Brewer Fanatic

Hart Trade Thread: Latest-- Does Hart's injury mean no deal?

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That article makes him sound like the Braves pitching version of Matt LaPorta which I hope is true.

Im not sure how I feel about Kawakami. Hes alot better than his record suggests but would he be worth 6.6M as a back end starter?

@WiscoSportsNut

My understanding is that he projects as more of a middle of the rotation starter.
We need top end pitching. Wolf is a 3 and you can always go buy a 3. The established FA 1s and 2s are hard to buy, see CC Sabathia. We need to somehow get more 1s or 2s even if they are 2 plus years away. If Hart can't get us one, I would put Hart into a package deal that does get us one. Does Hart and Lawrie get us one? Teams do get desparate when they feel like they are 1 player away from being a legit championship contender. Less so recently but lots of past successful teams are in a fight to make the playoffs (NY, Boston, Atlanta, Philly) and they might part with a very good prospect for the right players.

If true, that would be a great return for Hart. Minor looks like a really solid pitcher, and even if nothing more than a #2/3 he'll be making the minimum for a couple years and under control for 6 years.

I get what you're saying, but look at what Wolf cost. I didn't mind that signing, but you can't buy a whole rotation of guys like that. It's a recipe for overpaid mediocrity.

I really don't want to see Lawrie traded if possible, as he seems to be the only impact bat really progressing well in the upper levels of the system right now (ie. a guy who can possibly play in MLB next year and be a solid starter...although Cain probably falls in that category too).

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I've merged the Peter Gammons rumor thread into the existing Hart rumor thread, as Minor was already being discussed there.

I'd have to agree that Minor would be a much better return than Sanchez. A guy with #3 potential is nothing to scoff at...there are very, very few guys projected to be front-of-the-rotation guys while in the minors, and even fewer of those guys actually live up to that potential.

Edit: More good comments in that Talking Chop link. Most of the people there seem to hate the idea, and aren't convinced Hart would be an upgrade over a Matt Diaz/Eric Hinske platoon in LF. They're probably right.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Someone remind me why the Giants need offense??? Or is it just our pitching....

Not sure why people think we can throw in our undesirables in a trade to get a better return. Hoffman can't get anyone out. Adding him to a trade is actually decreases the value of our offering. Villaneuva has some value, but pretty limited. Hart+Hoffman+CV < Hart alone unless we pick up all of Hoffman's salary.

So far in his short career, Minor has 141K / 39 BB in 113.2 IP. 0.64 ERA last year, combined 3.70 ERA between AAA & AA this season. Seemingly good control and high K rate.

I don't know what his "stuff" looks like, but it seems this is the type player I'd love to see Melvin target. Six years of team control of a good, near-MLB-ready starting pitcher would be a nice return for Hart.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Someone remind me why the Giants need offense??? Or is it just our pitching....

Not sure why people think we can throw in our undesirables in a trade to get a better return. Hoffman can't get anyone out. Adding him to a trade is actually decreases the value of our offering. Villaneuva has some value, but pretty limited. Hart+Hoffman+CV < Hart alone unless we pick up all of Hoffman's salary.

Because Kawakami is in their bullpen and is making a pretty large salary. Villy does have value and Trevor is just to match the salaries a little closer.

Man, if this Minor rumor is true. I'd jump on that in a second. And Hart makes a ton of sense for the Braves as their LF's are hitting .242/.292/.364/.656 on the season so Hart would be a pretty big upgrade for them, even if he does regress some.

There was some relevant questions in keith laws chat today on ESPN.

"Kyle (CT)[/b] Would you trade Mike Minor right now? What do you think the Braves could get for him?

Klaw [/b]Yes. I think he could be the central prospect in a deal for a second-tier player - not a Lee or a Haren, I mean.

Jack (Houston)[/b] What kind of stuff does Mike Minor have? I'm hearing rumors of a Corey Hart-Mike Minor trade, sound like a good deal to you?

Klaw [/b]I wouldn't trade anything of value for Hart. His first half is way over his head, and hitters who can be beaten that easily would scare me if I was looking to acquire them for a playoff run."

I hate Keith Law with a passion...

@WiscoSportsNut

If it's Minor straight up for Hart, I'll take it. A year and a half ago, when Hart was in the midst of constantly flailing away at pitches thrown at the left handed batters box, I don't think anyone thought we'd get anything for him, maybe a A or AA scrub. But to get a high draft pick that is already in AAA......GET IT DONE!!!

I dont see how an all-star OF, the last 2 of 3 years - who is still relatively cheap next season - plus two decentish relievers - for a contract filler pitcher that is struggling and a 2nd tier prospect is overpaying...

Sometimes we really, really discount MLB talent. It's not like Hart is old and he is not being "beat" like he was last season as Law asserts. He is a changed man at the plate right now... guys get better as their careers progress in their mid to late 20's ... who knew.

the money will basically match up in the end. Villenueva and Hoffman can be excised from the roster at years end and Hart will probably cost around 8 million+ or so... Kenshin's contract next season is 7.33 M i believe. 3/23 is what he signed for. He was paid 8.33 year one, 7.33 this season.. so, 7.33 next year if my math is right.

Cot's Contracts has Kawakami as making $6.67M this year and next. The Brewers would probably end up saving a bit of money considering Hart's expected arby raise, and while his performance isn't great, the Brewers would basically have him on a 1.5 year contract and could easily part ways with him in 2011. I'd think of him as Doug Davis' or Dave Bush's replacement at the bottom of the rotation, and a stopgap until a guy like Rivas is ready.

The Brewers could certainly do a lot worse.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Archived