-12 saves 0.84 ERA, 0.94 WHIP, 12.66 K's/9 ...throws 97+big slider.... spent some time in Atlanta before being optioned to get consistent work: 2-0-0 1.08, 1.68, 16.20 (yep, 15 k's in 8.1 innings!) ....considered Braves closer of the future.... probably not available in a Hart trade

* AA Mississippi...RHP/starter Brandon Beachy (23 years old) ... 3-1 1.13, 1.01, 11.31 & .199 opponents BA !!!

* AA Mississippi...RHP/reliever Juan Abreu (25) 3-0-5 saves 1.69 ...supposedly touches 100 mph ...rebounding after slow start

* AAA Gwinett...LHP/reliever Mike Dunn (25) 2-0-7 1.11, 1.08, 11.95 ...consistently throws 95-97 ....former Yankee came to Braves in the Vazquez trade but is blocked by the deep Atlanta bullpen

* AA Mississippi.... corner OF Willie Cabrera (23) .... .328, .387, .460 ....makes contact; strikes out only once every 10.86 plate appearance ...11 SB but only 3 homers

Based off the numbers, Beachy is a guy who would interest me. I'm a bit concerned that he wasn't in BA's top 10 Braves prospects entering the season though. Minor was number 4 and may have actually elevated his ranking with the season he's had so far.

Bumgarner should NEVER be mentioned again in this thread. period.

Bumgarner, Bumgarner, Bumgarner.

While it's very doubtful the Giants would part with him for a package centered around Hart, crazier things have happened. Most of us remember the Mets trading Kazmir for Victor Zambrano. That being said, the Brewers shouldn't be inclined to 'sell' anyone unless the deal makes sense for them.

Sanchez doesn't really do it for me, and I wouldn't acquire him straight up for Hart. It could make some sense to acquire Sanchez and Ishikawa for Hart if the Giants would also take on a guy like Wolf. An Ishikawa/Katin platoon at 1B is an intriging one for me and I'm not a big fan of Wolfs. Moreover, I favor balance, and I wouldn't want to see a rotation with Wolf, Sanchez, and Parra in it let alone Davis and/or Narveson.

Right, but Sabean isn't a complete dolt, like Phillips. If you were looking at dealing with an organization that has a completely inept GM, I could understand making that comparison. I have to agree with 804Sox & others -- Bumgarner for Hart is stand-up material, not reality.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Sabean once traded Francisco Liriano, Joe Nathan and Boof Bonser to the Twins for one season of A. J. Pierzynski. No GM is immune from making a bad deal.

People also need to remember that any deal is very unlikely to be a one for one swap. While Bumgarner for Hart may seem out of place, it's possible that an agreement could be made around various players from both teams. The Brewers may even kick in money to even the salary differences or send a hitting prospect along with Hart. In any case, I'd be shocked if a deal involving Hart ended up being a one for one trade.

Sabean once traded Francisco Liriano, Joe Nathan and Boof Bonser to the Twins for one season of A. J. Pierzynski. No GM is immune from making a bad deal.

People also need to remember that any deal is very unlikely to be a one for one swap. While Bumgarner for Hart may seem out of place, it's possible that an agreement could be made around various players from both teams. The Brewers may even kick in money to even the salary differences or send a hitting prospect along with Hart. In any case, I'd be shocked if a deal involving Hart ended up being a one for one trade.

So he traded one top prospect, a 29 year old reliever, and a middling starting prospect for a top fight catcher in his mid 20s? People always point out that trade but it relies on Joe Nathan becoming a dominating closer at age 29and keeping that up in his 30s and Pierzynski being hated in the clubhouse in San Francisco. As a talent deal it wasn't lopsided at the time. Now Villaneuva for Franklin, that giving up something for Wayne Franklin.

Right, but Sabean isn't a complete dolt, like Phillips.

Phillips didn't make that trade. Jim Duquette did. Even then, I don't know how much of the blame goes on Duquette and how much should be assigned to Mets ownership.

I wouldn't mind a Hart for Minor trade but I find it hard to believe they'd trade him so soon after beginning his career. The arm that they should really go for in ATL's system is Randall Delgado.

Archived